Record Planet coaster?

HI,

does anyone have any suggestions on what free software i can use to record planet coaster, i have tried Microsoft expression encoder but the videos lag a lot for some reason.

Thanks[big grin]

I'm not sure what some good free recording software is but you can try the likes of OBS, XSplit but heard they can be hard to use (no idea how true that is).

However if you have a NVidia GTX 960 or greater you can use Shadow Play which is apart of the GeForce Experience to record. It's what I use for all my recordings. Simple to use and doesn't eat all your HD space.

I'm not sure what some good free recording software is but you can try the likes of OBS, XSplit but heard they can be hard to use (no idea how true that is).

However if you have a NVidia GTX 960 or greater you can use Shadow Play which is apart of the GeForce Experience to record. It's what I use for all my recordings. Simple to use and doesn't eat all your HD space.

If only...[cry] i have intel graphics but i will try the ones you suggested, thanks!!![praise]

Do you have Windows 10? I know in Windows 10, it already has built in screen video recording. You simply hit the WINDOWS key and G key at the same time to open up the recorder. Not sure if Win8 has it too...

If only...[cry] i have intel graphics but i will try the ones you suggested, thanks!!![praise]

Probably for good reason lol.

30 seconds maximum record time for free users, watermark and eats all your space.

I have no problem with Fraps at all. Works prefectly fine, with no lag etc. It does indeed use up a lot of space, but I edit the vids and delete the original video.

I have no problem with Fraps at all. Works prefectly fine, with no lag etc. It does indeed use up a lot of space, but I edit the vids and delete the original video.

fraps eats frames like there's no tomorrow compared to shadowplay

HI,

does anyone have any suggestions on what free software i can use to record planet coaster, i have tried Microsoft expression encoder but the videos lag a lot for some reason.

Thanks[big grin]

I'm using OBS for creating my gameplay videos and for streaming. It should solve your problems after a little bit of tweaking.

I use something called LoiLo Game Recorder as it's pretty small & compact, namely it's not a resorce hog like FRAPS is, so I can run it & the game at the same time and not notice any CPU / GPU hit as the game runs while it's recording, granted my CPU has like 10 cores, 4 for the CPU & 6 for the GPU, it's an AMD A8 7600.

So might be why I don't notice a performance hit as much, heh heh heh ;-)

Anyway that's what I use for recording the game, when I do record the game that is.

Last edited:

Harbinger

Volunteer Moderator
Can't say I've noticed Fraps being a resource hog, well apart from eating up hard drive space due to the recorded video being uncompressed [wink]. It always records smooth for me without any frames skipping, then again I don't use the "Force Lossless RGB capture" mode, the quality of the standard record seems perfectly fine for me.

Using Fraps does however require you to compress your videos manually to bring down that file size, personally I do this with VirtualDub using the Xvid codec. The resultant video always looks every bit as good as the original without any artefacts that I can detect.

Last edited:
No matter what game I tried to record with Fraps, it hit the game hard slowing it down by 10 FPS. After trying several free recorders, I finally took the plunge and bought D3DGear for $34.95 and am very satisfied with it. It has a negligible FPS hit, can do live streams as well a take screenshots. You can find it here:

Code:
http://www.d3dgear.com/

Harbinger

Volunteer Moderator
This looks pretty interesting:
[video=youtube;Qlj_ki5htZA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qlj_ki5htZA[/video]

Again Dxtory is not a free solution at 3800 JPY (approx £24/€30/$35) but there seems to be no in-game lag whatsoever. The tutorial of separating audio streams is really cool too.

Last edited:
I know you said free, but I have used Action! . Get it direct from their site and you can get it cheaper than it is off Steam.

Thanks for all of your help guys but i have worked out how to use the built in windows 10 recorder and its great![big grin]

I use something called LoiLo Game Recorder as it's pretty small & compact, namely it's not a resorce hog like FRAPS is, so I can run it & the game at the same time and not notice any CPU / GPU hit as the game runs while it's recording, granted my CPU has like 10 cores, 4 for the CPU & 6 for the GPU, it's an AMD A8 7600.

So might be why I don't notice a performance hit as much, heh heh heh ;-)

Anyway that's what I use for recording the game, when I do record the game that is.

I've tried loilo and for some reason, it does not like pc at all, not sure why. It gave me error messages

Any tips?? - i just get the error "There is nothing to record. Play some more and try again"

Sometimes a reboot does the trick.

There is also something about the active window, and full screen vs window'd mode.

Lastly you might need to "tell" windows to recognize that you have a game though for the life of me I'm not sure how to do that right now.

Top Bottom