Rear view in VR

Once again, I will raise the problem of lack of rear view in the game. It is the third Millennium already. Development of science and technology. There are many different holographic displays in the vehicles. However, so far in the cabins of ships - there is no way to see what is happening behind. Is it really difficult to implement a small retractable monitor with rear view display? Especially the need for such a monitor is noticeable when playing in Virtual Reality. Forced to turn my head like an ostrich, and after all-agree, very uncomfortable to turn his head 180 degrees. Space in the cabin, where it would be possible to install a retractable monitor is enough. Will it be realized?

Once again, I will raise the problem of lack of rear view in the game. It is the third Millennium already. Development of science and technology. There are many different holographic displays in the vehicles. However, so far in the cabins of ships - there is no way to see what is happening behind. Is it really difficult to implement a small retractable monitor with rear view display? Especially the need for such a monitor is noticeable when playing in Virtual Reality. Forced to turn my head like an ostrich, and after all-agree, very uncomfortable to turn his head 180 degrees. Space in the cabin, where it would be possible to install a retractable monitor is enough. Will it be realized?
I very much doubt it will ever happen, the game would have to re-render the scene for the monitor/rear-view mirror. It’s already doing it twice for the VR screens, I hate to think what the performance would be like if it was doing it a third time :)

If I need a quick glimpse backwards, I select External View (which displays the rear of the ship looking forward by default) then select Next View to see what’s behind me. I don’t use it very often I must admit, I find it just as quick to FAOff and flip over.

I agree that this is an issue that has annoyed me.

You can say the sensor display shows what's behind you but it's far from an accurate picture of the shape and placement of things including, and around your ship.
Like when I'm maneuvering around the inside of an asteroid, mid-rock surgery. Sure, the sensor shows contacts as points, and rocks show up as a point icon as well; but this isn't really a clear view of how big, what shape, the shape of your own ship, etc. You can totally smash into things while they look like you have lots of space on the sensor bubble.

I don't think the sensor bubble should change, I like the feel of it as a contact point display, but something else, so I can see the back of the ship somehow. No idea how it could be implemented. Maybe even a button to hold that would flip the view to a rear view scope?

I would say this is in no way VR specific, and actually is maybe even more important for non VR players as they can't even look around as well as we can!

Last edited:
Top Bottom