Red dead Redemption / up 4 pre-order

Jim Sterling has very gloating review - this is remembering he was very critical about crunch company proudly presented as PR - but he also pointed out that many of things are pointless, that it has too much of 'real life' feel which doesn't serve game (infamous horse balls for example). Still he said there's about 100 hours to play in a game easily, and it all feels...true. So Rockstar has outdone themselves, but it is right to question human cost there.

Still, can't take away what a achievement it is. I never cared about GTAV, it looked good, but story was meh. However this looks...'authentic'. It has this solid feel. Human feel. It feels really like proper window to bygone era.

I will say however lightning and visual flare of the game looks something truly next gen - jaw dropping beautiful. Graphics engine and environmental designers deserve standing ovation here.

Definitely game of the year. Can't see anyone beating this.

Last edited:
Was the pre order bonus worth it? I was wary of this game until I seen the GTA IV type reviews last night and now Fortnite is finally losing ground as the # 1 broadcast game.

The cost of being best in business.. :(

that's not the cost of being best in business, that's the cost of bad management, which is a direct consequence of the industry rewarding political and social skills more than creative, art and crafting skills, which makes selfish idiots bubble to the top in the decision chain.

that's not the cost of being best in business, that's the cost of bad management, which is a direct consequence of the industry rewarding political and social skills more than creative, art and crafting skills, which makes selfish idiots bubble to the top in the decision chain.

Apparently, many developers are saying it is a big and an unfortunate part of the gaming industry to work inhumane working hours, with not enough salary to even justify it. It's just sad that we don't really know the effort behind these huge titles.

Anyways....

Here's a screenie. :D

45569726871_65387db81d_h.jpg

Played the original due to all the hype, didn't really enjoy it.

Sure it was a big world, but it was mostly endless and boring riding around, and the missions/encounters seemed rather derivate and weren't that engaging or fun.

Gave up after an awful mission where I had to follow a dog round a village as it barked at things, just couldn't take any more.

Sorry not adding much to the thread, just felt the need to moan a bit to counter the inevitable overdone hype for RDR2.

Last edited:
Played the original due to all the hype, didn't really enjoy it.

Sure it was a big world, but it was mostly endless and boring riding around, and the missions/encounters seemed rather derivate and weren't that engaging or fun.

Gave up after an awful mission where I had to follow a dog round a village as it barked at things, just couldn't take any more.

Sorry not adding much to the thread, just felt the need to moan a bit to counter the inevitable overdone hype for RDR2.

That mission was one of the very first ones...about 10 minutes into the game.

I think you played about 0.5% of the game before giving it a raspberry...don't go doing any Steam reviews on other stuff you haven't really played will you? ;)

I imagine that there work schedules being so bad is blown way out of proportion by a few whiny underlings. It's funny how the biggest, best, most critically acclaimed and commercially successful games have that "crunch" in common. Some people such as myself who actually work difficult and dangerous jobs in the real world where a 60 hour week is a short one would be tempted to call it "work ethic." It's not like we're hearing about crummy wages and barbaric working conditions, either.

Most great accomplishments require a longer work week and more stress, and I would advise people who like a great product to shut their traps and enjoy the experience they're paying for, because this PC baloney (such as another made up controversy recently ignited by activists around GOG) has the power to destroy the production of the great games, such as Rockstar's & CDProject Red's, if those companies have to put the tender feelies of their employees in front of a formula that is proven to work.

Last edited:
I imagine that there work schedules being so bad is blown way out of proportion by a few whiny underlings. It's funny how the biggest, best, most critically acclaimed and commercially successful games have that "crunch" in common. Some people such as myself who actually work difficult and dangerous jobs in the real world where a 60 hour week is a short one would be tempted to call it "work ethic." It's not like we're hearing about crummy wages and barbaric working conditions, either.

Most great accomplishments require a longer work week and more stress, and I would advise people who like a great product to shut their traps and enjoy the experience they're paying for, because this PC baloney (such as another made up controversy recently ignited by activists around GOG) has the power to destroy the production of the great games, such as Rockstar's & CDProject Red's, if those companies have to put the tender feelies of their employees in front of a formula that is proven to work.

Agreed.
I got a good chuckle reading that article.

So, a couple of minor flaws about RDR2...

In tight areas like in train carts or in smaller houses, the controls are affected negatively because of the cinematic animations which makes Arthur quite clumsy.
On PS4 Pro, at 1920x2160p, the depth of field, which is tied to resolution, makes the image blurry on the horizonal axis.
Controls are so complex the game does have a fairly steep learning curve, at least for someone who hasn't played any R* game in ages.
The parallax occlusion maps are slightly warped like in Witcher 3. As you move slowly you can almost see a secondary texture floating above the ground texture. This is however perhaps due to the slower hardware on the Pro compared to the X.

But damn, it's gorgeous!!
45527061372_b86d0ae850_h.jpg

Such a stupid shame this isn't on PC. I'm naive to the tech industry but I find it hard to understand why they would sideline a while section of potential buyers on PC.

I'm so indecisive when it comes to consoles, having not had one for many years now, I'm basically a pc game player. But I kept looking at RD2 and said to the wife, it is such a shame it's not on pc, or I'd be playing it right now.
I think she got fed up of me saying I'd be playing the game if I could only decide on the console. Well she made the decision and told me today she'd ordered the PS4 Pro online and it will arrive Monday, complete with RD2 bundle... Decision made.. I'm very happy now.. ;)

Top Bottom