Red dead Redemption / up 4 pre-order

I'm so indecisive when it comes to consoles, having not had one for many years now, I'm basically a pc game player. But I kept looking at RD2 and said to the wife, it is such a shame it's not on pc, or I'd be playing it right now.
I think she got fed up of me saying I'd be playing the game if I could only decide on the console. Well she made the decision and told me today she'd ordered the PS4 Pro online and it will arrive Monday, complete with RD2 bundle... Decision made.. I'm very happy now.. ;)

If my wife did that for me I'd be calling the government to come and take away the alien that's replaced my wife :)

I'm so indecisive when it comes to consoles, having not had one for many years now, I'm basically a pc game player. But I kept looking at RD2 and said to the wife, it is such a shame it's not on pc, or I'd be playing it right now.
I think she got fed up of me saying I'd be playing the game if I could only decide on the console. Well she made the decision and told me today she'd ordered the PS4 Pro online and it will arrive Monday, complete with RD2 bundle... Decision made.. I'm very happy now.. ;)

Congrats to a very good buy. Be sure to get The Last of Us Remastered too, because the sequel will be released next year.
I was also very sceptic to consoles but they are convenient and many exclusives are too good to miss out on.

Such a stupid shame this isn't on PC. I'm naive to the tech industry but I find it hard to understand why they would sideline a while section of potential buyers on PC.
Because these potential buyers are a small minority of the whole PC audience and measure about 1.3 million players according to https://medium.com/steam-spy/your-target-audience-doesn-t-exist-999b78aa77ae

Then you go for the fraction, who cares for a single player western setting, owns a high-end PC (on par with Xbox One X*) with a proper Xinput controller and you might end up with a few hundred thousand sales on day one in a best-case scenario. The long tail including later Steam sales don't really matter for investors.

Compare that to the potential audience of over 80 million PS4 systems and over 100 million systems for PS4 and XB combined. Of course, there only a fraction cares for a western setting either, but passing the million sales mark shouldn't be too hard with hard marketing. And Rockstar has an insane marketing push. The PS4 section of my local electronics store was completely redesigned with RDR2 theme. And this shows another issue: PC gamers don't really visit these stores anymore, so this kind of marketing doesn't reach them.

*) considering the overhead caused by Windows a PC needs 2-3 times of the raw hardware power to catch up.

Congrats to a very good buy. Be sure to get The Last of Us Remastered too, because the sequel will be released next year.
I was also very sceptic to consoles but they are convenient and many exclusives are too good to miss out on.

Yes, I will have a look at some other titles, its been a long time for console play and getting used to a controller again, should get me dead quite often... ;)

The last console I had was the original xbox and I only got that to get OFPElite to see what the console version was like compared to the original pc version of OFP.
I still have the console, ended up using it to store music on, its in a cupboard somewhere here now.

I would add to that, I bought the original Playstation in the mid 90's for my son. I was so impressed I bought another a few weeks later and we set up F1 and Doom, linked with 2tv's running back to back, had hours of fun with that.

Last edited:
Yes, I will have a look at some other titles, its been a long time for console play and getting used to a controller again, should get me dead quite often... ;)

The last console I had was the original xbox and I only got that to get OFPElite to see what the console version was like compared to the original pc version of OFP.
I still have the console, ended up using it to store music on, its in a cupboard somewhere here now.

I would add to that, I bought the original Playstation in the mid 90's for my son. I was so impressed I bought another a few weeks later and we set up F1 and Doom, linked with 2tv's running back to back, had hours of fun with that.

I am a gamer at heart and don't really care about which platform I play on. I have around 10 consoles (including a C64) and an old pc to play on and will not get rid of any of the platforms.
The biggest issue with PS4 is the controller, my thumb will hurt after a few hours of game time. The Xbox controllers are the best ever made with the analogue left stick set in a very ergonomic position.

On topic.

RDR2 has a strange sense of realism. Last night I was hunting deer and hunting in RDR2 is not for those with weak stomaches. I shot a deer with an arrow but the arrow didn't kill it. It was laying on the ground wriggling in agony, and with a simple push of a button, Arthur took his knife and shoved it in the deer's stomach. The whole thing felt real and I know I felt bad for the deer somehow.

Last edited:
I am a gamer at heart and don't really care about which platform I play on. I have around 10 consoles (including a C64) and an old pc to play on and will not get rid of any of the platforms.
The biggest issue with PS4 is the controller, my thumb will hurt after a few hours of game time. The Xbox controllers are the best ever made with the analogue left stick set in a very ergonomic position.

On topic.

RDR2 has a strange sense of realism. Last night I was hunting deer and hunting in RDR2 is not for those with weak stomaches. I shot a deer with an arrow but the arrow didn't kill it. It was laying on the ground wriggling in agony, and with a simple push of a button, Arthur took his knife and shoved it in the deer's stomach. The whole thing felt real and I know I felt bad for the deer somehow.

Yeah, I went through all the earlier ones, atari pong, the 2600, c64 and so on. But when I got into pc gaming, which was pretty early on, well that sort of opened up my gaming into more than just gaming. Back then gaming for pc, was almost like a partnership between the dev and player. Games were so moddable back then and also just changeable without much in the way of a mod needed, if you like. That gaming became a hobby as such, not just picking up a controller and playing.

That said, I'm looking forward to just picking up the controller and playing again, will be a nice change, I don't want to be thinking to myself, 'can I change this in some way'. I don't think I'll get that from a console as much, which is a very good thing. I can just play.

It looks and sounds really good RD2, I have been watching a few vids, not many, as I don't want to spoil it too much. The 'open play' is what I'm really looking forward too, but I will do the story too. Its been a long time since I have done a storyline in a game. Not one that wasn't my own, that is.
Playing more or less all sim/sandbox type games, makes you invest your own storylines into whichever game your playing. I can do that too in RD2, in open play.

Last edited:

Yesterday I watched some demonstration play trough with hunting and skinning fox. Streamer blacked out action because he felt it is too gory and horrifying for PG-13 audiences YouTube usually aim for.

After watching a few lengthy videos, I'm seriously regretting giving my Xbox away last year. I was just thinking the few hundred quid I've just spent on PC hardware bits could have gone toward an X one X and a copy of RDR2 [sad]

Damn you R* for this red dead denial for PC...I still miss playing the first one.

Hype period over yet?

Seeing a few people complain about grind and chores dragging it down a bit.

Talk of clunky controls and frustrating pacing?

I'm always suspicious of games that get so hyped, no doubt social media marketing companies has been out there doing their thing, also people can get a bit carried away at times.

Last edited:
Its a bloody masterpiece!, so immersive.

I cant get over how quiet my Ps4 is, considering how amazing the graphics are, other games have the fans screaming, but with this one it just purrs along.

Last edited:
After watching a few lengthy videos, I'm seriously regretting giving my Xbox away last year. I was just thinking the few hundred quid I've just spent on PC hardware bits could have gone toward an X one X and a copy of RDR2 [sad]
I haven't spent much on my PC since 2014 and it turned out being the right choice.

I'm always suspicious of games that get so hyped, no doubt social media marketing companies has been out there doing their thing, also people can get a bit carried away at times.
This game has obviously the strongest marketing campaign I ever saw. I can tell, that especially "game journalists" got completely carried away. It's also showing that review ratings are really a complete joke.

I have two Bluray discs here and if I find out I don't like it anymore after a few weeks (or 15 to 25 hours of playtime), I'm selling them and play RDR1 again (which I like). That's the beauty of physical games - no two hours limit or anything like that.

I will say two things - it is impressive game, it looks beautiful and I can only sing praises about developers.

However I most likely never play it. Not my thing really.

Many other reasons played in but I just took the plunge on a 4k hdr 55" tv, xbox one x with a rdr2 bundle (100 dollars off right now). I havnt played a good single player in awhile and remembering my time with red dead on 360 was to much to resist holding off on 2.

If I can capture the magic of "The Unforgiven" saloon shoot out scene one more time itll all be worth it (One of my fav movies).

I liked how the first one had a color / saturation slider and could almost make the game look like any western movie you ever watched, a nice little addition.

The first was just one of those games for me where even after I finished the main story, I just existed in the world for a few hundred hours making up my own story's and scenarios and context. A wild west sandbox which was a nice change of pace. I'm so excited to just kick back and get sucked back into this world.

Last edited:
I would dearly love to play RD2, but not enough to shell out 400 smackers. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that some day it will arrive on PC.

I love westerns and have never played a game based on the western theme. I really wanted to play RD1, but didn't bother, although regretted it really when I see videos of it.
I would likely have done the same this time, but for the wife just plunging in and buying me a console. I'm really happy she did though..

Definitely agree on the Last of Us Remastered, it and RDR1 are my two stand outs for the previous console generation. I would also add the Uncharted series as a bit of Indiana Jones-style fun.

My wife bought RDR2 for me yesterday as she was out shopping for a new coat. I've only played a couple of missions so far, but am enjoying it and definitely prefer it to GTA (which hasn't been decent since Vice City).

Definitely agree on the Last of Us Remastered, it and RDR1 are my two stand outs for the previous console generation. I would also add the Uncharted series as a bit of Indiana Jones-style fun.

My wife bought RDR2 for me yesterday as she was out shopping for a new coat. I've only played a couple of missions so far, but am enjoying it and definitely prefer it to GTA (which hasn't been decent since Vice City).

What made Vice City and Red Dead Redemption great for me was immersing you in a very specific time / vibe. I bounced off GTA series otherwise as it felt kind of generic and I had trouble getting into it, feeling like it was some generic modern mockup I couldn't relate to because it lacked personality.

Rdr2 looks right on track to give me back that sweet spot that I loved in Vice City and RDR.

Top Bottom