Community Event / Creation Read this post, unless you can think of something else to do. Drabbles #187: A Backup Plan & Luck

Pick three of these stories

• 01 - Galactic Midden - Mashy & Vingty and their battle to be on top

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • 02 - Frank - The Best Laid Plans

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • 03 - Alien - It's Not Just For Whales

• 04 - Erik Marcaigh - Alternative Facts

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • 05 - Edith_The_Hutt - With appologies to Mr. Monroe

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • 06 - Listeri69 - I spy with my little eye, something rhyming with Luck.....

• 07 - RoyalHankey - Mission number 53799y-37628-hgfgedv-uyt-nwg require a team to take out a base con

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • 08 - Futuristic Kung Fu - A mission from Edith The Hutt

• 09 - MrMogadon - Luck, huh, what is it good for?

• 10 - Simoof - The Incident at Hutton Prime - a story of embarrasment, love and a circumsised willy.

• 11 - moose666 - Tightmouthed Larry strikes again.

• 12 - FelixBast - The back-up, back-up, back-up, plan.

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • 13 - phong - letters alone

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • 14 - Commander Sir Samuel Vimes - How to avoid pirates

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Read this post, unless you can think of something else to do. Drabbles #187: A Backup Plan & Luck

0bdTfoU.jpg

Congratulations Edith_The_Hutt, a worthy winner. I'm flattered by those who thought my Drabble matched yours, and allowed me to tie for first place.

Our choices for the week are "A Backup Plan" & "Luck".

Psykokow hosts the Abraka-Drabble live reading show and "comedy" hour at 7pm GMT, Fridays on...
HUTTON ORBITAL RADIO! http://streaming.radionomy.com/HuttonOrbitalRadio (audio only)
LAVE RADIO! http://laveradio.com/ (audio only)
TWITCH! http://www.twitch.tv/psykokow/ (audio & visual)
and will also be uploaded to his You-tube channel & anywhere else he can inflict the world with our drabblings!

Come back on Sunday night to see how well your Drabble has done. At least come back before Monday 15:00 to check if you're the one that has to provide us with a topic.

Please vote. And a warning to all of the contestants, Don't vote for yourself or else I'll lock you in a dungeon in which you have to roll a double six to escape.

01 - Galactic Midden - Mashy & Vingty and their battle to be on top

"How's this competition idea Mashy?" said Vingty...

"Reluctantly crouched at the starting line,
engines pumping and thumping in time,
the green light flashes, the flags go up,
churning and burning, they yearn for the cup"

"Cool!" interrupted Radio Eden's DJ, "a retro trophy race, that'll definitely win the ratings. But we've no cups, Hutton Orbital Radio have 'em all."

"They deftly manoeuvre and muscle for rank".

"Stop already! I've found the prize" said Mashy, spotting the ancient ABBA cup, lanyard and Leesti dance pants in the display cabinet. "Well that's lucky".

"Yeah!!! He's going the distance, he's going for speed".

02 - Frank - The Best Laid Plans

The clansmen sneaked around the hills of New Caledonia. Hamish couldn't believe his luck. Shushing Jimmy, he pointed to a wee timorous hairy beastie that was busy with a tuft of heather.

"We use zapguns. I dinnae want meat peppered with bullets."

The creature squeaked expressively, wrinkling it's nose at its purple meal, oblivious to the hunters creeping up on it.

There was a sudden whoosh-bang! and then a large smoking crater where the animal once was. "Jimmy! Whit's your gun's setting?"

"Chieftain's no gawn'na be happy. Maybe we can make something that tastes the same... using a sheep's stomach..."

03 - Alien - It's Not Just For Whales

The wild Haggis suddenly found itself falling from space. One minute two hoo-mans were sneaking up on it, and then it was in the upper atmosphere of its world.

As it was falling a potted plant was next to it. The Haggis tried to start a conversation.
"Hello, I'm ... a thing"
The plant was silent.
"Hmm, what's this thing coming towards me? It looks like a bomb hit it. All the buildings are low and made of glass, and shiney, like they ... glow ... glass that glows ... Glass glow." The Haggis hit a solid object.

That's how Haggis nearly killed Simoof.

04 - Erik Marcaigh - Alternative Facts

Simoof was busy doing what he always did best. Stare off into space.

As luck would have it, his next meal was coming straight for him. He leaned back further in his lounge chair and opened his mouth just as the Haggis was about to hit him.

"Mmmmmmm... Well, that's my one meal for this week. And it was free," he exclaimed happily to no one in particular. Because, you know, no one pays attention to him.

The potted plant smiled to itself, "At least I'm the backup plan," as it crushed Simoof's skull completely.

And THAT'S how Simoof died.

05 - Edith_The_Hutt - With appologies to Mr. Monroe

Lakon Type VII, "Tim'rous Beastie" glided above the ice, indigo rays from overhead glistening in a million crystals below; three billion years of frost scavenged from gases described, generously, as atmosphere.

Lennie farted and the cockpit stank, generously, of rotted egg.

"Sorry George, got excited"

"That's OK Lennie, our luck changes once we deliver to Alioth-"

Plasma bolts ripped through the cargo hatch, spewing Alfalfa across the moon.

"Gang Aft Agley! Mothertrucker!" screeched a pseudo-intellectual pirate.

Lennie deployed hard points while George aimed and fired torpedoes.

One bounty later George explained to Lennie: "And *that's* why we make plan B"

06 - Listeri69 - I spy with my little eye, something rhyming with Luck.....

'As long as you really force it it'll fit...'
'But it's three inches too long, i'll rip it'
'Look just give it a little suck and twist the '
'Harder, you've got to really bang it in as hard as you can'
'It's hurting me, I've never done this before'
'Get your arm in there as well as your massive tool'
'Now let me reach around and grab the tool and jerk it'
'Well with a little luck it'll come right through'
'And if it doesn't work? What's plan B?'
'Stop plunging cubicle three and hang the sign up again '

07 - RoyalHankey - Mission number 53799y-37628-hgfgedv-uyt-nwg require a team to take out a base controlled by Mr Evil

Commander Frank had this plan to capture an armored base.
He organized a team consisting of Psykokow, Winnard, Simoof and himself.
They all landed a few kilometers away from the base.
They took their positions.
It was going well, they took out the perimeter defenses.
Got inside the base and when they thought they done it.
It all went wrong. Moose666 captured them in a well executed plan.
Moose666 lined them up in front of a firing squad.
That very second a wall fell on Moose666 and his firing squad.
Frank said "I love it when a plan comes together".

08 - Futuristic Kung Fu - A mission from Edith The Hutt

Frank had temporarily abandoned mining, in favour of smuggling rare goods. He had a mission to smuggle a priceless shipment from Lave to Sol. Numerous pirates and Feds would try to take those Carnivorous Space Elves from him along the way. His plan was to run away from them all, but he had a backup fight involving Thargoids and high-velocity elven farts. If he was lucky, he wouldn't need to use it. Halfway to Sol, he got interdicted by Simoof. Obviously luck detested Frank. He finished off a couple of bottles of Janx and put his backup plan into action.

EDIT1: It is forbidden to use any backup LANs in this thread.

EDIT2: shouldn't this thread be called The not-quite-so-new and slightly rusty Official ABRAKA DRABBLE Thread?

09 - MrMogadon - Luck, huh, what is it good for?

Mogadon cursed the old miner he’d given free passage to. “Good luck” the old guy’d wished him. Bah!

Next day he’d gotten the worst case of Pollux Pox seen in Memphis Station. Two months isolation; ending prematurely his career on Starship One – back to hauling.

Now he watched agog as his newly jettisoned cargo drifted ever faster towards the nearby sun.
“You glitching bag of sh.t”, he muttered kicking the console.

Turning, he totally missed the body of the stowaway drift past.
The stowaway who’d planned to gut Mogadon later that day.

Oblivious, Mogadon continued his mutterings about luck. Bah!

10 - Simoof - The Incident at Hutton Prime - a story of embarrasment, love and a circumsised willy.

Pam sat in the detention block.
This wasn't her fault. If her fellow workers had not been so eager to please their stupid boss this wouldn't have happened.
She rubbed her face in her hands. This was just not going to clear up soon.
She was all prepared for meeting the intergalactic ambassadors when that tannoy call created panic.
Race relations were under high tension as it was.
She reread the last line of the bosses announcement regarding recent conflicts in the outer worlds.
"...we needa back up plan immediately!"
"Stupid Chinese Plick!" Pam muttered, the face-dye stinging her eyes.

11 - moose666 - Tightmouthed Larry strikes again.

"He said it was a dead cert!"
"Well, luck, like a badly trained rottwieler, turned on us, and now we're 500 grand in the hole."
"Shartburgers, and Larry wants it by Tuesday or we die."
"Well, got any bright ideas?"
"Yea, follow me."

The two couriers dropped into the ice ring, lurking within the freezing fog.
"Right, got the cargo scanner working, what are we looking for?"
"Low temp Diamonds, we find them, 'liberate' them, then disappear into the mists before the police arrive, 12 tons each should be enough."
"This is your back up plan? mug miners?, Jesus wept."

12 - FelixBast - The back-up, back-up, back-up, plan.

“I want to be the richest pilot in the bubble.

At first I tried to trade my way to fortune. After a lot of hard work I bought myself a Type-9, but I foolishly flew without shields and insurance. One day I got stuck in the toast rack at Lave station and was destroyed by the station defences.

Next, I tried bounty hunting. Sadly I’m no good at combat against skilled pilots.

I also tried smuggling, but kept getting caught.

With this latest plan, I’m hoping to change my luck. Now drop your cargo and no one has to die.”

13 - phong - letters alone

"Snuck, chuck, tuck, buck, stuck.."
The travellers huddled around their meagre pile of supplies,all that they had managed to salvage from their trek across the badlands.The battery on the anagramaticiser had conked out two days before,but their guide, a seasoned drabblista, quickly organised them so that they could sort manually.
"Ruck, truck, slack, puck.."
'Wait,back up..'
Picking up the slack ,he took the l, leaving an empty sack.
"If youv'e finished taking the p,I'll have that."snatching the remainder and fastening the two together.
"And that,gentlemen,is how we make our own luck."

14 - Commander Sir Samuel Vimes - How to avoid pirates

"So what route do you think I should take said the Russian trucker." The old Irish miner who sounded a little like yoda spoke "I'd go waypoint,waypoint, scoop, waypoint, scoop, waypoint, waypoint, waypoint, scoop, waypoint, waypoint, waypoint ,jump and you're there but if you want to avoid pirates you could go waypoint scoop waypoint waypoint waypoint waypoint scoop waypoint waypoint scoop jump or you could go waypoint, scoop, waypoint, scoop, waypoint, waypoint, waypoint, scoop, waypoint, waypoint, waypoint scoop jump." He paused "I always tells folk remember, you don't need luck to avoid pirates you need a good backup plan"

Top Bottom