Rebel Galaxy Outlaw

Consoles release exclusives for the exact same reason...

Was going to write that myself, consoles fragmentation shenanigans are one of the several reasons I largely prefer PC gaming. Shouldn't be hard to get that having to choose where to buy, though a possible inconvenience, is still largely preferable to having to choose where to play.

I opened an Epic Games store account. All the nicks I ususally use (and then some) were already taken? , it is fishy. That RGO goes exclusive there is part of the introduction of a new store. If everything publishes on steam as well what would be the point of having a new storefront? Tho I have no idea how much work it is to implements each of the different drm systems / wrappers into a game.

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
Was going to write that myself, consoles fragmentation shenanigans are one of the several reasons I largely prefer PC gaming. Shouldn't be hard to get that having to choose where to buy, though a possible inconvenience, is still largely preferable to having to choose where to play.

Indeed. It's trivial to buy from Origin vs Steam vs GOG vs this new store. Whatever I choose I can play the game on my hardware.

Console exclusives are a much larger barrier for an average consumer.

Yes, yes I do. That's the problem. I can choose to play the exclusive of a console, or the exclusive of another, or both, but at a much higher price tag. That's an issue, not a point. On pc, I can buy the Origin exclusive, or the Uplay exclusive, but they'll both end on the same pc. That's also a choice, but definitely not a practical/economical issue.

As with everything in life, make your choices count. I don't 'need' any single one game (i have so many great games), but i do 'need' a good option overall as a gamer, so i only buy the games that actually help make gaming 'better' for everyone over any one single platform/publisher.

Bummer! With Steam, Uplay, GoG and Origin I'd say I have more than enough store accounts and I neither want nor need to add another one to the mix. Was really looking forward to this, but I guess I'll just have to wait a bit longer.

Yes, yes I do. That's the problem. I can choose to play the exclusive of a console, or the exclusive of another, or both, but at a much higher price tag. That's an issue, not a point. On pc, I can buy the Origin exclusive, or the Uplay exclusive, but they'll both end on the same pc. That's also a choice, but definitely not a practical/economical issue.

I never understood the thought process to buy hardware specifically for ONE game. Oh sure if you buy a console you can have lots of other games but its still the case that you are interested in ONE specific one so you gotta get that console....nope not gonna do it. When it comes to desktop computers its the other way around I get myself a multi-functional tool doesnt matter if I almost exclusively play with it....it can lots of other tricks too also I dont need to worry to have 3 or 4 different computers stashed somewhere to play game X....they are all on one machine.

Apparently I am a minority with that thinking because console games are pretty successful in a manner that seemed to push "real" computers into the background. Already I feel like the red-headed stepchild earning the crumbs after consoles got pampered. How many games start out with a console release while I get a computer version half a year or a year later and even tho I have so much more power under the hood I have to content myself with a "cheap console-port" when in the past it was the other way around.

I had a console in the past, used it at first for Tekken but eventually got lots of other games too. But you know what happened.....new generation console comes out all of a sudden your beloved piece of tech and all the games are "outdated" and you absolutely NEED to buy a new one and upgrade your whole library when with a desktop I upgrade the computer and can keep my games. By the time I worked myself up to buy a new console I had the problem to chose between several different models all supporting their own kind of exclusive games....meeeh, nope not gonna participate in this rat-race.

I switched from PC gaming to a console some years ago for a variety of reasons. Only two games have tempted me to look at PC gaming again - Modded Skyrim and Elite Dangerous. Yet here I am, still playing both those games (and more) on my humble PS4 Slim, and I get a great deal of enjoyment out of my gaming sessions. Most of the arguments people have made against consoles in this thread just haven't applied to me.

I switched from PC gaming to a console some years ago for a variety of reasons. Only two games have tempted me to look at PC gaming again - Modded Skyrim and Elite Dangerous. Yet here I am, still playing both those games (and more) on my humble PS4 Slim, and I get a great deal of enjoyment out of my gaming sessions. Most of the arguments people have made against consoles in this thread just haven't applied to me.
To get back on topic: This game is coming to consoles without bothering their owners with Chinese Tencent launchers and will cost the same with the usual cut console makers take from indie developers.

It's just the PC gamers, who get<Nope>over again, because why not?

Last edited by a moderator:
To get back on topic: This game is coming to consoles without bothering their owners with Chinese Tencent launchers and will cost the same with the usual cut console makers take from indie developers.

It's just the PC gamers, who get<Nope> over again, because why not?

Well technically I guess the XBone owners could argue that they are not getting it at all. From what I read in their FAQ it's PS4 and Switch only. As for this exclusivity, Epic needs a pony show, and I guess beloved indies and free games are one way of doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:

What's the topic again? Oh yeah, there's this cool new game coming to PS4 called "Rebel Galaxy Outlaw". I'm not sure if I'll like the play style or not, I guess I'll wait for Angry Joe's review (and I also usually wait for a good sale, since ED is the only console game I've ever paid full-price for). If it's like Wing Commander: Privateer, then I will probably like it :D

Either the Epic game store thingy is gonna be amazing and wonderful or else Double Damage don't care about their game sales. Here's a question: can you buy the game direct from Double Damage and play it without ANY of these dumb launchers? If not, their explanation for going with Epic is nonsense and they are hypocrites and liars. Which I guess is pretty much par for the course from game devs and probably fine.

Either the Epic game store thingy is gonna be amazing and wonderful or else Double Damage don't care about their game sales. Here's a question: can you buy the game direct from Double Damage and play it without ANY of these dumb launchers? If not, their explanation for going with Epic is nonsense and they are hypocrites and liars. Which I guess is pretty much par for the course from game devs and probably fine.

From their FAQ, it seems no. Though the are trying to stress this bit:

Q) So I have to have another launcher running in the background all the time? Hell no!
A) Offline games (which Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is) can be played offline without the launcher. In the future, when achievements and stats come online, you’d need to be logged in to benefit from that.

But looking at their page they only sell prints and t-shirts in their own store. The same FAQ also tries to rationalize their move, which in part I understand, even if I don't like it. Also quite OT, but here's how the steam community reacted when Team16 packed up the already announced Genesis Alpha One, and announced they are moving to the epic store: https://steamcommunity.com/games/712190/announcements/detail/1721961700671288107

So yeah, I think we should concentrate on the game itself, because this distribution situation is a powder keg waiting to blow.

But looking at their page they only sell prints and t-shirts in their own store. The same FAQ also tries to rationalize their move, which in part I understand, even if I don't like it. Also quite OT, but here's how the steam community reacted when Team16 packed up the already announced Genesis Alpha One, and announced they are moving to the epic store: https://steamcommunity.com/games/712190/announcements/detail/1721961700671288107
Genesis Alpha One is coming to PS4 and Xbox One too, with the usual cut these platform holders take.

These developers would never sell their product exclusively on the Tencent store just for the cut, they just like to eff over PC gamers, so they don't have to bear Steam's or GOG's review system. They fully intend to make all their money on consoles. PC sales don't matter for them.

BTW: Valve is too soft on this issue, too. They let developers advertise a direct competitor at their own store. Something every other retailer would swing the ban hammer for.

Last edited:
So if i understand this correctly i need an Epic Games launcher/account in order to play this game when it releases.

Great...

Steam...
Uplay...
Origin...

I miss the days when you just installed the game and played it without the need to register everything to something.

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
So if i understand this correctly i need an Epic Games launcher/account in order to play this game when it releases.

Great...

Steam...
Uplay...
Origin...

I miss the days when you just installed the game and played it without the need to register everything to something.

Yeah, those days are gone. :p

Top Bottom