Release Horizons 4.0 client as an option as soon as possible

I mean, instead than one day suddently switching off the old client and replacing it with the new client (meaning the odyssey client with Horizons limitations), i think that you should give the Horizons players the option to run it (while still being able to use the old client) as soon as possible (which doesn't mean now, i think that you'll need at least another couple of updates to improve it, so not before october), to give them the ability to accustom to its good and bad sides, before forcing it on them.

PS: This gives also the playerbase the option to reunite at least in the space game without forcing who actually like odyssey to revert back to the old horizons client (even though you'd have to solve the PEGI problem with the airless planets)

Last edited:
[edit]

NO
It's not all bad anymore, i play with the horizons client "only" for performances and to play with a couple of friends who are waiting the full release before buying Odyssey.
Otherwise i'd play with the Odyssey client, i'm now getting used even to the new interface (now that they've corrected some critical issues)

I mean, instead than one day suddently switching off the old client and replacing it with the new client (meaning the odyssey client with Horizons limitations), i think that you should give the Horizons players the option to run it (while still being able to use the old client) as soon as possible (which doesn't mean now, i think that you'll need at least another couple of updates to improve it, so not before october), to give them the ability to accustom to it's good and bad sides, before forcing it on them.

PS: This gives also the playerbase the option to reunite at least in the space game without forcing who actually like odyssey to revert back to the old horizons client (even though you'd have to solve the PEGI problem with the airless planets)
I'd love to test client 4.0 in Horizons mode, and I agree that it would be a good idea to make that option available. We've seen during the alpha that client 4.0 can already run in that mode, in fact even in base game mode without Horizons, but now if I disable the Odyssey DLC in the Steam settings, the entry for client 4.0 simply disappears from the launcher, until I re-enable it again.

I'd love to test client 4.0 in Horizons mode, and I agree that it would be a good idea to make that option available. We've seen during the alpha that client 4.0 can already run in that mode, in fact even in base game mode without Horizons, but now if I disable the Odyssey DLC in the Steam settings, the entry for client 4.0 simply disappears from the launcher, until I re-enable it again.
Well, yeah, it'd also useful to test things sooner rather than later, since even if we are already testing it in Odyssey setup, even just blocking features could bring some surprises!

I think that about optimization (so bugs aside) with patch 7 spece/Horizons' content already improved. Of course still not comparable with the old client, but it's getting better.
Maybe patch 8 could actually be the one for this (at least at a reasonable framerate, old client's framerate won't come anytime soon, if ever).

Last edited:
I'm happy with EDH as-is. My playing time already plummeted since the duct taped-on new era launched, this would only bury it.

It's getting better, but by the sound of dev update 5, it might be better to wait update 9 for this

9, 14, 42 . . . who's counting?

Well, after patch 9, even if it still struggles to keep stable 30fps (edit: on srv) on some barren horizons planet surface (especially on camera mode) on my hardware (above specs for horizons, borderline underspec for the odyssey's client, gtx980M 4G, i7-6700HQ, 16GB), it's close enough and i think it's time to have this as an option, hopefully early next year (in this way you might even stop to keep feeding the old client with new bugs edit: forgot about consoles, they might still need them for a while).

Last edited:
Well, after patch 9, even if it still struggles to keep stable 30fps on some barren horizons planet surface (especially on camera mode) on my hardware (above specs for horizons, borderline underspec for the odyssey's client, gtx980M 4G, i7-6700HQ, 16GB), it's close enough and i think it's time to have this as an option, hopefully early next year (in this way you might even stop to keep feeding the old client with new bugs).
Playing shooters on PCs at 30 FPS? forget it.

Try a ground CZ btw, RTX 3090 i9-10900K 32 GB RAM = 36 FPS.

i agree with the thread creator. every user (customer) should have voice on it. they have different hardware requirements, you are cutting out all legit CMDRs that are playing Horizons happily with the same old pc or notebook as they have always done. some of them didn't even buy Odyssey or have intention to. They all paid real money for Horizons as it was when they bought it. I don't think is even legal changing the product and/or its requirements after the contract has been accepted by the user! In this way everyone has what he/she wants, you like Odyssey you launch it, you don't like it you launch Horizons (that runs smooth as never odyssey will). And don't be selfish, respect the other choices, don't impose and dictate your view and personal preference to the rest of the community of players (if you ever felt part of it..), please!

I'm talking about horizon's content.
The space shooter part is mostly back to 75fps (vsync) i had with the old client
Impossible. Odyssey uses a completely different version of the engine which explains why there are these quirks. It is either the entire cake or nothing. Especially so if you want to drive over the surfaces, the atmosphere-less ones had been changed as well.

Impossible. Odyssey uses a completely different version of the engine which explains why there are these quirks. It is either the entire cake or nothing. Especially so if you want to drive over the surfaces, the atmosphere-less ones had been changed as well.
I think i don't understand your point

Top Bottom