Red dead Redemption / up 4 pre-order

I hope the rest of the industry takes a deep breath and looks at RDR 2 to pin down why this game is such a masterpiece. We could use more of those games.

Well...if my Harley sells (reason for the tyres), I'll still be getting the one X and RDR2. Wrong time of year to be selling Harleys, but I'm ever hopeful that all my fine engineering work is appreciated by someone enough to fork out the 8.5K asking price :D

That's a real horse You got there, nice

verminstar

Banned
There was an old guy fishing, his camp was there too, plus a nice big working type horse.. He was doing no harm to anyone. :(

What can I say, I feel bad, but I took him out with an arrow and got the lot. Now I feel very bad, the game just gives you something, only a few games manage to do, that feeling of morality. I shouldn't have done it, even though I was down on my luck a little.

I recommend to anyone playing or going to play. Make an early save point, one where your happy to go back, should you want/need too.
Put that save point to one side and leave it there, until needed. [yesnod]

A typical encounter fer me happened last night...a mexican gunslinger challenged me to a duel which I accepted. He fired at the bottles fer some odd reason while I put my first bullet through his right earlobe, then robbed him. Then attempted to drag the body into the road to see if an npc wagon could inflict further fun effects.

Oh and another tip...dont try galloping in a river with a trussed up bounty on the back seat. Mine bounced off and drowned after I tried robbing a stranger and things went a bit pete tong somewhere.

Mole yer missing out on a brilliant game m8...its not merely good on a oneX, it really is the closest Ive seen a console game get to high end pc performance. Ill post some pics fer ye if this becomes the RDR2 thread.

Lost an entire morning and half the afternoon to just hunting...hard to make progress cos I got a bounty on my head almost permanently cos Im sick and twisted and doin good deeds doesnt feel right. Ive already decided to kill Dutch and take lead of the gang literally with seconds of meeting the guy.

Thats how quickly the game pulls ye in...goodbye life ^

'Then attempted to drag the body into the road to see if an npc wagon could inflict further fun effects.'

Superb!
Laughing so hard I think I've ruptured something.[up]:D

A typical encounter fer me happened last night...a mexican gunslinger challenged me to a duel which I accepted. He fired at the bottles fer some odd reason while I put my first bullet through his right earlobe, then robbed him. Then attempted to drag the body into the road to see if an npc wagon could inflict further fun effects.

Oh and another tip...dont try galloping in a river with a trussed up bounty on the back seat. Mine bounced off and drowned after I tried robbing a stranger and things went a bit pete tong somewhere.

Mole yer missing out on a brilliant game m8...its not merely good on a oneX, it really is the closest Ive seen a console game get to high end pc performance. Ill post some pics fer ye if this becomes the RDR2 thread.

Lost an entire morning and half the afternoon to just hunting...hard to make progress cos I got a bounty on my head almost permanently cos Im sick and twisted and doin good deeds doesnt feel right. Ive already decided to kill Dutch and take lead of the gang literally with seconds of meeting the guy.

I passed a couple of guys in a camp, one of them was shouting for me to move on, that I had no place there. Just plain nasty. Now they're the type I don't mind killing, did what I did before rode up a little, went back on foot, used the bow & arrow and took the first one out and thought, I better be quick to get the second one, but he just ran off shouting something. The crime was reported a short time later, but the map only went red in a small diameter area where it took place, must be that the other guy didn't notice me.
I'm glad, getting a bounty on your head can be expensive. Especially when you haven't got much money..

Stealthy kills get less notice, and no bounty, although that would be pretty obvious I suppose. ;)
So I'm 'Snake' now.

Quick edit: you can take pics in game with the camera, but where do those go, is it stored on the console ?

You can use the camera to take snapshots but honestly, the first person view is generally better at that.
If you do however use the camera the pics are stored on your Social Club account.

So a question to people further into the game than me, what is a good point to do story missions to unlock all the basic stuff before you dig off into the open world? I started to do my own thing after getting to the town of Valentine but then realized I hadn't unlocked the ability to use stables etc. Now I'm not really sure how much of the basics are gated behind story missions / introductions.

I've done some digging on the ole google but haven't found anything to helpful, and want to avoid spoilers if possible. Any help is appreciated.

I've been living the game via YouTube (Typical Gamer's streams). I know exactly what I'm missing out on [sad]

But selling the Harley I need to do... hell, I've got another one and 2 other bikes to boot... but I don't have the readies to buy both a set of tyres and a One X... sad as that is.

As for Red Dead shenanigans...in the original, Armadillo football was a thing, same with tying up one of the 'working girls' and placing her on the train tracks Penelope Pitstop style....there was even a ' Dastardly' Xbox achievement just for that one [haha]

Another one was pushing hapless customers down the stairs in the saloon in Armadildo...or kicking folks through shop windows in Blackwater. Not to mention the poor preacher outside of the saloon, I took it upon myself to lasso him and leave him hogtied in the middle of the street every time I went to Armadillo...or even head shooting someone's horse when they were galloping, quite spectacular. Horse tipping was a thing too...just walk up to the side of someone's horse and give it a hefty shove..

My favourite was pushing folks off the cliffs though, I spent way too much time hog tying random NPC's and dragging them off to the nearest cliff edge [where is it]

Coop multiplayer in Red Dead was simply the best multiplayer experience I've ever had. My wife and I spent 1000's of hours just playing coop or doing the achievement thing, picking flowers, collecting furs, raiding gang hideouts or our favourite... killing a bear with a knife...usually to my ultimate death since I acted as bear bait...annoying the bear till it chased me whilst my wife chased the bear slashing at it with a bowie knife. It took us nearly a week to do that one since it usually descended into a keystone cops farce with us both laughing so hard we couldn't see through the tears... the cougars were a lot worse, I began to hate those things with a vengeance.

Awesome game the first one :)

I've no doubt I'll find some other random violence to incur in RDR2 when I get it [yesnod]

Last edited:
You can use the camera to take snapshots but honestly, the first person view is generally better at that.
If you do however use the camera the pics are stored on your Social Club account.

What do you use for console to take pics ?
On pc I use either the ms (f10) or Bandicam. But not sure how to do that with a console..

On pc I use either the ms (f10) or Bandicam. But not sure how to do that with a console..

On Xbox it's exactly the same as the Xbox DVR suite we have on Win 10...all voice controlled too, or it used to be on the Xbone when I played. "Xbox..Take a screenshot." or "Xbox...Record that." for a video clip of the last 1-10 mins of play.

There's also controller shortcuts but I can't for the life of me remember what they are....something to do with the big button in the middle.

On Pro, there's a share button left of the touch pad. You can set that button to take a screenshot. You can also use it to record movies.

Finally decided to hunt for the satchel pelts. Took me half an ingame day to get to valentine for the night. Brushed the horse and fed it, took a bath and rented a room. Made sure I had the correct clothes with me, anticipated a cold day up in the mountains. Decided to get something good to eat for the evening at the saloon, got 2 beers and went to bed. The next morning my trip into the cold continued as I was searching for perfect elk pelts. I headed up north to the snowy area and began seaching. 2 dead bandits and some searching later I finally got it. Made my trip back to valentine and booked the room again for the night.

A friend had the perfect description for this game: Its THE SIMs for men. And I love it.

verminstar

Banned
On Xbox it's exactly the same as the Xbox DVR suite we have on Win 10...all voice controlled too, or it used to be on the Xbone when I played. "Xbox..Take a screenshot." or "Xbox...Record that." for a video clip of the last 1-10 mins of play.

There's also controller shortcuts but I can't for the life of me remember what they are....something to do with the big button in the middle.

In game, press the big glowing light in the middle of the joypad, then it gives ye the option to screenshot or make a recording of the last 30 seconds gameplay. Or just talk to it if ye have it programmed in and tell it to take a screenshot. Or, if yer using a chatpad, pics are hotkeyed to the X1 button on the bottom left beside the space bar.

Course, thats the easy part...its posting those pics to anywhere else non xbox where the real fun starts which is why its good to have DVR set in yer browser cos yer gonna be needing that after ye upload yer pics. Go to yer own screenshots, then scroll down to the download option and use that to get the link fer the shot and then insert that someplace else using copy/paste. I find using a laptop or the phone the easiest as I aint figured out how to with just the xbone...just the xbone is fine fer posting to anywhere within the xb community...

It just sounds confusing, really...Im as thick as champ so if I can figure it out, then ye will too...eventually ^

Finally decided to hunt for the satchel pelts. Took me half an ingame day to get to valentine for the night. Brushed the horse and fed it, took a bath and rented a room. Made sure I had the correct clothes with me, anticipated a cold day up in the mountains. Decided to get something good to eat for the evening at the saloon, got 2 beers and went to bed. The next morning my trip into the cold continued as I was searching for perfect elk pelts. I headed up north to the snowy area and began seaching. 2 dead bandits and some searching later I finally got it. Made my trip back to valentine and booked the room again for the night.

A friend had the perfect description for this game: Its THE SIMs for men. And I love it.

I decided to explore the north again as I love snowy environments. So I took my trusty Shire, the black work horse that you get in chapter 2, renamed him to Max, bought a bunch of supplies and just left everyone. I found some really cool places, climbed mountains, saw the glacier, hunted grizzly bears, slept in abandoned huts and shacks.
I was living a solitary life up there. And I absolutely loved every second of it.
Edit: I also found Jenny's grave.

When I got back, I went to Saint Denis to find some new stuff to buy but felt so stressed out by all the people that I returned to the north again.

In many ways, this is the ultimate RPG.

Last edited:
I hope the rest of the industry takes a deep breath and looks at RDR 2 to pin down why this game is such a masterpiece. We could use more of those games.

No chance, R* outclasses all peers since GTA3 by a huge margin. The quality, gameplay and other improvements are so consistent, that they are pretty much the only developer I would preorder any game from (apart of an Elite expansion).

I'll have a look into those screenshots now I have something to work from, thanks all.

Now I went over and up into New Hanover, and up Annesburg way. Now its pretty bleak up there, certainly in the weather I had. It all got a little weird, first I found 'Doverhill' a sort of Tesla does electric type plant, or something. Couldn't get in the building, but there is an interior, so if anyone knows how to enter, let me know. I shot a window out but couldn't get through the frame. Tried lassoing the light fitting to see if I could get on the roof, but it didn't work either. Used my axe on the frame and got it stuck.. Anyway, I want to get in somehow, looks very interesting.

Found a cabin that had been hit by a meteorite, the two or maybe three guys in there were in bits (I don't mean upset), and I mean 'in bits'... So not sure if there were two or three of them. Lots of body parts laying around. Anyway got a bit of meteor rock, which didn't fetch as much as I thought it should.. :(

Found another cabin with money under a floorboard. A shack with a treasure map up the chimney. Went and found the spot that was on the map and got some gold, very nice. Then around the Elysian pool watched three guys in a boat, putting the corpses of folk they had murdered into the pool, tip don't drink from that pool..
Anyway they won't be doing anymore of that, they joined 'the pool' club..

Opened a shack door and got greeted by a grizzly inside, earlier in the day. Used the sawn-off. I couldn't skin the bear, can you skin them, maybe it was because it lay indoors, not sure. Couldn't get around to hit the prompt.. Mind you, it would have been full of holes anyway.

Its very errie up around that Elysian pool area, there is a nearby, IIRC 'Butchers Crick', don't mess with the locals, so I moved on. Over into Annesburg and the mining town there, not friendly..
Then I worked my way down to Van Horn where I stayed the night at the very upmarket (not) hotel.. The fence there is pretty good on prices, sold a lot of what I had got and became reasonably well off, well almost. The town is dying, no that's wrong.. its dead..

The incredible scenic views of these places, whether dark and miserable, errie/sinister or beautiful, is captured greatly in this game. Really believe your there. Or indeed, don't want to be there (in a good way though)..

I took a side mission for a travelling novelty act (pinhead, dwarf and girl). Then got half the box office takings from their next show in Saint Denis, so not bad. Bit of a weird mission though. Still it got me some more money. I'm not making thousands, but I'm comfy to travel around and that is all I want really.
Not bothered with the gang yet, been away a while now.

Few side things, like women stuck under horses etc. But its all fun..
I'm going back up, as there are a couple of places on the map I need to open up. I'm checking as many places as I find.

Killed and skinned an alligator, maybe crocodile, not sure. Anyway a few handbags, no doubt.. Not worth a great deal, but still. Horse went nuts and threw me off. That sawn-off is a god send..

Last edited:
Seemingly, RDR2 broke sales records by netting $725 million in the first 3 days after release.

...Hence all the retail outlets have added over 100 quid to bundles including RDR2...Amazon prices for the bundle went up from £399 to £504 over the weekend.

Retail capitalism at it's finest...so I'm out till Black Friday or the boxing day sales.... [rolleyes]

Edit: I just discovered I had 150 quid sitting in my Paypal account that I didn't know about...and I found an X One X bundle with RDR2, Forza 7 and Forza Horizons 4 on Fleabay for £399...so that's now on it's way via the Post Office special Delivery...which is the fastest way to get anything delivered on this island since parcel courier service stops at Inverness. It should be here Thursday...

Happy Teddy [yesnod]

Last edited:
Seemingly, RDR2 broke sales records by netting $725 million in the first 3 days after release.

...Hence all the retail outlets have added over 100 quid to bundles including RDR2...Amazon prices for the bundle went up from £399 to £504 over the weekend.

Retail capitalism at it's finest...so I'm out till Black Friday or the boxing day sales.... [rolleyes]

Edit: I just discovered I had 150 quid sitting in my Paypal account that I didn't know about...and I found an X One X bundle with RDR2, Forza 7 and Forza Horizons 4 on Fleabay for £399...so that's now on it's way via the Post Office special Delivery...which is the fastest way to get anything delivered on this island.

Happy Teddy [yesnod]

I had a similar package at a big german retailer (Saturn) last week . It was 449 € with both Forzas and a free game to choose.

Now go grab your hat and oil your revolver. :)

Top Bottom