Recent Galactic Initiative 'vote' - Frontier's Forum Dictating the Direction of the Game

Vincent Serra

Formerly 'stripeydave'
Seems to me they're trialling a new system of community involvement by allowing players to vote on an essentially meaningless decision (all these sites are pretty close together, so the actual end point is pretty insignificant) to see how it plays out.
As mentioned above given the feedback they're unlikely to try again.
However, for someone who's complaining about "the minority" on the forums dictating developers decisions, there is a certain irony to this thread...

I do of course. :p I know it's a slippery slope, but you can't tell me that democracy is working as designed now that there are 8bn people in the world. I don't have a better idea, though, I won't pretend I do. Even restricting the vote to people of a certain educational level would lead to discrimination and inequality.
Democracy isn't tossing your ballot every now and then...

Seems to me they're trialling a new system of community involvement by allowing players to vote on an essentially meaningless decision (all these sites are pretty close together, so the actual end point is pretty insignificant) to see how it plays out.
As mentioned above given the feedback they're unlikely to try again.
However, for someone who's complaining about "the minority" on the forums dictating developers decisions, there is a certain irony to this thread...
Apart from the fact I'm in the majority, but have come here to use the tools of the minority against them... o_O

While the poll took place on the forums, it was both advertised in the launcher and in a mailshot to players who receive the newsletter.

If players still did not have any idea that the poll was taking place then they either don't play the game or choose not to receive the newsletter - which is, really, down to them.
Mate, cmon, seriously. An in game event that had nothing in game to show it off.
Forums, newsletters and the launch screen...
What is this .. The 90s?
Its almost like play by mail dungeons and dragons.

The entire amount of votes cast was: 3,477. The system chosen was Synuefe EN-H d11-96. Total votes cast in favour of this system: 1,368. A second system might also have been chosen, perhaps the second most popular (based on the views of the limited number of users on this forum).

Basically, 1,368 people have made a decision for thousands of other players (total participants in this phase of the 'Galactic Initiative' was 3,477).
It's hardly surprising that people don't vote when they don't have real choices to make. Would you rather get a free ride to worthless grind system A or worthless grind system B? None of the above, thanks.

Since there was an email sent to each account telling them about this vote, I really don't see any problem.
Didnt get an email. More than likely went straight into my spam folder and got deleted. I dont do gaming emails for any game. I have enough crap being filtered as it is thank you.
If its not in the game, particularly when the game has a perfectly acceptable set up such as galnet and mission boards... Well... Thats just daft.
I ised to ignore all the eve online emails too... And i could log in and find out easily what was going on in game.
Emails and newsletters are not games.

Isn't it outrageous that regulars to this forum who raise concerns about certain aspects of the game that they usually don't like are able to influence Frontier into making changes to the game that impact literally thousands of other players (potentially millions) whose opinions have not been heard? I certainly think it is.
That actually made me laugh. You're giving too much credit to forum posters ability to influence anything, at all. The forums are a containment and self therapy device. Frontier respond to twitter and reddit far more meaningfully than they do here. What dimension do you live in because thats so far from the reality of how it is.

Didnt get an email. More than likely went straight into my spam folder and got deleted. I dont do gaming emails for any game. I have enough crap being filtered as it is thank you.
If its not in the game, particularly when the game has a perfectly acceptable set up such as galnet and mission boards... Well... Thats just daft.
I ised to ignore all the eve online emails too... And i could log in and find out easily what was going on in game.
Emails and newsletters are not games.
It's the new era they are testing out .... game will be played from smartphones 😮

I agree with the OP on principle that it's probably not a good idea to have forum users decide by poll for the entire community. If a poll was done at all, it should have been done in game, or from the launcher (like with the ship transfer poll).

However, I say this as a forum user who didn't vote. Because there was absolutely no meaningful difference between them that justified a vote.

Does anyone really believe that the choice of system would have meant a different outcome in terms of weapons, other aspects of the four week event? The only thing voted on was the location where the ferry would go to and outpost would be placed.

Since they're all right next door to each other, and the distance to the bubble is close, what meaning did my vote have?

Even if the idea was to make anti-xeno activity more accessible, it didn't even succeed in that.

Love the game. Don't get this Interstellar Initiative stuff. Nobody thought through what the whole thing would be like from the player's end?

Last edited:
Love the game. Don't get this Interstellar Initiative stuff. Nobody thought through what the whole thing would be like from the player's end?
I don't think that's in frontiers DNA.. at least at the top levels. Frontier are tool makers. Look at every single frontier game in recent history... they are first and foremost a bunch of tools slapped together with the bare minimum context around it to justify the collection. All their games...

The problem with not considering player perception is that this works while frontiers intentions and players intentions don't conflict. When they are not aligned though, the games feel entirely broken. Recent examples:

• Frontier intended exploration was about the credits and tags and severely inconvenienced exploration for interest to effective shut down.
  • Frontier thought guardian content was about the lore (while at the same time not saying a peep about this) but all players (seemingly) wanted to do was shoot things.
  • Frontier thought passenger missions were all about credits and designed a cargo hauling system when the first association with passengers is sight seeing.
  • Frontier thought pvp ganking would be solved by effecting pve players (okay this one is not a serious example).
  • Frontier thought docking was too difficult when beyond a shred of doubt the keybind monster is the real problem (try and pretend you're a new player and see where you give up).
There's hundreds of these, and over time as a player you have to encounter them. Frontier's toolmaker approach is the only rational explanation i think.

Thankfully FD "ONLY" gives the player base a minor vote on a minor item.
I don't see them kow towing to any certain group. I see them as business decisions for making a profit and keeping the game viable. YMMV

That actually made me laugh. You're giving too much credit to forum posters ability to influence anything, at all. The forums are a containment and self therapy device. Frontier respond to twitter and reddit far more meaningfully than they do here. What dimension do you live in because thats so far from the reality of how it is.
I'm detached from reality... 👽

Top Bottom