Relative mouse nerf or Hotas control needs a bit of love.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 121570

D
i just hope that FDeV who know exactly how they implemented it look theirself.

The normally much weaker mouse is far stronger at FA-off than a stick, because stick has no relativization. If the stick inputs in FA-off are relativized, suddenly the ease of use is equalized.

I really don't think that adding a gimp-mode to stick controls is a good idea. Sticks are fine as they are.

Edit: Although, to be fair - if it was just an option in the control menu you could turn on if you wanted gimped sticks, then...power to ya!

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 192138

D
Relative mouse centres output when you stop moving it, same as stick centres output when you take your hand off it.
Relative mouse can do so more aggressively because it happens as part of the game translating a loss of input, whereas a stick takes longer to do this because it must physically move to that centre point.

That is the sum total of relative mouse.

That is demonstrated in the video I uploaded for a variety of different mouse settings with flight assist both on and off.

If you think there is some translation of this action to stick that would be beneficial for stick users to implement then great. But the only options I can think of I've stated and I think they'd be vastly over complicating the matter and make things harder and more confusing than what stick users currently have to do - start the movement to the centre point in advance of when they want output to be neutralised.

@Sanderling
I really don't think that adding a gimp-mode to stick controls is a good idea. Sticks are fine as they are.
if i remember correctly you dont do pvp with weapons. and i suggested an additional option so your gameplay would not be affected at all.

To all you flight sim guys, if you want space control to be “realistic” NASA uses only key inputs for all thruster controls. They have access to all the technology that is currently available, and they

So if you want the most “realistic” experience, fly keyboard only. While in VR...

You also wouldn’t be slamming into a pad every time you dock. You would be taking the full amount of time to dock, to actually dock gently like the crew dragon capsule did in the recent live stream.

🥴

Deleted member 121570

D
@Sanderling

if i remember correctly you dont do pvp with weapons. and i suggested an additional option so your gameplay would not be affected at all.

As reflected in my almost immediate edit. So long as it's an option and doesn't interfere with my flying, I don't care what you PvP combat folks do ;)

To all you flight sim guys, if you want space control to be “realistic” NASA uses only key inputs for all thruster controls. They have access to all the technology that is currently available, and they

So if you want the most “realistic” experience, fly keyboard only. While in VR...

You also wouldn’t be slamming into a pad every time you dock. You would be taking the full amount of time to dock, to actually dock gently like the crew dragon capsule did in the recent live stream.

🥴
maxresdefault.jpg

Upssss!!!

Wow..
So wrong!
The hotas comes in many forms. Some costing a fortune.
I've a very old reconditioned original saitek x56 rhino.
After alot of arsing about over several weeks I've mastered this beast.
I recently posted how I clear high combat zones alone in open play using my FDL with all rails and a belly turret multicannon.
Now railing has to be spot on. 90% hitrate to be effective. And ask anyone who flys with me. I do it well.
How? Well that's the thing.
Deadzones on all axis. Only small on stick bigger on throttle and bigger still on mini sticks.
A curve set on the stick that's perfect for steady sweet spot firing. And the curve I use isn't a curve. It's a perfectly diagonal line.
And since doing that it's a huge advantage specially seen as I'm in VR.
So for me... hotas for sure.
I get the keyboard/mouse thing but keyboard ain't an option for VR. It's just not as intuitive as a hotas.
I've millions of buttons 5 hats 3 modes.
I use 70 percent of it.
I don't use the hats on the throttle their badly placed. Aside from that I'm happy and can rail for England

this is not correct lin and also the problem why you cant fly with relative mouse on in supercruise or normal space
it stops the rotation.
and in fa off this is working like a stabilisator. everyone from frontier who tries this out will see it.

with stick you have to compensate all the rotation with counter rotation manuelly which is extreme hard
which means i have 50% pitch positive with x amountof thrust then i need 50% negative pitch with exact the same amount of thrust.
good luck to do this with stick manuelly. have you ever tried btw.

with mouse i just pitch up and stop the pitch with a short fast down move the relative mouse will calculate how many negative pitch is needed.

i am around in the pvp community since 2016. i met more or less 1000 full fa off players in that time
i remember less then 20 who fly full perma fa off and still use flight stick.

This is not how relative mouse works at all, as others have pointed out. You always have to counter any input with the same input in the opposite direction to cancel it, doesn't matter what input device you use.
I use a steam controller and have the gyro set up as a relative mouse. Therefore the gamepads gyro and the mouse function exactly in the same way with the same relative mouse setting. Wit the the mouse I have a better fine control, not because of some software magic, but because I use the mouse daily for hours and developed the fine motor skills for it. I'm still gitting gud on developing the same fine motor skills for the controller. I went already from being all over the place to reliably hit with hitscan weapons. The other fixed weapons are not an issue either anymore. I also fly now 95% FAoff outside of combat (not on high-g planets and toggeling to stop the Cutters drift) and most inputs come from the gamepad and not from the gyro. Still need to get much better on the tactical an situational stuff, but it's not the input device that's holding me back there.

Gitting Gud is the only way.

I do want to end on a positive note however, if I ever get a VR headset, I totally want to play Elite with a HOTAS or controller to get that immersive experience.

Do it, it's so much fun. The rocks are huge and the feeling of "being there" is amazing. I think I would have stopped playing a long time ago if it wasn't for VR.

i guess i have to do a video demonstration myself to prove and demonstrate where the unfair advantage lies.

The advantage is that everybody uses a mouse almost daily and developed the fine motor skills for it. The gyro of my gamepad (mouse emulating) and the mouse are working with exactly the same settings, I can even use them at the same time for exactly the same inputs. The mouse is easier and it has nothing to do with relative mouse at all. Just do a test and move the mouse on the desktop in the same way you do in game and see how close you get if you move it into one direction and then back, there is no relative mouse there. See how close you get to the original position, that is the fine motor skill with mouse inputs I'm talking about. Don't believe me try a trackpad and set it up as relative mouse, if what you are saying is right you should have no problem at all.

Let me get this straight: you want to make it more difficult for the majority because - and please, help me understand which option is correct - A) you find it too difficult to use a joystick, or B) you think others find it too easy to use a mouse?

I can't afford a HOTAS in this economy - and even if I could, I couldn't justify it. Why on God's green Earth should anyone be punished because you have a grudge against mice?

And besides, people seem to do just fine with flight assist off and joysticks/gamepads, see Isinona or Cillit Bang from back in the day.

no we want to show that it would be very helpful when a technic like relative mouse would be also implemented as option for stick.

relative mouse should not be nerfed.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom