Newcomer / Intro Really expensive ships worth it?

You certainly don't need any of the big ships. I have them all, and spend. 90% of my time in a Python or Asp.

Conda is great if you want to explore, but cant decide which bits of useless kit to leave behind.
Cutter is great for participating in haulage CGs (it is also an absolute scream to fight in. Not as effective, but huge drifty fun)
Vette is great if you are a lazy combat pilot (like me)

Otherwise the medium ships will do just about anything you like and handle better.

I just restarted my game. I had a Python, Eagle, Beluga Liner, Asp Explorer and Fer de Lance. I've also had a Type-9, Diamond Back Explorer and Vulture.

The reason I did this was because I first focused on making money and upgrading ships. Consequently, I sucked at combat. It's no good having an engineered fully-upgraded FDL if you don't know how to fly it.

My recommendation is to stick with the smaller ships and upgrade slowly while developing your skills, if you're interested in combat. If you want to just make money, then start buying passenger cabins and fill them up. You get credits for the missions plus credits for the exploration data.

Happy flying! o7

The Anaconda is a decent, large ship. It is expensive, to both buy and upgrade, but is totally worth it. Someone here mentioned that it is overpowered and that you shouldn't buy it - that is not true. It is in the big three (along with the Corvette and that Imperial brick). I use it for everything. Invest 500-600 millions into it and you can comfortably say goodbye to the rest. People complaining about it probably don't have money and fly around in Sidewinders (don't tell Chris). Cheers. ;)

The big ships have their purpose. It's just that purpose doesn't involve joy at any point.

Stick to smaller, more enjoyable ships. Have fun. So many players get the impression that big ships are the aim, they rush to make money, buy a Conda, have a miserable time then stop playing. Don't be that guy.

Not saying you should never buy a big ship, by the way. As I said, they all have a purpose, every ship in the game has a purpose. Just don't buy one unless you know the purpose you're going for, and don't buy one until you've had fun (and learnt to fly) in something smaller.

The big ships have their purpose. It's just that purpose doesn't involve joy at any point.

Stick to smaller, more enjoyable ships. Have fun. So many players get the impression that big ships are the aim, they rush to make money, buy a Conda, have a miserable time then stop playing. Don't be that guy.

Not saying you should never buy a big ship, by the way. As I said, they all have a purpose, every ship in the game has a purpose. Just don't buy one unless you know the purpose you're going for, and don't buy one until you've had fun (and learnt to fly) in something smaller.
It depends on what kind of player you are. I personally love trading and passenger carrying, so big ships are my thing. Little ones feel "wrong".

That is not necessarily true, but almost.
Personally, I'm a small ship guy. Move my Courier for fighting, I'm exploring mainly in DBX, sometimes T6 and for missions I've got Cobra Mk.IV and Asp Scout.
That being said, I also love the Cutter and T9/T10. Flying them is something else entirely and I consider it relaxing and a welcome change in pace, from time to time. :)

The Anaconda is peerless as an exploration and rescue ship. Fully engineered, it will jump >70ly with all limpet controller types and a fighter hay.

With regard to owning the big 3, it really depends on what your goals in the game are. I could own all the ships in the game if I wished, except the Cutter, but I wouldn't use them so I don't buy them. The Python is really the only ship you actually need to own. Even after it was nerfed, it's still OPAF.

The only thing you really need to know (and find out) about the various ships is which ones suit your flying style best. I, for example, cannot get on with the T series of ships; to me they are slow and clumsy. However, I know Players who have got on really well with them, and use them well in the Game.

I do have an Anaconda, and she is fully A Rated, with some engineering as well. I have named her "The Helping Hand", as she has not only helped me to build up my fleet and finances, she has also helped me to help new Players get a better start in the Game. To me she feels like home, and she is my favourite vessel. Her biggest problem is her Pilot, who certainly is not the best on the controls.

The Anaconda is a decent, large ship. It is expensive, to both buy and upgrade, but is totally worth it. Someone here mentioned that it is overpowered and that you shouldn't buy it - that is not true. It is in the big three (along with the Corvette and that Imperial brick). I use it for everything. Invest 500-600 millions into it and you can comfortably say goodbye to the rest. People complaining about it probably don't have money and fly around in Sidewinders (don't tell Chris). Cheers. ;)
It is broken in the sense that its weight is 'bugged'. When you compare it to other ships it is comically light, it should be 1000t+.

As others here have said, it depends on the pilot completely. I can't stand small ships, medium ones are not my cup of tea either. They feel like space pancakes, and seem to "light". My A-rated, engineered Anaconda has a jump range of over 30 light years - it has a military grade composite and top shields as well as lasers and multicannons. Yeah, I know that it cannot land at outposts, it does not have the top manuevereability (thanks a lot, autocorrect), but it feels like home to me.

I've got an Anaconda.
I like it.
The reason I haven't got any other ships is that I had to sell them to buy it.
And it's not just the price of the ship. The outfitting cost is horrendous. Even a new bulb for the fridge costs millions.

PS
Ignore Chris he's just grumpy 'cos he lost his avatar.

Most of my salt about the Anaconda is really because I thought it'd look cooler from the cockpit than it really does. Thankfully, the Corvette actually does look like I thought, hence my salivating fantasies about it.

I've got an Anaconda.
I like it.
The reason I haven't got any other ships is that I had to sell them to buy it.
And it's not just the price of the ship. The outfitting cost is horrendous. Even a new bulb for the fridge costs millions.

PS
Ignore Chris he's just grumpy 'cos he lost his avatar.
:LOL:

Most of my salt about the Anaconda is really because I thought it'd look cooler from the cockpit than it really does. Thankfully, the Corvette actually does look like I thought, hence my salivating fantasies about it.

Well, Anaconda bridge view looks like you pilot an oil tanker (feels like it too), Corvette more likely a freighter, but thankfully it drives much better than it looks.

I'm about 6 weeks ...maybe 7 now, into the game. I have worked pretty hard to build up a nice selection of ships that work for doing various things, but see a lot of posts where people talk like getting an anaconda means you don't need anything else.

Having a few ships specialized for their role has always served me well. Locking yourself into the Anaconda because "you don't need anything else" is just so foolish.

Sounds like you're on the right track, to me.

I'm avoiding the Anaconda. Partly because it just seems too common (in both senses ;)) and partly because I'm not a fan of its look. I'm going exploring with the Krait Phantom to finish off my exploration rank and then when I want to go out on a longer trip I'm going to use the Beluga - I think it looks a lot more "science vessel" than the slaver Imperial ships, which don't really do it for me. I love the look of the Corvette though and will be getting one when I want to finish my combat ranking (or just because).

Top Bottom