Refurbishments

We all know that in reality, queue lines and buildings and such start to "wear and tear."

So frontier HAS confirmed that attractions and rides will break down.... That's good. For realism. However, another similar issue is when an attraction and its contents start to show age... This is when a certain ride, attraction, restaurant, or shop go down for a refurbishment...

Disney does this to their shops by putting a scrim around the exterior of the building.
DSC01100.jpg

As for attractions, the entire facility my have to close down seasonally for a refurbishment. Much like how Splash Mountain is normally closed every year for a refurb during January - February... Sometimes, a refurbishment will be at random when management just starts to see paint chipping and age showing... So they'll close the coaster or ride down for a certain amount of time, maybe a few weeks, or sometimes a month, so that workers can re-paint, and improve certain parts of the ride.

Heck, some parks close altogether for a certain amount of the year and refurbish their whole park. (Carowinds closes during the winter).... Refurbishments could also limit down the amount of times an attraction will break down.

So... How would this work in Planet Coaster? We would need 3 options..

Option 1: Set the dates of your attraction's annual refurbishments...

You give your high quality attractions/coasters a certain date, say.. November 30 - December 5 for your log flume, a refurbishment. It then will re-open to the public on December 6 with a re-coating of paint, and improved performance.

Option 2: Set refurbishments at random...

Some attractions, specifically flat rides, don't really need annual, yearly refurbishments. Maybe you only need to refurbish, say, a merry go round, once every 4 or 5 years. Or whenever it starts to break down constantly. You can have the option to do that.

Option 3: No refurbs at all

If you're in the sandbox mode and you really don't want to deal with refurbishments... Perhaps at any time in the game, you could set your settings to where you do not have to bother with refurbishments.

I do think that refurbishment periods for attractions would make the game more realistic. It would be great if it was optional as well, and not required. For those who are wanting to re-create a real life experience, this would be essential... And better than just using our "imaginations" by pushing the "close" button and then "saying" it's under refurbishment.... But also for the ones who don't want to deal with refurbishments, they would have the option not to do so.

We would need some form of "area highlighter" for this.. So that a certain section of the park closes off with construction walls around the area. If its an entire area with buildings and things that need to be repainted. The walls would line up on the edge of your highlighted section.

disney-springs_Full_18896.jpg

Or.. If its JUST an attraction.... A sign shows up at the entrance.
Space+Mountain+Closed+Refurbishment+sign1.jpg

Last edited:
Personally, I would. [yesnod]
Because you listed the option to turn off refurbishments (and I hope that means disable ride breakdowns, because honestly, rides broke down way too much in RCT3), I personally like the idea. As long as players can control things like park crowd levels, day night cycle timing, ride breakdown, park litter/sick stains, then that is the optimal path for the game to take.

I have to say I'm not so sure about my stance on having rides wearing over time and refurbishments yet. I do like having the rides breaking down though, but I think it needs to be a bit more realistic than RCT3. We don't want shops breaking down for a start, and we don't want to have the "restraints stuck open" on a ride that doesn't have restraints for example.

@gregor- exactly, there are more important things that need work before moving onto bigger ideas. aging will not make the game more fun for me, but improved "breakdown" would

Already commented on this in the other thread but I am still for this, as it is a management game, management has to be the most important aspect. Rides age, rides tear, rides go thru many themings and rides get moved on, that's realistic and should be implemented. I am in favour of off-season and refurbs that happen, and also more realistic construction times and promotional elements! It should be able to be turned off, some people don't like the fuss but it's better to have the option and make everyone happy rather than not have it [yesnod]

Already commented on this in the other thread but I am still for this, as it is a management game, management has to be the most important aspect. Rides age, rides tear, rides go thru many themings and rides get moved on, that's realistic and should be implemented. I am in favour of off-season and refurbs that happen, and also more realistic construction times and promotional elements! It should be able to be turned off, some people don't like the fuss but it's better to have the option and make everyone happy rather than not have it [yesnod]
I'm more of a sandbox player myself so I appreciate you acknowledging to have the option to disable the breakdowns and refurbishments; however, management is part of the fun for many players and I think this feature will be appreciated by those players such as yourself. [happy]

I have to say I'm not so sure about my stance on having rides wearing over time and refurbishments yet.

But to have it optional... You can set your game settings to "No breakdowns" and "No wear and tear"... Ect. For those who aren't into the management portion of the game.

But to have it optional... You can set your game settings to "No breakdowns" and "No wear and tear"... Ect. For those who aren't into the management portion of the game.

That would be for sandbox or scenerio editor (if there is one), not the regular scenerios.

the rides do break down way to often in rct3 should be changed, the option for refurbishment is way out of scope of what the game is designed. maybe being able to shut the ride down before it breaks down and have a maintenance schedule and be able to choose how long the ride will be closed, that would be your refurbishment.

Last edited:
the rides do break down way to often in rct3 should be changed, the option for refurbishment is way out of scope of what the game is designed. maybe being able to shut the ride down before it breaks down and have a maintenance schedule and be able to choose how long the ride will be closed, that would be your refurbishment.

Also during that time we could repaint or retheme it.

Not sure if it was just my experience or what, but I completely re-themed a coaster in my park to better match the surround theming. Before the re-theming the coaster was about 1/4 queue full. After it was completed it seemed like the guests flocked to it. The line was close to 3/4 full and stayed that way for a good while.

Thats honestly basically the same concept... Except it not being able to be set annually so you don't have to worry about closing it down before it breaks down, and without construction walls....... I'd prefer these couple of few little "perks" for a realistic refurbishment, wouldn't you? If you would go through the trouble of having to close a ride down before it breaks down for maintenance repairs anyways?

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Not sure if it was just my experience or what, but I completely re-themed a coaster in my park to better match the surround theming. Before the re-theming the coaster was about 1/4 queue full. After it was completed it seemed like the guests flocked to it. The line was close to 3/4 full and stayed that way for a good while.

That would also be another awesome thing about refurbishments making it more realistic! You know how when a major ride like Soarin' at EPCOT closes for SEVERAL months to receive a brand new third theatre, and a film... It's obviously going to attract more people now because there's something new... Or the re-imagining of Star Tours to Star Tours: The Adventures Continue... Refurbs may attract more people to the attractions.. Either permanantly or for a short while, depending on how much has been updated/changed.

What if you're both though! o.o
Normally, it is biologically impossible, but if this is the case, you need to consult a doctor, because you can officially use the left and right parts of your brain at the same time, and there's a good chance you're a bipolar schizophrenic psychopath.

Okay, I'm out [haha]

I'm more of a sandbox player myself so I appreciate you acknowledging to have the option to disable the breakdowns and refurbishments; however, management is part of the fun for many players and I think this feature will be appreciated by those players such as yourself. [happy]

That's exactly it mate, even I enjoy sandbox from time to time because I love trying to create something cool. I play a lot of sandbox games, and played a lot of RCT3 sandbox and custom scenario! I just really want PC to nail every aspect of the game, the amount of hours you can sink into the creative side will make management really fun [big grin]

Top Bottom