Reduce the grind

This is subjective and personal, not everyone is going to agree.

Which would be valid if people were asking to drop the requirements altogether. They're not though.

Well, sounds like it's time to expand your concept of playing the game to include enjoying utilizing and experimenting with all the systems within the game. Feels like such an odd thing to have to say, that an interest in playing with pieces of the game is an interest in playing the game, but here we are.

Oh, we do, but we often question the purpose it serves and if the game would be better with the concept of interesting or challenging interactions rather than time gates. We also wonder why you would place such potentially significant and powerful rewards behind such a barrier knowing full well the desirability of what you put in the game.

Trophies for hours played?
Sadism?
Time padding?

Not sure really.

Depends on whether the person stopped there, and if they did you'd be missing a big point as much as you are now: The upgrades aren't the end of the journey, they're there to help the journey. They're tools to help you do what you're trying to do in the game for whatever reason you're trying to do it. If you decide the journey is significantly enabled by a tool of unlock, so be it.

Ah okay, so now I got it, I think... You don't want to play the game,, as such... Instead you want to change the game to suit your end desires. Roger that.

I agree.

ED used to be practically the only game I played, what I notice personally now that I started to play other games, NMS included, is that ED's shallow gameplay and weird mechanics are becoming much more apparent.
This includes the grindy nature of accomplishing most things you want to achieve.
Mats gathering, ranking, Guardian modules, etc., etc., so many features are revolving around some kind of grind.
I get the feeling that some processes are so long winded just to strech the gameplay time, to make it appear as if ED is a game that offers hours upon hours of engaging gameplay while most of the time is filled with repetitive and monotonous labour.
A lot of the other games I play now deal with this in a much more engaging way or not as long winded.
NMS and ARK for instance have material gathering too but you don't need as much and they're quite easy to obtain, in many cases it's rather fun doing it.

Just my personal opinion though.

The thing is, I dont think E D's game play is shallow at all, I think it is just spread very thin by the grind. In general I think the gameplay is cleverly designed and really fun. The issue is that one has to figuratively run laps just to access what they need to do what they want.

Ah okay, so now I got it, I think...

If I wasn't so sure that you were being intentionally obtuse I'd suggest you think harder as you've missed the mark so hard it seems you're not even looking at the same target.

You don't want to play the game,, as such... Instead you want to change the game to suit your end desires. Roger that.

So does every suggestion ever. So are we back to saying all feedback that isn't glowingly positive and insisting nothing should be changed is the only valid feedback? Or is this post just a massive exaggeration based in the misguided idea that we've achieved perfection already and that perfection is hurry up and wait mechanics?

If I wasn't so sure that you were being intentionally obtuse I'd suggest you think harder as you've missed the mark so hard it seems you're not even looking at the same target.

So does every suggestion ever. So are we back to saying all feedback that isn't glowingly positive and insisting nothing should be changed is the only valid feedback? Or is this post just a massive exaggeration based in the misguided idea that we've achieved perfection already and that perfection is hurry up and wait mechanics?

It rather depends on what your end motivation is, and I'm not absolutely sure people are not being disingenuous in their requests and demands.

It rather depends on what your end motivation is, and I'm not absolutely sure people are not being disingenuous in their requests and demands.

Well, the obvious end motivation is to be able to gain access in interesting ways to tools to play with that already exist within the game and would be used within the existing game. I was of the opinion that this was clear, so any insinuation that "You don't want to play the game" seems to me at this point to be intentionally dismissive (Edit: Obviously, when you suggest a change to a game you want to play the version of the game with that change implemented but you went out of your way to make that sound incidious rather than obvious).

I'm not even aware of what you're suggesting the feedback could be disingenuous of. It's pretty transparent that we're arguing against the repetition gating the game currently engages in.

Well, the obvious end motivation is to be able to gain access in interesting ways to tools to play with that already exist within the game and would be used within the existing game. I was of the opinion that this was clear, so any insinuation that "You don't want to play the game" seems to me at this point to be intentionally dismissive (Edit: Obviously, when you suggest a change to a game you want to play the version of the game with that change implemented but you went out of your way to make that sound incidious rather than obvious).

I'm not even aware of what you're suggesting the feedback could be disingenuous of. It's pretty transparent that we're arguing against the repetition gating the game currently engages in.

Got that. Without your stating of the obvious, actually.
What we need to know, however, is what your "end game" is?
That is all.

That IS the end game: "to be able to gain access in interesting ways to tools to play with."

That's a new and interesting take. I actually like it.

Normally, it's PvP combat enthusiasts who moan incessantly like little children about this stuff, because they just want to "bypass" the game in order to gain access to all the modules and accessories that they want, to then be able to do PvP combat, but without having to actually engage with the game.

The thing is, I dont think E D's game play is shallow at all, I think it is just spread very thin by the grind. In general I think the gameplay is cleverly designed and really fun. The issue is that one has to figuratively run laps just to access what they need to do what they want.

There are definitely nice designs in ED hence I wouldn't have put over 2000 hours in it.
Imho however many features also lack depth, take planetary activities for instance, landing and driving around on planets is very cool for some time but then what? There's not so much more to do then landing and driving around, shooting rocks gets uninteresting too after a while.
Guardian sites are incredibly well designed but yet again only shooting and collecting some stuff is the only thing you can do, such a shame for such well made and atmospheric handcrafted places.
Thargoids are mysterious and very well designed entities but once again only shooting them is the only interaction, quite shallow imho.
I could go on but you get my point I think.
The grindy nature of so many features is only part of the problem imho, they also lack depth.

That's a new and interesting take. I actually like it.

Normally, it's PvP combat enthusiasts who moan incessantly like little children about this stuff, because they just want to "bypass" the game in order to gain access to all the modules and accessories that they want, to then be able to do PvP combat, but without having to actually engage with the game.

Such is the disdain for PvP, that mind-numbing grind is seen as a means to an end to thwart players engaging in this gameplay. No other gameplay/career in the game offers such obstacles offered by this power creep locked behind such tedium. You'd think by your statement that players wanting to get stuck into PvP in Open anytime soon had uttered blasphemy. I dread to think how like minded new players lured by stunning screenshots of Elite Dangerous will find this once they realize they cannot fight in conflict zones & engage in PP against over players until they have "done the grind"

Such is the disdain for PvP, that mind-numbing grind is seen as a means to an end to thwart players engaging in this gameplay. No other gameplay/career in the game offers such obstacles offered by this power creep locked behind such tedium. You'd think by your statement that players wanting to get stuck into PvP in Open anytime soon had uttered blasphemy. I dread to think how like minded new players lured by stunning screenshots of Elite Dangerous will find this once they realize they cannot fight in conflict zones & engage in PP against over players until they have "done the grind"

Fact remains that those other players did do the grind, so how is it fair in those established players to suddenly have their "grind" made meaningless in one fell swoop?
Fact also remains that you still can fight in CZ or engage other players in PP... Just that, unless you actually have some mad skills, you also must jump through the exact same hoops that others already jumped through to then be on an equal equipment status. Either that or git gud, LOL...

Fact remains that those other players did do the grind, so how is it fair in those established players to suddenly have their "grind" made meaningless in one fell swoop?

That's already happened. Engineers 3.0 is a considerable improvement that made engineering palatable for me. Some others have decried it as the dumbing down of the game or made comments about instant gratification kids. Others have less hyperbolically called it a negative change. If an engineering 4.0 were to come out that changed things so that others could bypass the unpleasentries I deal with now as I expand my engineered arsenal I'd be fine with it. Depends on your outlook I guess. I don't have an issue with people not having to do exactly what I had to do if it means the next time I do it or first time they do it it will be better.

That's already happened. Engineers 3.0 is a considerable improvement that made engineering palatable for me. Some others have decried it as the dumbing down of the game or made comments about instant gratification kids. Others have less hyperbolically called it a negative change. If an engineering 4.0 were to come out that changed things so that others could bypass the unpleasentries I deal with now as I expand my engineered arsenal I'd be fine with it. Depends on your outlook I guess. I don't have an issue with people not having to do exactly what I had to do if it means the next time I do it or first time they do it it will be better.

Very magnanimous of you, I'd say.
Less magnanimous is your derogatory posting style.
Which is interesting in itself.

Fact also remains that you still can fight in CZ or engage other players in PP... Just that, unless you actually have some mad skills, you also must jump through the exact same hoops that others already jumped through to then be on an equal equipment status. Either that or git gud, LOL...

Seems like a selfish way to think about it like this. Especially when you yourself have said that the grind does not bother you & neither see it "nor here or there

For me, I find that my enjoyment and reward is simply from playing the game. The progress thing is neither here nor there. It isn't why I play the game. It's nice to see progress, but not the raison d'etre for playing the game.

This guy here ^ sounds like a reasonable guy. Sounds like if FD did make the grind more sensible for engineering. You would not be affected in no way whatsoever. You'd still continue doing what you was doing & at the same time others whom want to engage in PVP in conflict zones for powerplay factions can be happy too.

Not suggesting it should be a cake walk to do either, but atleast offer other means of acquiring these materials & not in such expected required large amounts. Personally i'd rather work for a PowerPlay faction, & instead of using my merits to claim credit i could instead use them to claim materials/data of my choice that i happened to be short off & do it almost like a shopping list at the end of each weekly tick. That way i would be actively engage in the PP struggle while not having to divert my time to areas of the game that do not interest me. This personally would give me a lot more satisfaction then sitting outside stations scanning ships & driving around on barren planets.

I made such a suggestion here. Even so, i'm not asking to do it in 5min & i understand engineering is here to stay if i like it or not. But for heaven sakes, it really could do with a tone down, even if its for the sake of newer players getting into the game which should be in everyone interest if wanting to see this game do well & not have the reputation of "a stunning looking game but a grind"

I'm quite open to suggestions, someone here mentioned "how about paying through the nose for materials" with credits, which is even a lot more preferable. Obviously players with huge credit balances will make use of this, but newer players will also be able to get into areas a bit better.

Last edited:
Very magnanimous of you, I'd say.
Less magnanimous is your derogatory posting style.
Which is interesting in itself.

You call it derogatory, and maybe it is, but it isn't meant to be. I can imagine that my lack of deference for the philosophy of "I did 'x' therefore you must too" might be showing through. But none of what I stated was wrong, we did have and do have people calling those who want things to work differently instant gratification seekers and kids while pointing to their own age as proof of wisdom in a video game debate. Observations aren't derogatory, but if you're feeling degraded by the mention which wasn't even pointed at you, I'm not sure what to say.

You call it derogatory, and maybe it is, but it isn't meant to be. I can imagine that my lack of deference for the philosophy of "I did 'x' therefore you must too" might be showing through. But none of what I stated was wrong, we did have and do have people calling those who want things to work differently instant gratification seekers and kids while pointing to their own age as proof of wisdom in a video game debate. Observations aren't derogatory, but if you're feeling degraded by the mention which wasn't even pointed at you, I'm not sure what to say.

I call words like:

"intentionally obtuse I'd suggest you think harder as you've missed the mark so hard"
"Disdain for PvP"
Etc...

derisory and derogatory, yes.

Top Bottom