News Removal of 'UA Bombing'

Greetings, Commanders.

From Thursday November 29, selling Thargoid Sensors at starports will no longer have any negative effect. As a result, ‘UA bombing’, as it has become known, will no longer be possible. Along with these changes, you will now be able to sell Thargoid items legally rather than via the black market. You will also see an in-game GalNet article explaining why this has changed.

Or you can read it below:

Thargoid-Sensor Disruption Neutralised

Aegis has announced a breakthrough that has effectively neutralised the disruptive effects of Thargoid Sensors on starports.

Henrik de Lacerda, a senior engineer at Aegis Research, told the media:

“As we know, Thargoid Sensors can cripple starports for weeks or months at a time, but recent advancements in our study of meta-alloys have resulted in an effective cure for what was once called ‘the technological plague’.”

“New procedures in the application of meta-alloys mean that extremely small quantities are now sufficient to shield systems from disruption.”

“Following this breakthrough, we have made arrangements to ship meta-alloys to all affected stations, to restore them to functionality. It will not be long before every starport in known space is immune to Thargoid Sensor–related interference.”

I'm conflicted.

On one hand delivering UA in solo was laughably easy so it's good that loophole has been closed, on the other hand it takes something out of the game for evil CMDRs to do.

Goose4291

Banned
Greetings, Commanders.

From Thursday November 29, selling Thargoid Sensors at starports will no longer have any negative effect. As a result, ‘UA bombing’, as it has become known, will no longer be possible. Along with these changes, you will now be able to sell Thargoid items legally rather than via the black market. You will also see an in-game GalNet article explaining why this has changed.

Or you can read it below:

Thargoid-Sensor Disruption Neutralised

Aegis has announced a breakthrough that has effectively neutralised the disruptive effects of Thargoid Sensors on starports.

Henrik de Lacerda, a senior engineer at Aegis Research, told the media:

“As we know, Thargoid Sensors can cripple starports for weeks or months at a time, but recent advancements in our study of meta-alloys have resulted in an effective cure for what was once called ‘the technological plague’.”

“New procedures in the application of meta-alloys mean that extremely small quantities are now sufficient to shield systems from disruption.”

“Following this breakthrough, we have made arrangements to ship meta-alloys to all affected stations, to restore them to functionality. It will not be long before every starport in known space is immune to Thargoid Sensor–related interference.”

Y1DB4.gif

I'm just curious as to why this is deemed something that needs doing? Countering UA bombing is ridiculously easy nowadays, as is collecting and delivering the UAs, but ultimately it's another avenue for (and I know this term gets thrown around a lot) emergent gameplay. You're at war with another faction and you want to them over, UA bomb them, distracting them and forcing them to run MAs so you can upset their influence. It was a tool in a toolkit for group vs group wars.

I'm just curious as to why this is deemed something that needs doing? Countering UA bombing is ridiculously easy nowadays, as is collecting and delivering the UAs, but ultimately it's another avenue for (and I know this term gets thrown around a lot) emergent gameplay. You're at war with another faction and you want to them over, UA bomb them, distracting them and forcing them to run MAs so you can upset their influence. It was a tool in a toolkit for group vs group wars.

the problem is that it was also a tool in the toolkit for players that aren't part of a group, don't have any faction of their own to attack back, and just want to kick over sandcastles. Having your sandcastle kicked over isn't fun gameplay no matter how easy it is to rebuild it.

on the other hand it takes something out of the game for evil CMDRs to do.

Yeah, that is true. UA bombs are a pain in the proverbial if you're on the wrong end of them though and station defences move on, so it's also nice to see humanity fighting back against the Caustic Thargoid Horde for a change!

How will Far God Believers express themselves next? They'll certainly be able to disrupt conflict zones but Thargoid Incursion + UA Bomb = quite OP on a star system!

Last edited:

You put in an order for Emergent Gameplay - the answer came back:

ER2oTNC.png

the problem is that it was also a tool in the toolkit for players that aren't part of a group, don't have any faction of their own to attack back, and just want to kick over sandcastles. Having your sandcastle kicked over isn't fun gameplay no matter how easy it is to rebuild it.

Perhaps playing in a galaxy that grows and evolves based on player interaction isn't for you then, buddy.

Cool. I take it this also applies to Probes, Links, etc.?

Now I'll have to find some other way to boost my smuggling statistics and teach those black markets a lesson. :p

Story wise it makes perfect sense. Protection against UA effects should have been in works for long time already. As for emergent gameplay, it is too punishing. Disabling station for so long and with such effects was too one sided. New mechanics will come with time, and new things will be introduced.

Top Bottom