Recent Galactic Initiative 'vote' - Frontier's Forum Dictating the Direction of the Game

I do of course. :p I know it's a slippery slope, but you can't tell me that democracy is working as designed now that there are 8bn people in the world. I don't have a better idea, though, I won't pretend I do. Even restricting the vote to people of a certain educational level would lead to discrimination and inequality.

Last edited:
OP - Re: the forum members dictating the decision.

If you select staff posts and look at Will Flanegans post containing the vote you'll notice as you scroll through that the majority of forum members were saying that the vote should have been ingame and thus accessible to more of the playerbase

Hardly the response we'd have made if we were really the "small minority" dictating how the game devolops and I get the impression that FDev have taken the comments onboard and we'll see future II's format changed accordingly

I'm sure it could, not that I'd know. However, I'm well aware of the situation described at the outset, and I consider this to be problematic. If you want to defend Frontier implementing a system that takes into account around 4,000 players views/votes, out of possibly upto 4 million, that's your choice.
Hate to say this but at least they attempted to get people to provide input.

Or we could have gotten, one week cg ''sign up for this side and we will choose site a, for that side and get site b''.
Second week ''sign up for c or site d''
Third week '''sign up for week 1 winner or week 2 winner''
So in three weeks they 'could' have done it in game.

Or one week using an already existing forum that everyone has access to, if they bother.

Personally, if they did not bother to come to the forum and vote, it is their fault.

First, you obviously don't understand steam charts, don't post numbers you don't understand please. That's what lead to Brexit.

Second, the vote is almost completely irrelevant, it's just a couple of ly difference.

Third, the vote was open to everyone, pretty sure there was a newsletter or something. If people don't inform themselves about the game, why should they have something to say about it?

And last but not least, I actually do agree that the vote should've been in game. Not because I am butthurt about something or because of unfairness, but simply because I prefer it when things get done right.

As many have said, it's a slippery slope, and to emphasise what Adam mentioned, many forum folk would also have preferred it to be in game. In the end, shrug.
It is a good point though. It's easy to say it was advertised and that players should come to the forum to vote, but to a lot of people, the forum has a reputation for toxicity. It may be more or less cleaned up these days, but a bad rep sticks, and people will need a lot more than this to bring them back. It all leaves a rather unpleasant smell, and sets a bad precedent.

Right now there is nothing in-game to direct me to the forums, or tell me where the interstellar initiative is, or who I'm supposed to be working for. There's something about two companies that want to do guardian stuff that got mentioned in an otherwise fluff-piece galnet article, and.. that's it? Community goals mission board is blank, no links to systems, nothing. As far as galnet is concerned, this initiative appears about as interactable as the vega ship theft.

I'm a PS4 player that's been loosely following the news about the interstellar initiative, so I was pretty much waiting for something to happen in-game so we could make the destination choice. I was surprised to find that I needed to vote online and also very disappointed that I couldn't because I don't have access to a pc. The problem with using a tablet is that IT DOESN'T HAVE ALL THE PC ABILITIES AND I CAN'T VOTE OR EVEN SEE THE MAJORITY OF POLLS !!!!!
If I'm honest I'm still not sure what the interstellar initiative really is or how it replaces community goals. Will we be getting new in-game activities to do to guide the lore or is it all out of game decision making where tablet users can't contribute.
Which now lead me into the next big problem. I've opened tickets in the past and then been asked by someone at the other end to provide screenshots. Just F great. So first I upload my screenshots from my console to my twitter account. Then I open my twitter on my tablet and take screenshots of the screenshots. I then have to edit/crop the screenshots before uploading them to issue tracker. FILE NOT SUPPORTED, honestly what frontier ? Is everything that you do for the game deliberately broken ? Because from where I'm standing it looks like people have game problems and are unable to report them unless they have a PC. I really do hope that not everyone that uses a tablet suffers this.
I voted using my mobile.

Or we could have gotten, one week cg ''sign up for this side and we will choose site a, for that side and get site b''.
Second week ''sign up for c or site d''
Third week '''sign up for week 1 winner or week 2 winner''
So in three weeks they 'could' have done it in game.
If they used a trade, mining, exploration, research or bounty hunting CG format they could have put all five options up for an in-game vote in a single week using existing tools. Research would probably have been the most thematic.

There would have been downsides to this approach as well, though - would the CGs be scored on total volume, or just on participant numbers? Also harder to change your vote if you discover mid-week another option would have been better.

I really hate that people who vote are dictating everything.

If it makes you feel better, this vote was absolutely meaningless anyway and I doubt they'll do it again for the next II after all the backlash.

Frontier decided to change the format of Community Goals into 'Galactic Initiatives'. One of the bright ideas was to allow players to vote on a new 'ferry' system. However, instead of implementing an in game voting mechanism, Frontier opted to use its forum to allow a small player base to make a decision that could impact thousands of players who do not frequent these forums.
Since there was an email sent to each account telling them about this vote, I really don't see any problem.

Since there was an email sent to each account telling them about this vote, I really don't see any problem.
Was it also not shown on the loading screen that there was a vote open for this and directed you to the relevant forum page?

I don't think the OP knows how community events are intended to work.

Can't they just add the vote in the game launcher or even better, in game ?
That would be the ideal solution. No info has been provided as to why it was via the Forums instead of the game this time but as it's most likely a test event, the development time to implement a possible temporary feature in the game probably outweighed the requirement. Considering the responses, it will probably move in game should the events continue.

Frontier decided to change the format of Community Goals into 'Galactic Initiatives'. One of the bright ideas was to allow players to vote on a new 'ferry' system. However, instead of implementing an in game voting mechanism, Frontier opted to use its forum to allow a small player base to make a decision that could impact thousands of players who do not frequent these forums.

The entire amount of votes cast was: 3,477. The system chosen was Synuefe EN-H d11-96. Total votes cast in favour of this system: 1,368. A second system might also have been chosen, perhaps the second most popular (based on the views of the limited number of users on this forum).

Basically, 1,368 people have made a decision for thousands of other players (total participants in this phase of the 'Galactic Initiative' was 3,477).

A quick Google about the amount of Steam players in 2019 brings up the following:

Elite Dangerous
Stats: Month ---- Average Players --- Peak Players
MonthAvg. PlayersPeak Players
April 20194,227.79,109
March 20193,595.87,114
February 20194,643.39,449
January 20196,735.612,864

In the last 30 days the peak was 9109 players (STEAM only).

This is just one platform.

Wikipedia states the following:

'The game had sold around 1.7 million units by the end of May 2016.[97] By the end of December 2016 over 2.1 million paid franchise units were sold of Elite Dangerous.[98] As of 15 January 2019, cumulative sales of Elite Dangerous exceeded 4.3 million franchise units, composed of 3 million base game units and 1.3 million Horizons expansion units.' - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_Dangerous

What are the figures for the number of players on the Xbox and Playstation? What about players (such as me) who use a PC and the stand-alone installer? How Frontier Elite: Dangerous many forum members are there in total?

There's a potential player base of well over 2 million players (over 1 million potentially playing Horizons). Does the level of regular players actually reach anywhere near this level?

Regardless, doesn't it seem astounding that this game, having sold over 2 million copies, has a system implemented (Galactic Initiatives), that take into account the view of only 3,477 players - the deciding vote by as few as 1,368?

Isn't it outrageous that regulars to this forum who raise concerns about certain aspects of the game that they usually don't like are able to influence Frontier into making changes to the game that impact literally thousands of other players (potentially millions) whose opinions have not been heard? I certainly think it is.

Otherwise, if it is the case that Elite Dangerous only has several thousand players regularly playing the game, despite selling millions of units, that's a very sad reflection on the state of affairs.

I could be wrong, but it appears that PC players are likely the ones most frequenting this forum, and thereby dictating how this game develops. I would have preferred Frontier to have implemented an in-game mechanism available to all players on all platforms.

At any rate, the 1,368 (3,477 total vote casters) Forum members have cast their votes and made a decision on behalf of the galactic community of Elite Dangerous players consisting (potentially) of over 2 million players (thousands on Steam, Xbox, Playstation, etc.).

I've also witnessed various changes to this game (usually affecting the risk level of the game, the danger, etc.), and how it's constantly been reduced - and it appears to be all thanks to the several hundreds, or few thousand, who frequent this Forum regularly to voice their opinions and complain. As for what the rest of the players who are never heard from think of the changes, who knows?

Perhaps if there aren't nearly as many players as 1 million frequently playing, Frontier needs to ask why. Could it be due to the fact that it gives heed to the voice of the same old tired Forum members that want the game reshaped in their own image, rather than it remaining true to its Elite roots? Thousands of players who are not Forum members, and millions of owners of this game, yet Frontier persists in pandering to a small crowd.

Is it congratulations to Frontier for the Galactic Initiatives...? Congratulations for a successful Forum vote Frontier...?
That is concurrent players (people playing at the same time), not total players on steam. Just thought I should point that out. Total players in steam is likely to be around the 70,000 mark and goes up to over 100,000 after an update.

That is concurrent players (people playing at the same time), not total players on steam. Just thought I should point that out. Total players in steam is likely to be around the 70,000 mark and goes up to over 100,000 after an update.
Lets also realise that any game developer is going to consider feedback, ideas and feature requests from players who actually get involved and provide feedback to the developers. Those players who simply play the game and never make any contact, feedback or post to the developers are not going to have their minds read. It's in players own interests to get involved, whether it's a vote for a community event or simply providing their own individual feedback, if they want to see the game change.

Lets also realise that any game developer is going to consider feedback, ideas and feature requests from players who actually get involved and provide feedback to the developers. Those players who simply play the game and never make any contact, feedback or post to the developers are not going to have their minds read. It's in players own interests to get involved, whether it's a vote for a community event or simply providing their own individual feedback, if they want to see the game change.
I agree. Was just pointing out an issue in your post. The rest is perfectly fine.

Top Bottom