Recent Extinctions Expansion Pack Concept for Planet Zoo

I have two suggestions for the habitat aninal list:

I believe that the Rodrigues solitaire should get some love. They tend to be overshadowed by the dodo bird a lot.

I also think that the King Island emu is a good representative amongst the extinct species/subspecies of emu with its small size and dark neck plumage. Of course since some people may consider them as a sub I would not expect them to be on people's mind as a extinct holocene species.

I had decided against the quagga due to the in-game plains zebra already being the species that the quagga is a subspecies of. However, equine have a prominent evolutionary legacy (as well as being one of humanity's first draft animals), so I decided to include the tarpan to acknowledge that.
Considering the fact that PZ has Arctic wolf, Himalayan brown bear, and Bengal tiger, I don't think that the quagga would be as offensive to have in the game.

As far as I am aware we do not have the technology right now to revive an extinct species, even recently extinct ones where we have the DNA stored. I know it is talked about and it is a possibility in the future, but not yet.

I'd much rather have a critically endangered animal pack in order to raise awareness of animals we can still save. I also think this is much more likely and fits in with PZ better.

As far as I am aware we do not have the technology right now to revive an extinct species, even recently extinct ones where we have the DNA stored. I know it is talked about and it is a possibility in the future, but not yet.

I'd much rather have a critically endangered animal pack in order to raise awareness of animals we can still save. I also think this is much more likely and fits in with PZ better.
But we actually are about to have exactly that technology. The university in melbourne is right now setting up a lab for 5 million/billion (not sure which one) to further research marsupial genetics with the goal of bringing the tylacine back to live, now that they have completly decoded its genetics.
Two other projects are about rats, the extinct christmas island rat and the still alive norwegian brown rat to be exact, which are quite far in researching the deextinction itself, having allready made the huge progress of an artificial aesexual reproduction of a mouse in a chinese lab, where they "inprinted" the missing male genom onto the eggcells, with not only surviving but fertile new borns, as well as working on the next step, trying to convert a norwegian brown rat to a common grey one using the same method

But we actually are about to have exactly that technology. The university in melbourne is right now setting up a lab for 5 million/billion (not sure which one) to further research marsupial genetics with the goal of bringing the tylacine back to live, now that they have completly decoded its genetics.
Two other projects are about rats, the extinct christmas island rat and the still alive norwegian brown rat to be exact, which are quite far in researching the deextinction itself, having allready made the huge progress of an artificial aesexual reproduction of a mouse in a chinese lab, where they "inprinted" the missing male genom onto the eggcells, with not only surviving but fertile new borns, as well as working on the next step, trying to convert a norwegian brown rat to a common grey one using the same method
Didn't know the Thylacine Genome is completely decoded🥳
They should definitely try first to clone still living Species with Surrogate Mothers of a different Species due to how short lived both relatively successful Attempts at cloning extinct Species were

The birds would be fine. I'd just rather not have extra subspecies for taxa already in the game (i.e. quaggas).
I wouldn't mind the quagga, it's one of the more well known recent extinctions.

Thylacine, Quagga, Dodo, Pyrean Ibex, Warrah, Japanese Sea Lion, Baji, and the Passenger Pidgeon...making it an animal pack with a few that would be "clones" of existing animals and others that would be more unique.

I mean, we have had the technology since we revived the Pyrenean Ibex in 2002/3 for 12 minutes. We lacked knowledge about how to use it, and essentially wielded a scalpel like a machete. The real problem is the ethics involved and the lack of investor interest. Like say we de-extinct Thylacine, we can't really release them into the wild. Dingoes occupy their niche now. So there are major ethical question that are unresolved regarding resurrecting an extinct species, whose habitat no longer has a place for it. Most notably, Wooly mammoths.
And beyond that, money is a problem. If Elon Musk has dropped as much money on dextinction, or green energy that he has on SpaceX, the world would look very different right now. Like, 5 million can bring back an extinct species, a very well studied one, given. It just took them this long to get five million earmarked for it.

I mean, we have had the technology since we revived the Pyrenean Ibex in 2002/3 for 12 minutes. We lacked knowledge about how to use it, and essentially wielded a scalpel like a machete. The real problem is the ethics involved and the lack of investor interest. Like say we de-extinct Thylacine, we can't really release them into the wild. Dingoes occupy their niche now. So there are major ethical question that are unresolved regarding resurrecting an extinct species, whose habitat no longer has a place for it. Most notably, Wooly mammoths.
And beyond that, money is a problem. If Elon Musk has dropped as much money on dextinction, or green energy that he has on SpaceX, the world would look very different right now. Like, 5 million can bring back an extinct species, a very well studied one, given. It just took them this long to get five million earmarked for it.
Actually thats also wrong, atleast for the thylacine.
The deexctinction of the thylacine will not be something just for zoos, but one of the criteria if it even is worth it was if they could be brought back to the wild and yes, yes they can.
Rewildering Programms in tasmania have allready begone planning after a long study concluded, that not only can they live their but also be beneficial to the ecosystem, as it hasnt changed around its loss 90 years ago. Its still very much an open niche and the main reason why the thylacine of all extinct species has been chosen for deextinction

But the key words in all of your examples are 'trying' or 'researching'. Even with the examples of research you mention it very much seems the technology is not there yet.

The idea of reintroducing an extinct species is much more than being able to clone/create an individual or decoding a genome. You need to be able to create enough healthy individuals with enough genetic diversity to thrive as a species, eventually without human intervention. Even reintroductions of extant species into new areas can be difficult, but you've got the whole extra challenge here of creating a healthy population in the first place. Also this is before we even mention the hurdle of getting the appropriate government authorisations to do something like this.

I'm defintely not saying this won't happen, and yes it is being worked on. I'm just saying we can't yet and it could be years or decades before the technology is advanced enough and even then it will probably take some time to get it right.

1649253166353.png

You could do this to a degree and have it in keeping with what could possibly be found by linking it to the idea of de-extinction. As a zoologist I do not think its worth it, but in a game it would be fine. This would give you a legitimate process for having these species in the game. The obvious ones are the ones people talk about the most currently, the thylacine and the mammoth. It could only be species we actually can get DNA from, and good quality DNA at that. So they could not have been extinct for more than 100 years in general. The exception there being species frozen in ice, eg the mammoth. This also gives a research angle for the zoo, and play heavily on the issues involved with inbreeding and cloning. These would be difficult animals to produce. It also adds an interesting education angle to the game.

Actually thats also wrong, atleast for the thylacine.
The deexctinction of the thylacine will not be something just for zoos, but one of the criteria if it even is worth it was if they could be brought back to the wild and yes, yes they can.
Rewildering Programms in tasmania have allready begone planning after a long study concluded, that not only can they live their but also be beneficial to the ecosystem, as it hasnt changed around its loss 90 years ago. Its still very much an open niche and the main reason why the thylacine of all extinct species has been chosen for deextinction
Okay, I didn't realize that Tasmania was that intact. Good. However they will have to closely manage the population in breeding term for probably 3-5 generations, if not longer. Depending on how advancements come. Since most of our advancements over the twenty years have finding out how to do things more efficiently and less by accident. Including generating genetic diversity.

Been a while since I last visited this idea. I think there's enough recent extinctions to narrow the scope down to the past 500 years (hopefully making it more agreeable in the process)
  • Broad-billed Moa (latest extintion date of 1637)
  • Dodo (latest extintion date of 1693)
  • Bluebuck (extinct as of 1800)
  • Great Auk (extinct as of 1852)
  • Thylacine (accepted extinction date of 1936)
  • Schomburgk's Deer (extinct as of 1938)
  • Caribbean Monk Seal (latest extintion date of 1952)
  • Saint Helena Earwig (Exhibit, extinct as of 1967)
I'd still love to see my mammoths and ground sloths, but sadly it seems like a big ask at this point...

As you mentioned here
Been a while since I last visited this idea. I think there's enough recent extinctions to narrow the scope down to the past 500 years (hopefully making it more agreeable in the process)
  • Broad-billed Moa (latest extintion date of 1637)
  • Dodo (latest extintion date of 1693)
  • Bluebuck (extinct as of 1800)
  • Great Auk (extinct as of 1852)
  • Thylacine (accepted extinction date of 1936)
  • Schomburgk's Deer (extinct as of 1938)
  • Caribbean Monk Seal (latest extintion date of 1952)
  • Saint Helena Earwig (Exhibit, extinct as of 1967)
I'd still love to see my mammoths and ground sloths, but sadly it seems like a big ask at this point...

I think if they (Planet Zoo) ever do something involving extinct animals, it should be for animals that have the efforts to bringing them back IRL already, they're recently extinct and (this is pretty important here) animals whose niches have not changed so much and the ecosystem could actually benefit having these animals brought back. The Thylacine is one I could totally see them adding considering recent real world efforts to bring them back, and hearing that their ecosystem could actually benefit from them in Tasmania right now since their niche is empty. Considering they also recently announced having sequenced the whole Dodo DNA, that's another one I could realistically see being brought back. Although for the Dodo I'm not entirely sure my argument for their ecosystem/niche would fit for them.

Top Bottom