Recon Limpet

I really hope this is an exploration tool to find cool stuff on planets and not just a thing to "hack" megaships for some data and text.

We have that now. We don't need a wasted module space on something we can already do. At the very least if it is supposed to be a hacking thing it better come with a sudoku puzzle or mini game.

I mean come on!

Frontier keeps adding mechanics and modules to the game without changing the amount of slots in our ships. I think that's a mistake. Maybe some stuff should just be added to our ships automatically, like the data link scanner for example.

PS
Or there could be just one type of limpet controller and limpet that is able to perform every action. A universal limpet. I would even fit it to my ship.

Last edited:
That would be such a waste of coding time for something that should have just been scannable.

If the limpet can hack nav-beacons and get me info on valuable
convoys in the system or special transports coming up
it'd be useful.

Just having a new limpet type for a single interactable POI
on a megaship is just a big waste.
Why do we need to have sepcialized limpet controllers,
if every 2 month there is a new limpet?

Frontier keeps adding mechanics and modules to the game without changing the amount of slots in our ships. I think that's a mistake. Maybe some stuff should just be added to our ships automatically, like the data link scanner for example.

PS
Or there could be just one type of limpet controller and limpet that is able to perform every action. A universal limpet. I would even fit it to my ship.

Absolutely, or they just could circumvent the problem,
having limpet controllers only adding a maximum number of parallel active limpets
and have us buy specialized limpets from the resupply store.

It is pretty unintuitive to have a specialized controller for every thing,
especially seeing it as each limpet has to be differently equipped and
have specialized firmware in.

The only thing limpet controllers do is steer the things!

Last edited:
If the limpet can hack nav-beacons and get me info on valuable
convoys in the system or special transports coming up
it'd be useful.

Just having a new limpet type for a single interactable POI
on a megaship is just a big waste.
Why do we need to have sepcialized limpet controllers,
if every 2 month there is a new limpet?

Absolutely, or they just could circumvent the problem,
having limpet controllers only adding a maximum number of parallel active limpets
and have us buy specialized limpets from the resupply store.

It is pretty unintuitive to have a specialized controller for every thing,
especially seeing it as each limpet has to be differently equipped and
have specialized firmware in.

The only thing limpet controllers do is steer the things!

I think that part of the complaints about Elite having not enough game play, content, mechanics, etc is because they always cut us off form the content. It would be awesome to have missions that combine all the different mechanics in the game but it would be impossible because nobody has such a ship...

Slopey

Volunteer Moderator
I think that part of the complaints about Elite having not enough game play, content, mechanics, etc is because they always cut us off form the content. It would be awesome to have missions that combine all the different mechanics in the game but it would be impossible because nobody has such a ship...

Hopefully Wing missions will cover that in the future, which would work very nicely.

What is with the limpet module stuff -_-

It's such a convoluted and silly way to do things. How does the launcher define what the limpet does? Shouldn't this be dictated by the TYPE of LIMPET you have which is then launched by who-cares-what-method?

The launcher should have absolutely no bearing on what the limpet does.

We should have one "Limpet Launcher" module, and whatever task you want the limpet to do should be dictated by the type of limpet you have in your cargohold. You could load the limpet types easily through the "Functions" tab, just as we set Turreted weapons to Free-for-all, Forward Fire or Target-Only.

Why do we need all these anti-logical modules in the game?

If I have a "Hatch Breaker Limpet" then it shouldn't matter how it is launched.

Hell, grab it with your hands, roll down the window and chuck it out and it should fly off and do it's thing.

I think that there should be a module with different sizes just called a limpet controller. This limpet controller has slots, the bigger the limpet controller the more slots its has which you can then plug in the different types of sub-modules such as Recon, Collector, Decontamination, Fuel Transfer, Hatch Breaker, Prospector, Repair, Research.

So a size 1 has 1 slot

Size 3 has 2 slots

Size 5 has 3 slots

Size 7 has 4 slots

You can only have 1 limpet controller installed like a shield as they plug into your sensors/comms array and there is only one connection for them.

Or have it as Red Fox Four and have limpet controllers but have lots of different types of limpets.

Last edited:
What is with the limpet module stuff -_-

It's such a convoluted and silly way to do things. How does the launcher define what the limpet does? Shouldn't this be dictated by the TYPE of LIMPET you have which is then launched by who-cares-what-method?

The launcher should have absolutely no bearing on what the limpet does.

We should have one "Limpet Launcher" module, and whatever task you want the limpet to do should be dictated by the type of limpet you have in your cargohold. You could load the limpet types easily through the "Functions" tab, just as we set Turreted weapons to Free-for-all, Forward Fire or Target-Only.

Why do we need all these anti-logical modules in the game?

If I have a "Hatch Breaker Limpet" then it shouldn't matter how it is launched.

Hell, grab it with your hands, roll down the window and chuck it out and it should fly off and do it's thing.

I think they've done it that way so you can bind different limpet controllers to different firegroup buttons (e.g. when mining you can really quickly switch between firegroups and/or use primary/secondary fire buttons to launch prospectors and collectors). I think deploying different limpets would become somewhat cumbersome so the idea of having programmable limpets who's function is determined by the controller you fire it with seems like a fairly inspired bit of game design.

I think they've done it that way so you can bind different limpet controllers to different firegroup buttons (e.g. when mining you can really quickly switch between firegroups and/or use primary/secondary fire buttons to launch prospectors and collectors). I think deploying different limpets would become somewhat cumbersome so the idea of having programmable limpets who's function is determined by the controller you fire it with seems like a fairly inspired bit of game design.
That worked fine when there was only prospector and collector limpets. Now we have several more as well (and who knows how many in the future). It just doesn't work from a game play perspective: If you chance upon something interesting but haven't fitted the right controller, are you going to bother finding a station that sells what you want, change your ship set up, fly back etc? Maybe if it's really a good something - such as the collection from burning stations, otherwise I think I at least would simply ignore it and keep doing what I was doing.

So play together or don't bother with the new content?
I dislike any attempt to drive people into playing together. Great if that's what you want, but it's not for me. :(

He isn't. There is nothing to suggest there won't be any solo misisons for that either. What we do know is that there will be missions coming down the line with these mechanics in use. They will also be adding these mechanics to all the none landable installations further in the beyond series and possibly to other structures that we can land at.

for that you have the jack of all trades Anaconda - the ship with the most free internal slots - you can fit 9 different limpets, a shield and a cargo container.
aside from that, its the ships with the second most weapon slots and suport all sizes. 8 utility give you the maxium freedom there too.

220px-Wollmilchsau.jpg

That worked fine when there was only prospector and collector limpets. Now we have several more as well (and who knows how many in the future). It just doesn't work from a game play perspective: If you chance upon something interesting but haven't fitted the right controller, are you going to bother finding a station that sells what you want, change your ship set up, fly back etc? Maybe if it's really a good something - such as the collection from burning stations, otherwise I think I at least would simply ignore it and keep doing what I was doing.

It's a problem I agree. I'm not sure having different limpets would be the solution tho', a) it's a bit of U-turn for Frontier's design (and they tend not to favour U-turns), b) you'd still have to go and get some limpets of a different type in your scenario and c) in the example of mining at least, it's really neat that you can fill up with generic limpets which you then use up for both prospecting and collection without having to known in advance how many of each to take with you.

I'm still quite taken with my idea of a limpet controller rack

Something needs to change I agree. To many limpet controllers, there are 8 at the moment. While I don't mind having 8 there needs to be a way to put more in. But I do think that there should be limitations to how many you can manage. Hense the reason why I like the idea for sub-modules for a standard limpet controller module.

Top Bottom