Realistic DLC Sizes?

Everyone's posting these pretty big wishlists. Given that this isn't Zoo Tycoon, we probably aren't going to get massive expansions with dozens of new animals in them. So what do people think is realistic to expect from Frontier (beyond "fix the bugs before we get DLC")? What sort of content came with the Planet Coaster DLC? I think that and Jurassic World Evolution would be a good indicator of what to expect from Planet Zoo.

I'm thinking that as well. A lot of folks are also quite confidant in some sort of tundra DLC to celebrate Christmas, but I'm not banking on it (for this year at least).

I'm thinking that as well. A lot of folks are also quite confidant in some sort of tundra DLC to celebrate Christmas, but I'm not banking on it (for this year at least).

I don't think maybe one animal is out of the question, a freebie as some sort of Christmas gift (or to apologise for all the bugs, though I haven't had a huge problem with that myself). If they do so, it would likely be one of the most highly-demanded animals, like the black rhinoceros, polar bear, or jaguar.

I don't think maybe one animal is out of the question, a freebie as some sort of Christmas gift (or to apologise for all the bugs, though I haven't had a huge problem with that myself). If they do so, it would likely be one of the most highly-demanded animals, like the black rhinoceros, polar bear, or jaguar.

Oh man I totally need the jaguar!

What's realistic depends on the size of their art team, the reusability of their assets, the skill and speed of their technical artists and animators, and the ease of implementation of new animal AI. It could be very simple to implement a new species, or it could be very complex. Basic scenery DLC is mostly new art on existing code, so fairly simple. The existing DLC animals were probably fairly straight forward art swaps, though I haven't played with them myself to verify; the Thomson's Gazelle is much like a Springbok, a Pygmy Hippo much like a Hippo, a Komodo Dragon like a Nile Monitor. Shouldn't have really needed to add much in the way of new animal behaviors or animations, just tweak the art and habitat preferences. Now that many of the rigs, base meshes, animations, materials, and code exist, they don't have to make much from scratch. How long it takes to make a new species game ready will depend on how much it differs from existing species morphologically and behaviorally. A polar bear will need a new mesh and everything from about shoulders up should get an animation polish pass if you use re-targeted animations from the brown bear. The fur material is good to go, just needs a recolor. A penguin on the other hand, would call for a model, a whole new rig, animation set, their feather material, and swimming and diving AI. It's realistic to say we could get a handful of animals by Christmas, depending on which species are chosen and the size of the team working on new content. To put a new tiger subspecies in the game should just be just a few variable tweaks, nearly effortless. To get a penguin or otter running believably right now would take additional code, and the coders are probably busy fixing more important things.

I think there's several animals featured as decor that ought to be in at some point.

There's an animal statue with Antlers in game. It looks like some kind of a Deer, maybe Red Deer. I suppose it could also be an Elk or Caribou, but I'll guess Red Deer for now. So, I'll take an educated guess and say we'll probably be getting that sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
My preferred look at DLCs for a game like this is to make it kinda like a living (collectible) card game.

A small DLC every three months or so, perhaps Three or four animals (mixed between habitat and exhibition animals, as needed) at a price around ten-ish euro, and a "catchup" more premium one at the end of each year with a solid theme, (at which point you can also bake in the small dlcs of that year for some form of deluxe package).

The small dlcs could be themed around either a biome, a continent, a sor of animal, or whatever you might think of, or just a bunch that feels needed for some reason.

Honestly I'd like to see some DLCs tackle common zoo mechaincs not in the game but that would be good for expansions. For example, most zoos have shows with info on animals, feeding, petting, etc. I'd love to have a DLC that gives us a fleshed out and well rounded show mechanic, as one example. I think something like that that adds a few animals that fit the theme may be more likely.

Look at PlanCo and it's DLC's to have a good idea of what PZ will probably do:
  • Around 15€ for a main themed DLC like an Australian pack with new animals, decorative theme, maybe a new mechanic thrown in.
  • 10 € for a several animals with added enrichment items (no themes)
  • 3 € for copy paste type animals or set of theme-less construction items

And frankly, I'm ok with these prices.

But I'm so hoping for a free Christmas DLC to compensate for the buggy game we have been given.
I'm talking bout reindeer animal and some trees and lights. We have the Christmas trees in PlanCo, can't you copy paste those? :D

I'm expecting about 10-13 euro for a larger themed DLC containing a bunch of (+- 10) new animals and building items and/or game mechanics, about 8 euro for an unthemed DLC with various (5-10) new animals, and around 3-4 euro for a set of reskinned animal models (like <5 deer species, or various antelopes, or various big cats, or various bears, etcetera). I think those are attractive prices.

Top Bottom