General / Off-Topic Recycle or Die! (the elite environmental thread)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Yes, he did mention life. Context is important, though.

Context is important, and here is the thing Jason, you have the opinion that AGW is not a threat (or grave threat), and Talarin also has his own opinion along those lines, as do nearly all people that deny AGW is a problem we need to do something about. Whenever I see a debate from people that express that same opinion one thing they NEVER give is actual 'evidence' to support their opinions, like never. Maybe a few links to some dusty blog post, but when Talarin expresses their opinion that there is no real issue from AGW and no evidence to suggest otherwise (say like the majority of links in this very thread to the various scientific studies on the subject), and OFFERS NO EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT THE ARGUMENT, well it has to be a troll plain and simple.

You (and Talarin and others like you) might firmly and whole heartily believe in your opinion on the subject, but sadly that is stacked up against such huge actual scientific evidence to counter that opinion it just is not (sadly for you) credible.

Like i can tell you i really believe in dragons, i really do (being welsh might have something to do with it), but can i offer you actual 'evidence' they exist? Not so much. So that to me is where yourself and Talarin sit on the subject, you both appear to want to believe in dragons but have no proof to support your convictions, and even the very 'flimsy' evidence so far provided (blog post links (not peer reviewed) or Fox News articles (the masters of false news and misinformation)) just pales in comparison to the very serious and detailed evidence that is forcing the world (even sectors like Big Oil and Banks etc) to act on the serious issue of AGW.

It's (AGW) real, very real and sadly simply not liking that reality does not change it. Science tends to work like that, it's all about the proof of which there is mountains to support AGW (man made global warming) being a big issue now and in the future. We have to deal with it, or our kids children will have a very bleak life. It's that simple and that obvious, so we need to listen to the credible science on the subject and pay attention to make the changes we will need to over the next 50 years or sooner.

The question remains; why is there no evidence of the tipping point being triggered when temperatures were known to be considerably higher in the past?

Because other factors required to reach the sort of tipping point in question were not in place. Temperature is never the sole consideration of any tipping point mentioned in this context.

Peak temperatures in the HCO you used as an example were when solar heating due to the Milankovitch cycle was already on the decline, when CO2 concentrations were far lower, when other potentially mitigating factors were not exhausted, etc and so forth.

The reason the same temperature could be the trigger of tipping points now, when all the other pieces are in place, should not be difficult to grasp.

An action plan always useful but all these people can’t avoid talking about financial benefits.

That's because you can put a price on anything, and have to, to get the the attention of those with the power to change things.

There are no consequences, no loss of diversity, no social turmoil, no lives, that cannot be distilled down to a cost/benefit ratio demarcated with Dollars. That's the language that is understood and the language one has to speak. Everything else is subjective, ephemeral, but money...that's real to the people that matter in this.

The cars contribute to the destruction of the planet with their CO2 emissions, but also by polluting the seas.

The Golden Ray, loaded with 7000 vehicles, lay on its port side in shallow waters off the City of Brunswick, Georgia. :p

Nothing you said or has been said on this thread refutes Talarin's statement; the world is changing, but we will adapt and there is no credible evidence to the contrary.

Yes you are right. We adapt and we will adapt.

More than 90% of the world's population breathe polluted air, warns the World Health Organization

Nearly 7 million people die each year from diseases caused by air pollution worldwide.

Below is a credible proof of the kind of adaptation that does not satisfy me.

Gotta keep your eye on ball, Greg: mankind's adaptability is what we were talking about in the latest point.

Maintenant, the adaptability of the humanity is not the goal.

The survival of the nature and the animals is the goal.

The humanity unfortunately only has the name, not the substance, not the level, and not the dignity.

A species destined to disappear, for the greater good of the planet without a doubt, if it continues in this destructive way

There are no consequences, no loss of diversity, no social turmoil, no lives, that cannot be distilled down to a cost/benefit ratio demarcated with Dollars. That's the language that is understood and the language one has to speak. Everything else is subjective, ephemeral, but money...that's real to the people that matter in this.

Problem is that some of the deniers seems to be sore loosers:

The humanity unfortunately only has the name, not the substance, not the level, and not the dignity.

A species destined to disappear, for the greater good of the planet without a doubt, if it continues in this destructive way

Can't be helped, but this is how I visualized your post. :)

images

Some will, some will not. The picture you shared where people were wearing air masks might be in trouble. I hear those poor people in France have polluted their waterways now to the point where the chemicals in the toxic slime washing up on their shores can "kill a person in seconds," they have some difficult times ahead for sure. But other people won't, and there will be regions that are largely unaffected that will be able to adapt comfortably.

Some will, some will not. The picture you shared where people were wearing air masks might be in trouble. I hear those poor people in France have polluted their waterways now to the point where the chemicals in the toxic slime washing up on their shores can "kill a person in seconds," they have some difficult times ahead for sure. But other people won't, and there will be regions that are largely unaffected that will be able to adapt comfortably.

I really wonder how they got that figure, did someone get to touch it and die in seconds? Mind you, even arsenic takes about a minute to kill you and that is if you ingest it, we are talking mere contact here.

I really wonder how they got that figure, did someone get to touch it and die in seconds? Mind you, even arsenic takes about a minute to kill you and that is if you ingest it, we are talking mere contact here.
I'm just going from the article that I shared earlier. I assume it's a bit hyperbolic for drama's sake, but I don't notice anyone else around here allowing for that in their apocalyptic forecasts.

I'm just going from the article that I shared earlier. I assume it's a bit hyperbolic for drama's sake, but I don't notice anyone else around here allowing for that in their apocalyptic forecasts.

You yourself are being a hypocrite by complaining on the integrity of pop science while citing a rather preposterous article and for the record, I do not think the world is going to end but hardships will surely ensue, Also, some of those forecasts actually have some evidence behind them (even if insufficient), I'd be very much surprised to hear the source for the toxicity of that slime.

You yourself are being a hypocrite by complaining on the integrity of pop science while citing a rather preposterous article and for the record, I do not think the world is going to end but hardships will surely ensue, Also, some of those forecasts actually have some evidence behind them (even if insufficient), I'd be very much surprised to hear the source for the toxicity of that slime.
Do you ever just stick with facts and the thread topic, or am I doomed to always have your personal attacks on me form the basis of our posting relationship?

Yes, my region will be a likely winner in the climate crisis ahead. No toxic beaches, anyhow. I'd move to somewhere else if I didn't think so.
This is essential. Your little personal comfort is saved. The planet and all its fauna and flora can burst

Your children will survive miserably with the fear behind the high walls, in the hope of containing millions of hungry who will come to your beautiful region, famous for its oil, gas and mining pollution.

You still don’t understand that this is a global problem and that no matter where you live you will be impacted in one way or another.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom