Rebel Galaxy Outlaw

Rebel Galaxy posted a short capital ship explosion clip

Sure, its promotional footage but the question is not if its coming at all but if the final ingame version will look as good. Was RGI announced with VR capabilies?? Because if the answer is "yes" I can picture myself jumping out of my skin if I fly too close to one of these ^^

I think it was confirmed to not have VR support but don't quote me on that.

I'm still intrigued by the music vibes. Gotta say, some American themes go quite well with SciFi if you do it right. Rimworld uses country and western muzak to great effect and this here seems to make good use of soundtrack and voice for their setting.

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.

Sure, its promotional footage but the question is not if its coming at all but if the final ingame version will look as good. Was RGI announced with VR capabilies?? Because if the answer is "yes" I can picture myself jumping out of my skin if I fly too close to one of these ^^

That's really cool!

Yup - I'm totally on board with this game after having watched the lengthy gameplay demo that came out recently.

Looks great. Big bada boom!

Seems the current decade VR fad is past its prime. :D

There was never a "prime" in the first place.
VR was, is and always will be a cool gimmick. It can never catch on in the mainstream because of two major things
1) It's expensive and always will be
2) Its use and capabilities are not universal enough.

You always need to design a VR game with the VR im mind from the beginning, trying to hide its limitations behind the gimmicky stuff. VR game will always be cool, but less of a game in general sense.

Plus current generation of VR is badly hurt by monopolization attempts of the VR headset manufacturers.
VR is, after all, just a game displaying device and it should be manufactured and distributed as one. Imagine that every monitor manufacturer, ASUS, LG, Lenovo,..., would make their own games that would only work on their monitors and only with particular hardware. That would, of course, be an outrage and it would splinter the whole gaming industry. And that's exactly how VR market works, right now.
There are "open source" headsets, out there, but the fact that they are advertising it as something to be proud of shows that gaming industry and manufacturers simply took the whole VR business from the wrong end.

And so it remains a gimmick. A cool one, I admit, but it will always remain so.

Plus current generation of VR is badly hurt by monopolization attempts of the VR headset manufacturers.
You can say that killed the current attempt. That's why for important technology (which VR isn't really) the state usually intervenes at some point and forces a standard or to open up of the leading platform.

Didn't help, that Oculus Rift essentially was a Kickstarter scam (promising an open future and then selling out to Facebook).

Last edited:
You can say that killed the current attempt. That's why for important technology (which VR isn't really) the state usually intervenes at some point and forces a standard or to open up of the leading platform.

Didn't help, that Oculus Rift essentially was a Kickstarter scam (promising an open future and then selling of to Facebook).

Yep. Exactly.
I love Elite in VR and I am greatly enjoying Fallout 4 in it. But really, those are the only two REAL games I want to play in VR. There are a couple of others that could be called that but those don't interest me but frankly and simply 98% of the VR software are demos and tech demonstrators. And that is after how many years since the innitial Occulus launch?
Sad, really, but understandable and predictable.

Dreary cliches about fads and gimmicks are way too boring, perfecly ok with VR being niche sims and such for years until tech gets better, and perfectly ok with neat games like this not having it! GIMME!

Some of those Lucasfilm ILMxLAB guys experimented with X-Wing/T-Fighter VR stuff but can't get the go ahead for a full project. They've been chomping at the bit for ages to go all out and know what a great match it would be, hope that scratches the pew pew itch eventually... looking forward to the next steps to 4k and 8k, slim the damn things down.

Last edited:
I'm just a bit sad that they are going the fighter route, this time. I really enjoyed the capital ships in the original RG. It was something different from all the other space-shooty games.
Not that I'm not hyped, of course. If they keep the level of humour and great music, it'll be awesome.

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
I'm just a bit sad that they are going the fighter route, this time. I really enjoyed the capital ships in the original RG. It was something different from all the other space-shooty games.
Not that I'm not hyped, of course. If they keep the level of humour and great music, it'll be awesome.

I did not play the original, but I'm excited that they are attempting to basically reboot Wing Commander: Privateer with this. I loved that as a kid. They're nailing the overall vibe judging from the hour long gameplay demo. If they do a modern Privateer with their own spin on things they've definitely got my $30.

I m with you, there was something about controlling a massive behemoth of destruction regardless if I was able to fly up/down or not, the sheer firepower and turrets under my control were enough compensation. On the other hand they announced after RGs release that they wont do a second part or continue on DLCs for the game and instead will move on to something "different". Outlaws now plays in the same galaxy using many of the same assets and music/NPCs so something changed obviously. Maybe a sequel to Rebel Galaxy is possible as well? One can only hope ^^ At least "hoping" for this title wont cost us insane amounts of money :D

I m with you, there was something about controlling a massive behemoth of destruction regardless if I was able to fly up/down or not, the sheer firepower and turrets under my control were enough compensation. On the other hand they announced after RGs release that they wont do a second part or continue on DLCs for the game and instead will move on to something "different". Outlaws now plays in the same galaxy using many of the same assets and music/NPCs so something changed obviously. Maybe a sequel to Rebel Galaxy is possible as well? One can only hope ^^ At least "hoping" for this title wont cost us insane amounts of money :D

The dev said in a vid that the new game was what they originally wanted to do but put aside with ED, NMS and SC being at competition. Now looking back he's more confident to pull it off. I think a concept they really "want" to do might turn out better.

The dev said in a vid that the new game was what they originally wanted to do but put aside with ED, NMS and SC being at competition. Now looking back he's more confident to pull it off. I think a concept they really "want" to do might turn out better.

As many people mentioned already it just wears its Privateer DNA on its sleeve. I'm really looking forward to this, because someone else failed to deliver. Also read Double Damage finally paid for the extra licensing, so people won't have to switch off those epic radio stations when streaming :D The music was a huge part in the charm of RG I think.

Top Bottom