General / Off-Topic Recycle or Die! (the elite environmental thread)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Good lord man, please show the court where the SUV inappropriately touched you on the doll.

"Rot the lives of pedestrians"? "Spoil the architecture beauty of neighborhoods"?
Im dying right now XD

What else they do? Beating up kids in school for their lunch money?
Listening to that darn "rock n roll" devil music.
Skateboard on public property?

I get why personally you might not like SUVs but please go on .... :ROFLMAO:
jasonbarron tentatively raises hand

My reason for liking them is the increased legroom and extra DVD player in the third row of seats for my non-environmentally conscious sized family of MAGA kids.

I am not making a point of climate denial, just playing the devil's advocate - and the general term 'all scientists' popped up. Also, there was a claim about that essay that is is credible because the author talked to scientists... Gotta love though, that because it's not their field of expertise, their opinion is dismissed - like if any of us would have more authority than they. :)
Here is a list of scientists who deny climate change, go and have a look, some of them are meteorologists. :)

I'm not sure what's the problem about filtering out opinions that do actually matter, perhaps you think mathematicians have a relevant say on nutriology lol. Also from your link:

1280px-Climate_science_opinion_graph_3Path.svg.png

Yep, pretty clear consensus.

In any case, as the director of the International Energy Agency says :

SUVs, very popular urban 4X4, were the second largest source of global carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions between 2010 and 2018, warned Wednesday the director of the International Energy Agency.

In 2010, 18% of car sales in the world involved SUVs, in 2018 it was more than 40% !

As a result, over the past decade, SUVs have been the second largest source of CO2 emissions growth, after the energy sector, but before heavy industry (steel, cement, etc.). .), heavy goods vehicles or aviation.

More than 200 million SUVs circulate around the world today, compared to 35 million in 2010.

Often heavier and less aerodynamic, these vehicles consume a quarter more energy compared to a medium-sized car, says the report.
I would really like to see a source, for the above statistics, because a statement like: "SUVs, very popular urban 4X4, were the second largest source of global carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions between 2010 and 2018, warned Wednesday the director of the International Energy Agency." Sounds pretty nuts to me. If they were talking, just cars, maybe. Maybe cars in the U.S., maybe. But to state that, SUVs are the 2nd highest producers of CO2, on the planet. No, I want some tangible proof.

I'm not sure what's the problem about filtering out opinions that do actually matter, perhaps you think mathematicians have a relevant say on nutriology lol. Also from your link:

1280px-Climate_science_opinion_graph_3Path.svg.png

Yep, pretty clear consensus.

You don't get the point I made, do you? :)
Now look for a similar chart that shows the proportion of scientists who believe in humanity's imminent end.

In any case, as the director of the International Energy Agency says :

SUVs, very popular urban 4X4, were the second largest source of global carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions between 2010 and 2018

Second largest contributor to the increase in global CO2 emissions between 2010 and 2018.

I would really like to see a source, for the above statistics, because a statement like: "SUVs, very popular urban 4X4, were the second largest source of global carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions between 2010 and 2018, warned Wednesday the director of the International Energy Agency." Sounds pretty nuts to me. If they were talking, just cars, maybe. Maybe cars in the U.S., maybe. But to state that, SUVs are the 2nd highest producers of CO2, on the planet. No, I want some tangible proof.

The omission of the word 'increase' fundamentally changes the statement.

SUVs aren't anywhere near the 2nd highest producer of CO2, they just gained the second most among those sources that saw increases. Any source that didn't see an increase, even if it's a much larger contributor to total CO2 emissions, would not be in such a comparison.

You don't get the point I made, do you? :)
Now look for a similar chart that shows the proportion of scientists who believe in humanity's imminent end.

You made a point I wasn't contesting, I can't speak for others but I'm well aware there are scientists who think AGW is not a real thing, I showed why that wasn't really an issue.

Second largest contributor to the increase in global CO2 emissions between 2010 and 2018.

The omission of the word 'increase' fundamentally changes the statement.

SUVs aren't anywhere near the 2nd highest producer of CO2, they just gained the second most among those sources that saw increases. Any source that didn't see an increase, even if it's a much larger contributor to total CO2 emissions, would not be in such a comparison.
Got it. Like saying 'my company is the fastest growing', because it doubled in sales, from 1 to 2 sales today. Twisting what eminent people have said; be it by omission or editing, really es me off.

Simply by the logic, of looking at the increase in SUV sales; you can come to the same conclusion. The 'increase' in sales, has raised the amount of CO2, they produce. Meh.

Got it. Like saying 'my company is the fastest growing', because it doubled in sales, from 1 to 2 sales today. Twisting what eminent people have said; be it by omission or editing, really es me off.

Simply by the logic, of looking at the increase in SUV sales; you can come to the same conclusion. The 'increase' in sales, has raised the amount of CO2, they produce. Meh.

I think it was probably an honest mistake/misinterpretation.

But yeah, the whole point of the statement is that SUVs are rather inefficient, but their popularity is significant and increasing, which is offsetting the efficiency gains from the rest of the auto market. Fuel is so cheap that the inefficiency of SUVs is not a strong deterrent to their sales and they are being peddled to people who don't need them.

I think it was probably an honest mistake/misinterpretation.

But yeah, the whole point of the statement is that SUVs are rather inefficient, but their popularity is significant and increasing, which is offsetting the efficiency gains from the rest of the auto market. Fuel is so cheap that the inefficiency of SUVs is not a strong deterrent to their sales and they are being peddled to people who don't need them.
To me: SUVs are just today's, power shoulders, of the 80s.

The reason I use an SUV for my family IS because I'm being environmentally conscious: now, I can make one big trip instead of a bunch of little trips.

I like my SUV for off-road desert camping, and it is very handy for moving my big family around. It's more fuel efficient than my old Camry too. It's AWD is great in the rain and snow as well. I think I'll buy one for my wife to replace her Scion. Toyota quality has dropped imo lately. After reading this thread, I think I'll get one for my parents too. They are finding their corolla a bit smallish.

How big is your family, Gregg? Along with your wife, how many kids have you tried stuffing into a small car? Do you even own or have any experience driving a car, or are you asking me a hypothetical?

Oh man, ED is probably going to be dead by the time I'm married, in any case, my family is of 4, not sure how the ownership of a car would make me change my mind on fitting 5 persons in an average car. Now, how big's your family?

Oh man, ED is probably going to be dead by the time I'm married, in any case, my family is of 4, not sure how the ownership of a car would make me change my mind on fitting 5 persons in an average car. Now, how big's your family?
I'm just trying to figure out if you have any experience fitting kids into a car, which you still haven't answered. In fact, it sounds like you are the one getting fitted into the car, if I read between the lines.

Anyway, I have six kids, so eight people counting my wife.

I'm just trying to figure out if you have any experience fitting kids into a car, which you still haven't answered. In fact, it sounds like you are the one getting fitted into the car, if I read between the lines.

No car as of right now, not that big of a burden given the campus is at a 10 min walk, bus is cheap AF.

Anyway, I have six kids, so eight people counting my wife.

Holy moly, I'm starting to think that SUV of yours isn't the real issue here.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom