Newcomer / Intro Really expensive ships worth it?

I'm about 6 weeks ...maybe 7 now, into the game. I have worked pretty hard to build up a nice selection of ships that work for doing various things, but see a lot of posts where people talk like getting an anaconda means you don't need anything else.

So far my fleet is:
Trade: Python
Core Mining: Krait Mk 2 or Python (pretty interchangeable on modules so it's just a matter of which I feel like taking)
Laser Mining: T9
Combat: FDL and Krait Mk 2
Passenger Missions: Orca and Beluga
Exploration: AspX and DBX

With those 9 ships, I've been happily doing whatever I feel like at any given time. My next goal is to get empire ranks higher so I can get a Cutter to outfit for Trading as well so that I have a "big ship" for trade as well as the Python I currently use.

My question is, other than it being versatile so you "can" do many things in it, exactly what makes an anaconda so great I wouldn't want to fly my other ships too? I like variety. Also, in what role is the anaconda "best"? As in, no other ship does it better....or does its multirole functionality mean it isn't actually top in any single role?

Anaconda is a broken, overpowered and underpriced ship, because it was created when FDev didn't have a slightest idea what to do with ships and how to balance them. And since then, they refused to "fix" it or remove it out of fear it will literally drive people mad that they lost their precious OP crapheap.

Ehm. Sorry. Don't mind me.
The other big ships are fine, so if you have an ounce of self respect, you'll skip the Conda.

Just my two cents...

LOL, thanks for taking the time to answer @Chris Simon.

I'll be honest that I've so far set other ships on my goals list because of how many game resources seem to steer me toward the Anaconda....I like to be contrary like that. I have a few ships in mind after the Cutter (which is still a ways away itself) as well, was just asking about the conda to know how much I'm missing by not goaling towards one at all so far.

I do like blowing them up when those annoying NPC's flying them interdict me while I'm on missions....stupid how hard it can be though, it's like they have infinite shield cell banks.

Being a shipster (which is to say, a ship hipster) is how I roll. You should fly the Asp Scout.
Well..some day, I hope to have at least one of each hull type. I already have 2 Pythons so I imagine I'll have 2 of some of them....so I don't have to swap modules around.
I really do like variety and one of my favorite things in the game so far is how each ship handles differently and has a nice unique cockpit.

I have seen forum posts that really bag on the Asp Scout...does make me want to get one. Gotta support the underdogs.

I'm about 6 weeks ...maybe 7 now, into the game. I have worked pretty hard to build up a nice selection of ships that work for doing various things, but see a lot of posts where people talk like getting an anaconda means you don't need anything else.

So far my fleet is:
Trade: Python
Core Mining: Krait Mk 2 or Python (pretty interchangeable on modules so it's just a matter of which I feel like taking)
Laser Mining: T9
Combat: FDL and Krait Mk 2
Passenger Missions: Orca and Beluga
Exploration: AspX and DBX

With those 9 ships, I've been happily doing whatever I feel like at any given time. My next goal is to get empire ranks higher so I can get a Cutter to outfit for Trading as well so that I have a "big ship" for trade as well as the Python I currently use.

My question is, other than it being versatile so you "can" do many things in it, exactly what makes an anaconda so great I wouldn't want to fly my other ships too? I like variety. Also, in what role is the anaconda "best"? As in, no other ship does it better....or does its multirole functionality mean it isn't actually top in any single role?
In one word, PRICE+RANGE

Your fleet is almost exactly the same as mine, if you swap the T-9 pig for a Courier, which is much better :D

And the Anaconda for the Beluga, don't tell Chris.

That's all you need. You may choose to have more. But that's all you need. A Cutter? A Vette? Buy them if they light your fire, but don't feel compelled.

I like the Anaconda, but that's largely because it's way more ship than it has the right to be. Chris is right, but that didn't stop me from buying one, I left my self respect in Thailand many years ago. It makes a good bulk-whatever ship. Passengers, cargo, stuff. Like if I want to fly rescue missions in Incursion systems, the Anaconda is going to make me more rep and more money than any of my other ships. Bulk transport is the thing I mainly (used) to use it for. At the moment it is somewhere. Not sure where it is at the mo to be honest. It was great to have when I was aiming for Trade Elite and before Void Opals were a thing. Now I rarely fly it, and if I sold it I'd be fine. But all that engineering....

But your fleet is good. Just don't feel that you haven't arrived if you skip the big three is what I am saying.

@sinisalom, what are the big three, if I may ask? I assume 1 is the anaconda. Are other two the Imp Cutter and Federal Corvette? I sorta want those 2 simply because they require reputation to get, so they make nice longer-term goals.

I use the T9 for mining mainly because I wanted to get one and it was either trading or mining for it. I already had my heart set on a Cutter for a 'big trade ship" down the road, so went with mining. I know there may be better choices, but it does a decent job, and it gives me an excuse to fly it once in a while. I named it "Space Cow" and really like how ridiculously lumbering it feels when flying it (and the cockpit view is awesome!)

Yes, you got it right, those are the ships. No problem if a player actually likes and wants those ships. But they aren't necessary, as it may seem from time to time round these parts. Guys I wing with love Vettes, and they crush it in those beasts, while I zip around in the FDL. Speed is my thing. Others like big ships that hit hard.

It's nice in Elite that you get almost all of your money back when selling a ship so it's not prohibitive to try a ship to see if you like it. But once you start engineering, I think you'll feel compelled to keep it or you end up like me with a ton of semi-engineered modules in storage.

already starting to see that engineered module creep. Experimented with a few different kinds of weapons for my FDL and made a few adjustments to power plants on various ships as I engineered other modules, so now I have 20 slots of stored power plants and guns. Learned not to do the engineering on power plants until I'm sure about the rest of the build.... (and to use Coriolis to plan ahead).

Yesterday I decided to use a different ship than a Conda (I have ~20 ships), so I took a T-7 on rescue missions. Nice handling I thought. Then I went back to change it to a Conda. I bought a T-10 for opal mining, because of the excellent cockpit view. Then I went back to a Conda, and the T-10 is still parked. I modded everything to my liking on my bounty hunter Mamba, including +2500 MJ shield, but it's crap in combat compared to "Tyson" (my brawler Conda). Exploring? In any other ship I miss slots and jump range, so again... Conda. It's not perfect, but don't let Chris scare you away from it ;)

I have all big 3 and the first big ship was the Cutter. I did trading with it and deep core mining and some combat in low/med/high CZ. All those using the same 6C biweave shield augmented with 7 shield boosters. Still using it for trading and PP merits delivery
The speed is marvelous and so is the drifting - feels like FA Off sometimes :ROFLMAO:

Then I got a Conda and used it for exploration, mining and some light combat - all those at the Explorer's Anchorage GC (laser mining and bounty hunting iirc) followed by the trip to Colonia to unlock the engineers. Now it's gathering dust.

And then it came the Corvette. Someone said the Conda is broken... No, the Vette is. I mean a 1100 tons ship handling like a python? Broken I say.
Using it for combat - CZ and PP merits, but I kinda like more to fight in the Cutter.

Thinking to get another Cutter and make it a deep core miner.

Edit: and one more thing. After you see how a Cutter boosts away (but don't boost to anything that is closer than 6km) the Conda and Vette boosts feels like a fart.
Lots of noise but no substance :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I got my Cutter rank at Robigo Mines using a Python dressed as passenger ship: docking computer, 3A shields, rest Economy Cabins but no larger than 5E.
Actually I got the credits for the Cutter, rank just came along :)

I got my Cutter rank at Robigo Mines using a Python dressed as passenger ship: docking computer, 3A shields, rest Economy Cabins but no larger than 5E.
Actually I got the credits for the Cutter, rank just came along :)
I did a few days of that myself, didn't even think of the fact it was also giving rank. Might revisit it for part of the rest of the rank I need, it was a very relaxing way to pass the time, which I enjoy once in a while in games.

Yea, one of the factions is Imperial. IF you pick the REP+++++ mission rewards you don't get much credits, but Rank increase is quite substantial

The original big 3 were the Anaconda, Federal Corvette and the Imperial Cutter, the T9 wasn’t counted because of its poor cargo capacity for its size and its fighter like jump range, the Beluga came later and after that the T10 and the revamp to the T9 giving it its current stats.

The Anaconda is popular for its huge potential jump range even with lots of stuff on board and its many weapons hard points it also has the best damage model in the game, get beaten up in an Anaconda and it really shows, of course not being rank locked is another bonus. Major downsides are the super tanker like view and super cruise handling especially in a lightweight explorer build.

The big and expensive ships generally allow you to accomplish more, faster: they can trade more per run, do more damage and take more damage. However, they also aren't nearly as much fun to fly and aren't really needed for anything in particular. They are great rewards you'll eventually get, but rather poor as specific goals to work towards. Honestly, it is more fun to fly a Sidewinder than a Corvette, and by the time you have a Corvette you'll (hopefully) be skilled enough to not need it anymore for anything. :p

I have seen forum posts that really bag on the Asp Scout...does make me want to get one. Gotta support the underdogs.

Ah, the 'wisdom of the forum'. The Asp Scout has an absolutely brilliant flight model. It is ridiculously agile and an absolute joy to fly, and has all the stats to make for a very nice explorer or multi-role ship. Most people dont know that because they 'test' ships only on Coriolis or follow the advice of others.

Top Bottom