General / Off-Topic Recycle or Die! (the elite environmental thread)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
He is right.

We have the demonstration with Audi that will propose 30 models of electric car in 2025.

Bye bye oil.

Yes, and the whole article i linked is very interesting, and very positive. When it is the top people that run our economies telling us they understand we have to move to green economies, or watch them collapse (he quotes the CEO of Morgan Stanley in the article), that is about 90% of the battle won.

AGW is real, despite the deliberate confussion spread by Big Oil (and seen here in this thread in a number of peoples incorrect opinions on the subject!) to stall the realisation on how important it will be for future human socitiey to adapt to their role in causing AGW. The money (economy) is doing the talking here and it will just be a matter of time until that leads to everyone playing from the same play book. We need to adapt to AGW, reduce CO2 output (in our economy and lives) and develope green tech and systems for running our countries.

The top levels of global finnance are now very clear in sending out that message, we just need to bring on-board all those that have had their opinions tainted by the decades of miss-information on the subject.

So overall i found the article very, very inspiring in that it seems from the top down (which it did not look like even a decade ago) they are understanding the changes needed, and that means we will get them and future humanity has a glimmer of hope of still being around centuries from now. It's great news :)

'Renewable electricity overtakes fossil fuels in UK for first time':

Renewable energy sources provided more electricity to UK homes and businesses than fossil fuels for the first time over the last quarter, according to new research.

The renewables record was set in the third quarter of this year after its share of the electricity mix rose to 40%.

It is the first time that electricity from British windfarms, solar panels and renewable biomass plants has surpassed fossil fuels since the UK’s first power plant fired up in 1882.

There is plenty of positives to be found alongside the evidence of just how bad AGW is (and is going to get).

'Renewable electricity overtakes fossil fuels in UK for first time':

There is plenty of positives to be found alongside the evidence of just how bad AGW is (and is going to get).
The United Kingdom on the front line

This is good news for the rest of humanity because UK proves that it is possible.

Indeed it is possible, even with an energy system still designed on an older model of fossile fuel usage. Imagine what we could achieve if we designed our systems with renewables as the main/only sources of energy production. That is the next challenge for our adaption.

And a more detailed look at the same story:

'Analysis: UK renewables generate more electricity than fossil fuels for first time':

As expected some people still don't get it:

'Concerns as EU bank balks at plan to halt fossil fuel investments':

The European Investment Bank (EIB) has balked at a proposal to halt new investments in fossil fuels, raising concerns that Germany and other nations are plotting to water down what would be one of the financial sector’s most ambitious climate moves.

The EIB, the largest public bank in the world, announced this year that it would end lending to new gas projects, having already curtailed funding for coal and oil. This would free up more money for renewable energy developments. The details of the plan were expected to be confirmed by a board meeting of EU finance ministers on Tuesday but last-minute lobbying has forced a postponement.

Executives of the bank, which is owned by EU member states, said the plan was still on course and would probably be approved next month.

“The new energy lending policy is a milestone on the EIB’s road to transform itself into the EU Climate Bank. I am pleased about the important progress made today and am confident of securing a final approval in November,” said Andrew McDowell, the EIB vice-president responsible for energy.

But climate campaigners fear the measures will be delayed further and weakened.

And there is no time to delay these kind of decisions due to concerns like these:

'Bank of England boss says global finance is funding 4C temperature rise':

The governor of the Bank of England has warned that the global financial system is backing carbon-producing projects that will raise the temperature of the planet by over 4C – more than double the pledge to limit increases to well below 2C contained in the Paris Agreement.

In a stark warning over global heating, Mark Carney said the multitrillion-dollar international capital markets – where companies raise funds by selling shares and bonds to investors – are financing activities that would lift global temperatures to more than 4C above pre-industrial levels.

So while progress IS being made where it matters (in some sectors of the finnancial system), we still have a long way to go to avoid catastrophic AGW issues over the next few hundred years. We must all apply the pressure needed to make those changes faster.

As expected some people still don't get it:

'Concerns as EU bank balks at plan to halt fossil fuel investments':

And there is no time to delay these kind of decisions due to concerns like these:

'Bank of England boss says global finance is funding 4C temperature rise':

So while progress IS being made where it matters (in some sectors of the finnancial system), we still have a long way to go to avoid catastrophic AGW issues over the next few hundred years. We must all apply the pressure needed to make those changes faster.
As long as there’s a drop of oil left under the ground, the bankers will prowl around like vultures.

Ha anyone seen Lewis Hamilton's latest outburst..... No sure how i feel about it tbh. he is championing everyone going Vegan and the fact the planet is going to crap.... and has sold his private jet!.

Now on one hand he may not be wrong and clearly he is a role model for a lot of kids so that is a good thing. OTOH his entire career he has made mega millions off is based on jet setting around the globe and driving cars essentially burning up the environment just for fun... Seems a bit hypocritical really esp as 1) he is still racing and 2) even if he wasnt, it is quite easy to take the moral high ground AFTER you have made your mega millions of £ and lived an environmentally questionable life.

I cant help but feel it is as much a publicity stunt for a new restaurant as anything.

It is a bit like politicians lambasting private schools and wanting to get them closed AFTER they have got their qualifications and made all of their contacts........... through private schools. One one hand perhaps they are right, on the other, they are not the people i want making that decision.

Last edited:
Ha anyone seen Lewis Hamilton's latest outburst..... No sure how i feel about it tbh. he is championing everyone going Vegan and the fact the planet is going to crap.... and has sold his private jet!.

Now on one hand he may not be wrong and clearly he is a role model for a lot of kids so that is a good thing. OTOH his entire career he has made mega millions off is based on jet setting around the globe and driving cars essentially burning up the environment just for fun... Seems a bit hypocritical really esp as 1) he is still racing and 2) even if he wasnt, it is quite easy to take the moral high ground AFTER you have made your mega millions of £ and lived an environmentally questionable life.

I cant help it is as much a publicity stunt for a new restaurant as anything.

It is a bit like politicians lambasting private schools and wanting to get them closed AFTER they have got their qualifications and made all of their contacts........... through private schools. One one hand perhaps they are right, on the other, they are not the people i want making that decision.

Same with the rest of the celebrities like Di Caprio and Richard Branson. I mean, if you take your CO2 footprint seriously, you just don't maintain a private luxury resort island.

Hypocrisy is strong on this planet, but I don't know if Lewis genuinely got the message. He might have, and he is a somewhat sensitive fella.

Honestly, right now I don't think there is that many people who really have realized how much up the creek we are, or that we ain't got no paddle. You see glimpses of realization but those are mostly criticized for being too pessimistic.

I recently read this essay, and I think it gets the picture. It's not a complete description of the current situation, but it includes many of the important factors, and it tries to deal with human emotions and lack of rational action as well. Be warned: It's not bedtime reading, unless you chose to ignore some of the facts.

Hypocrisy is strong on this planet, but I don't know if Lewis genuinely got the message. He might have, and he is a somewhat sensitive fella.

Honestly, right now I don't think there is that many people who really have realized how much up the creek we are, or that we ain't got no paddle. You see glimpses of realization but those are mostly criticized for being too pessimistic.

I recently read this essay, and I think it gets the picture. It's not a complete description of the current situation, but it includes many of the important factors, and it tries to deal with human emotions and lack of rational action as well. Be warned: It's not bedtime reading, unless you chose to ignore some of the facts.

Deep KNOWLEGE - why is that in such doomsday publications, I keep finding basic grammar errors? In the title sequence of all, and I'm not even native English...

Deep KNOWLEGE - why is that in such doomsday publications, I keep finding basic grammar errors? In the title sequence of all, and I'm not even native English...
Not excusing such errors in publications at all... however perhaps it is because you are not native English that you spot these things.
For instance, my line manager is currently applying for British citizenship. She showed me the questions that she would be asked in her exam, and I would fail dismally. (stuff like past monarchs in order ...
Then some completely patronising and sterotypical questions about what the typical British person may do after finishing at work in an evening. (I kid you not)

actually...... i just passed! or at least the example questions... go me! :D (21 out of 24 tho so not perfect)

(sorry big derail there)

It's not OK to quote RT. But it's OK to post a piece of garbage that only has links to scientific papers to make a depressed borderline lunatic persons' views look scientific.
These people are raging hypocrites who have room only for confirmation bias in their minds. I've been repeating that point since I entered the discussion.

Because you shoot the messenger? ;)

On the spelling: Communication is transferral of information. From one brain to another. If the spelling or the grammar is distorting the message, then it's problematic. Otherwise it doesn't really matter, does it? It's the same with the fancy nomenclature. It's just noise stealing bandwith, leaving less for the signal.

I cant help but feel it is as much a publicity stunt for a new restaurant as anything.

Unquestionably an hypocrite here.

He sold his private jet to another person who will continue to pollute with.

It's exactly the same.

The destruction of his private jet could have been a real proof of his commitment to the environment.

SUVs, very popular urban 4X4, were the second largest source of global carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions between 2010 and 2018, warned Wednesday the director of the International Energy Agency.

In 2010, 18% of car sales in the world involved SUVs, in 2018 it was more than 40% !

As a result, over the past decade, SUVs have been the second largest source of CO2 emissions growth, after the energy sector, but before heavy industry (steel, cement, etc.). .), heavy goods vehicles or aviation.

More than 200 million SUVs circulate around the world today, compared to 35 million in 2010.

Often heavier and less aerodynamic, these vehicles consume a quarter more energy compared to a medium-sized car, says the report.

I will not like to see the extinction of the human race. But the disappearance of the earth’s surface of 200 million SUV owners, will not prevent me from sleeping.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom