Rebel Galaxy Outlaw

As many people mentioned already it just wears its Privateer DNA on its sleeve. I'm really looking forward to this, because someone else failed to deliver. Also read Double Damage finally paid for the extra licensing, so people won't have to switch off those epic radio stations when streaming :D The music was a huge part in the charm of RG I think.
When I first heard about it I was like "/scoff cowboy music in a sci-fi game?? good luck with that". After the first hour of gameplay I had to admit that I was thinking too small and that it was a perfect fit. So glad that they got the same guy for the music in their sequel

When I first heard about it I was like "/scoff cowboy music in a sci-fi game?? good luck with that". After the first hour of gameplay I had to admit that I was thinking too small and that it was a perfect fit. So glad that they got the same guy for the music in their sequel
Agree, music was a great fit even if it didn't seem so at start. I kind of forgot to check if they have a channel for that type of music in Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, probably have.

Saw a Spotify channel called "Swagger" with similar music recommended on reddit, seems pretty accurate.
https://open.spotify.com/user/spotify/playlist/37i9dQZF1DWSlw12ofHcMM

Source: https://old.reddit.com/r/RebelGalaxy/comments/9cfguw/if_you_like_the_music_of_gebel_galaxy/

Last edited:
It's Privateer crossed with Firefly. :)

I play with a trip-monitor setup and additionally, 4 accessory monitors as well.

Can you pretty, pretty please, design it, so that the various displays (radar, shield stats, target stats...etc.) can be redirected to other monitors? (Pretty please?)

If you can do the above, can you also offer an optional full-screen view? (without cockpit graphics)

Awesome looking game so far. This one has my interest above all others!

thank you!!!

As many people mentioned already it just wears its Privateer DNA on its sleeve. I'm really looking forward to this, because someone else failed to deliver. Also read Double Damage finally paid for the extra licensing, so people won't have to switch off those epic radio stations when streaming :D The music was a huge part in the charm of RG I think.
I've never played privateer, but the music is definitely a selling point for me, too.

Yea, I know whjat you mean, but then I played Rimworld and I gotta say: It can fit exceptionally well.

Both are mini-games, but one is a optional side activity for fun while the other one gets old really quick.

I think Double Damage got this right (by not wasting development time on things which don't add to their game).
Agreed! I think it is very tasteful the way the character interacts with the screens when outfitting the ship or doing other things. (faster too). Also captured the old WC, for when the ship lands you see all your battle damage. Cool!

I'm a little tired of all these giant games that do a million things anyway.

That is insanely good, these guys are absolutely knocking it out of the park! Can wait!

Given that the game is also moddable I cant wait to see what gets made for it.

I bet EA are wishing they hadn't turned down the Star Wars spaceship shooter these guys pitched to them now ;)

That is insanely good, these guys are absolutely knocking it out of the park! Can wait!

Given that the game is also moddable I cant wait to see what gets made for it.

I bet EA are wishing they hadn't turned down the Star Wars spaceship shooter these guys pitched to them now ;)
Even if the feature might not be "groundbreaking" it certainly is fresh and uncommon enough to rise some eyebrows. Personally I had a few dozen ideas how to use it already and I m sure it will enhance my gameplay enjoyment by a few notches.

Regarding mods these guys dont disappoint, at least they didnt in the past. Rebel galaxy was a little light in that regard but that might come down to the community I dont know. Torchlight 1 & 2 tho were absolutely incredible offering so much modded content that it easily increased the products life cycle tenfold (I still fire it up even today). All 3 of those games also hold another advantage(s) I value highly.

- independence of the internet past the original download, you buy it you truly own it, not like all these other games on the market forcing you to start and play it online only even of you are not interested in multiplayer
- gameplay focusing on single player offering people return value based on the quality of the game, not of other people participating
- easy access, Torchlight had more options regarding difficulty but none of them is on par with EVE online which basic entrance stumps a lot of people the first time

And they seem to make remarkable progress too. I am too used to the snail speed development rate of a certain "other" space game so this comes at a surprise to me :D

A really nice looking game and someone mentioned modding, will that be possible in the new game here, or are we just talking about the ship painting etc ?

A really nice looking game and someone mentioned modding, will that be possible in the new game here, or are we just talking about the ship painting etc ?
The official stance is YES but we dont have any information yet about the extend of said modding capabilities. Rebel Galaxy was a bit "light" compared to Torchlight but this company has a history of allowing mods that other companies would hunt down and punish as "cheating" or "hacking". Also I salute their early admission to sell the game for 30 bucks. It might not have AAA content quantity but ALL their titles so far have been absolutely worth the money many times over IMO.

I think Double Damage got this right (by not wasting development time on things which don't add to their game).
I think you forget that what 'adds to a game' is subjective. Its not as if they focus on 'stuff that adds to the game' whereas other studios decide to focus on 'stuff that doesnt add to the game'. Everybody focuses on what they think adds to the game, and as a gamer you pick the game that aligns with your preference best.

Last edited:
The official stance is YES but we dont have any information yet about the extend of said modding capabilities. Rebel Galaxy was a bit "light" compared to Torchlight but this company has a history of allowing mods that other companies would hunt down and punish as "cheating" or "hacking". Also I salute their early admission to sell the game for 30 bucks. It might not have AAA content quantity but ALL their titles so far have been absolutely worth the money many times over IMO.
Nice.. ;)

Damn, I love these guys. I have no problem throwing them thirty bucks and I hope they do an expansion down the line.

I found the original Rebel Galaxy way too restricted and stripped down. Like a cross between a console game and a handheld game, which was such a shame as it had a lot of 'depth' potential in it, it just focused on that stripped down 'shooter' gameplay. Fingers crossed this has the real meat and bones on it (and robust modding) :)

Top Bottom