Red dead Redemption / up 4 pre-order

I take it you've tried turning aim assist off? Used to be a thing with the original Red Dead...and GTAV if I remember rightly.

I will try that...tx

...but, I know a few months after I've done it, Rockstar will announce the PC version...you just know that's going to happen [rolleyes]
Is this a problem? I have various titles, which have a PC versions on my PS4: Hollow Knight, OKAMI (which came to PC after eleven years), Yakuza series (after three years), GTA V (after two years), the Tomb Raider reboot trilogy, The Witcher 3 GOTY, just to name a few.

OTOH I have Elite Dangerous: Horizons, No Mans Sky, Rebel Galaxy, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, XCOM 2, F1 2016, DiRT Rally and various other multi-platform titles on my PC.

Stuff getting ported to another platform doesn't make my experience worse - it happens all the time. I usually go with what is most convenient. For example modern age GTA and Witcher were some of the first examples of games with a large (50 GBish) install size, so I got them on Bluray. (PC games printed on Bluray sadly don't exist, XCOM: EU came on 4 DVD9s) And of course with RDR II setting a new record there, the choice made itself. For controller-focused games like Tomb Raider, the platform choice is obvious as well. Controller support on PC was never the greatest (and is still stuck in the X360 era) - things improved with SteamInput, but game developers have yet to catch up.

Then there are multi-player games, (simulation) games best working with PC peripherals and games with great mods, that naturally end up on my PC.

The recently often advertised reason of having "ultra" graphics options don't play any role in my decision-making. The GPU in my PC is almost as old as the PS4 platform itself, so for me the console editions look and run much better. (Usually with a late-gen upgrade, my PC catches up, then loses against the next gen.) I grew up with QVGA titles featuring 16 or 256 colors, so this isn't really a priority for me. Of course I still enjoy the impressive CGI of an Uncharted or Detroit - games for which I chose the PS4 over an Xbox (beside the price).

At the end of the day, I see more games getting ported than in the past. So all we end up with is having more choice. Twenty years ago, most developers were locked to one platform (mostly for financial reasons) and ports were either bad or provided an entirely different experience and had only the name in common. Nowadays we have options and that is great.

Is this a problem? I have various titles, which have a PC versions on my PS4: Hollow Knight, OKAMI (which came to PC after eleven years), Yakuza series (after three years), GTA V (after two years), the Tomb Raider reboot trilogy, The Witcher 3 GOTY, just to name a few.

OTOH I have Elite Dangerous: Horizons, No Mans Sky, Rebel Galaxy, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, XCOM 2, F1 2016, DiRT Rally and various other multi-platform titles on my PC.

Stuff getting ported to another platform doesn't make my experience worse - it happens all the time. I usually go with what is most convenient. For example modern age GTA and Witcher were some of the first examples of games with a large (50 GBish) install size, so I got them on Bluray. (PC games printed on Bluray sadly don't exist, XCOM: EU came on 4 DVD9s) And of course with RDR II setting a new record there, the choice made itself. For controller-focused games like Tomb Raider, the platform choice is obvious as well. Controller support on PC was never the greatest (and is still stuck in the X360 era) - things improved with SteamInput, but game developers have yet to catch up.

Then there are multi-player games, (simulation) games best working with PC peripherals and games with great mods, that naturally end up on my PC.

The recently often advertised reason of having "ultra" graphics options don't play any role in my decision-making. The GPU in my PC is almost as old as the PS4 platform itself, so for me the console editions look and run much better. (Usually with a late-gen upgrade, my PC catches up, then loses against the next gen.) I grew up with QVGA titles featuring 16 or 256 colors, so this isn't really a priority for me. Of course I still enjoy the impressive CGI of an Uncharted or Detroit - games for which I chose the PS4 over an Xbox (beside the price).

At the end of the day, I see more games getting ported than in the past. So all we end up with is having more choice. Twenty years ago, most developers were locked to one platform (mostly for financial reasons) and ports were either bad or provided an entirely different experience and had only the name in common. Nowadays we have options and that is great.

Not an issue at all. I bought the original red dead several times over both for the 360 and the Xbone. I've bought the Witcher 3 twice, once on Xbone and again on PC...same with the Metro 2033 series, first on 360 then Xbone and finally PC. Others include E-D, GR wildlands, The Division, R6 Siege, Battlefields one, 3 and 4, Fallout 3 and 4, Project cars, GTA V, both Tomb raider reboots and lastly added Shadow to complete the trilogy...many others.

I reckon I've replaced my entire Xbone game library on PC over these last 2 years to be fair... but I came back to PC for IL2 [yesnod]

I have no objections to buying game titles across multiple platforms if I've had fun playing them :)

Last edited:

verminstar

Banned
So after some initial feet dragging on my part, Ive just bought the oneX enhanced version and am looking at an 88gb download...thatll take about an hour at least so time to walk the dogs.

I never played the first RDR, not extensively anyway...other games had my full attention at the time but it was always on my bucket list. My daughter had RDR2 since last week and hasnt played nor even looked at anything else since, so shes the one who is calling it saying Ill be the same...based on how hard I played GTA5 when it was first released.

Today is one of those days Im glad I turned my back on pc and embraced consoles only...from what Ive seen on my daughters ps4 slim, and the screenshots of the oneX enhanced version...I demand ye take my money and whats left of my miserable life rockstar.

I was stuck on an impossible trio of games...Forza Horizons 4, NMS and Elite. Elite is a buggy mess on consoles, FH4 well Ive done everything there is to do and all Im left with is beating my best times and NMS is fun in short bursts but between the 3...Ive sworn not to touch elite till its fixed, FH4 Im growing bored with and NMS is, as always, the backup plan if all else fails.

Really I just bought the game to shut my daughter up cos shes been pestering me somethin hectic to get it...sick of listening to the wee brat ^

So after some initial feet dragging on my part, Ive just bought the oneX enhanced version and am looking at an 88gb download...thatll take about an hour at least so time to walk the dogs.

I never played the first RDR, not extensively anyway...other games had my full attention at the time but it was always on my bucket list. My daughter had RDR2 since last week and hasnt played nor even looked at anything else since, so shes the one who is calling it saying Ill be the same...based on how hard I played GTA5 when it was first released.

Today is one of those days Im glad I turned my back on pc and embraced consoles only...from what Ive seen on my daughters ps4 slim, and the screenshots of the oneX enhanced version...I demand ye take my money and whats left of my miserable life rockstar.

I was stuck on an impossible trio of games...Forza Horizons 4, NMS and Elite. Elite is a buggy mess on consoles, FH4 well Ive done everything there is to do and all Im left with is beating my best times and NMS is fun in short bursts but between the 3...Ive sworn not to touch elite till its fixed, FH4 Im growing bored with and NMS is, as always, the backup plan if all else fails.

Really I just bought the game to shut my daughter up cos shes been pestering me somethin hectic to get it...sick of listening to the wee brat ^

I fired it up for the first time last night for a few hours and its very immersive and amazing, at times its like your playing a movie. My only complaint is the controls are super clunky and awkward sometimes but as I get familiar I'm sure it won't be as bad. will over come that some. Fantastic voice acting and I really like the characters.

Oh man, I'm so sold on this. I've gotten to a point where RDR2 doesn't even feel like a game anymore. I'm taking care of my horse, it's a work horse with lots of stamina and health.
I was up exploring the cold north, entering abandoned shacks looking for neat stuff, and canned food. I shot a wolf one night. The morning after I saw another wolf sniffing on the dead wolf, like the wolf either knew it or wanted to eat it. I also saw a pack of wolves trying to kill a bear but gave up and ran off.

This game is almost alive. It's absolutely incredible.

It's a magnificent game!

Its not that gory, as some would suggest, plus you can turn off 'kill effects' in the settings. So its a non issue.

Haha; I was thinking earlier while skinning yet another animal that was on the ground dying in pain, that it isn't very vegan friendly (visually). I had no idea you could turn that stuff off and seems odd it isn't made more obvious; not that it particularly bothers me (they aren't real).

No doubt someone will get offended by AI dear being slaughtered and it will end up all over the news and end up promoting the game :D

verminstar

Banned
Started at 7pm...its now half 4 in the morning...think its fair to say this is one helluva game and Ive barely scratched the surface. And the graphics...absolutely top notch, this is the new benchmark fer consoles ^

Started at 7pm...its now half 4 in the morning...think its fair to say this is one helluva game and Ive barely scratched the surface. And the graphics...absolutely top notch, this is the new benchmark fer consoles ^

Agree. RDR2 just swallows you.
Frankly, with a PC release coming up in a year, this and the new Metro will definitively be the new benchmark for not only consoles but for PC too. Even the enhanced consoles struggles to lock 30 fps.

Haha; I was thinking earlier while skinning yet another animal that was on the ground dying in pain, that it isn't very vegan friendly (visually). I had no idea you could turn that stuff off and seems odd it isn't made more obvious; not that it particularly bothers me (they aren't real).

No doubt someone will get offended by AI dear being slaughtered and it will end up all over the news and end up promoting the game :D

I actually felt remorse when Arthur stuck his knife into the belly of the first deer I shot. But I'm a very sensitive person when it comes to animals. Not a vegan though or something.
However, I shot an old lady in the head with an arrow yesterday just to shut her up. Didn't feel a thing. :D Progress!

well, I am resolving my Elite controller issues..2 things helped I will sort it down when I am rested.
short answer On aiming with a bow, i turned aim sensitivity to about 1/4.

Interacting with LT at start discussion, just wasn't working at all- So I moved triggers off of Hair trigger setting, and now it works as expected.

Some shots...

30770297607_7c57748b2d_h.jpg

43893076630_a256777d80_h.jpg

30770284287_85ef56a8c2_h.jpg

45710751531_3ffd1f4996_h.jpg

31838758838_ddd87ab473_h.jpg

44796649825_bacd82baf9_h.jpg

44796645385_f2e920b844_h.jpg

Some shots...

Good heavens....

I cancelled my order of the X one and RDR2...just plain needed those tyres. I just kept telling myself "It's only a game...It's only a game.."

After 10 minutes of chanting, I started to sound a bit like Dorothy in wizard of Oz..."There's no place like home..." [sad]

Last edited:
Good heavens....

I cancelled my order of the X one and RDR2...just plain needed those tyres. I just kept telling myself "It's only a game...It's only a game.."

After 10 minutes of chanting, I started to sound a bit like Dorothy in wizard of Oz..."There's no place like home..." [sad]

It's only a game until you play it. ;) :D

BTW the X is the better choice if you're only interested in RDR2.

Well...if my Harley sells (reason for the tyres), I'll still be getting the one X and RDR2. Wrong time of year to be selling Harleys, but I'm ever hopeful that all my fine engineering work is appreciated by someone enough to fork out the 8.5K asking price :D

I hear you. I bought a bike this summer. Money I could've spent on a new gaming rig. But I figured my PS4 Pro still had a few years to go so I'm currently a console player until I can afford a new PC.

There was an old guy fishing, his camp was there too, plus a nice big working type horse.. He was doing no harm to anyone. :(

What can I say, I feel bad, but I took him out with an arrow and got the lot. Now I feel very bad, the game just gives you something, only a few games manage to do, that feeling of morality. I shouldn't have done it, even though I was down on my luck a little.

I recommend to anyone playing or going to play. Make an early save point, one where your happy to go back, should you want/need too.
Put that save point to one side and leave it there, until needed. [yesnod]

I hear you. I bought a bike this summer. Money I could've spent on a new gaming rig. But I figured my PS4 Pro still had a few years to go so I'm currently a console player until I can afford a new PC.

As much as I'm happy switching from consoles to PC, PC gaming is getting ridiculously expensive - we do get performance upgrades, but the bang for buck is stagnant. Would I switch right now? Probably not.

Enjoy RDR2, and indeed it is a good plan to sit out what happens by the next console generation.

I was galloping through light forest in the moonlight. I rode my horse head first into a tree. One of the most sickening sounds I heard in my entire life. My buck I had hunted earlier fell off the back as did I. I thought the horse was dead because he was crumbled on the ground against the tree... I vowed to never do this again.

I love this game.

PS: Horse came to after about twenty seconds and regained his feet. I named him Flet. I care about my digital horse now.

Top Bottom