News Removal of Win32 support for Elite Dangerous

Greetings Commanders,

As mentioned last year in this forum post by David Braben, the constant focus on pushing technological boundaries within Elite Dangerous has required us to reconsider our support for the Win32 version of the game client.

The removal of the Win32 version will affect less than 0.01% of Elite Dangerous players and we’ll be reaching out to those few people directly to make sure they’re well aware of the changes. The change will come into effect at the release of 2.4 – those trying to access the 2.4 beta will be required to play on the Win64 version also.

If you’re unsure this will affect you, you can find a guide online that will help, such as this one here: https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/21726/how-do-i-know-if-im-running-32-bit-or-64-bit-windows-answers/

As we mentioned above, the vast majority of players won’t notice a difference, and if we believe you’ll be affected we’ll get in touch with you directly. The change allows us to make the Win64 client the most stable and safe version of the game possible, and focus on the future of Elite Dangerous.

Thanks.

Ed

About time! You did good in holding off for as long as possible, but it's quite clear that 32-bit architectures are now basically as dead as the Dodo as far as PC architecture is concerned - sure there are still folks out there using such PC's, but as you say, a fraction of a percentage.

Harbinger

Volunteer Moderator
Good news, especially for Steam users who won't have to download double the data at every update.

Just for clarity then, how will this pan out for 32bit people (and their computers)?
I guess it's not the same sort of situation as for those that didn't buy Horizons and stay on a 1.x version of the game? So from 2.4 (or 1.8 for base?) they will not be able to play?

Just to be clear, I think it's the right call, just wondered and can't remember what was said before.

The removal of the Win32 version will affect less than 0.01% of Elite Dangerous players and we’ll be reaching out to those few people directly to make sure they’re well aware of the changes. The change will come into effect at the release of 2.4 – those trying to access the 2.4 beta will be required to play on the Win64 version also.

Great customers support right there.
Thanks FD !

Interesting. I'm OK with this, and I am curious - what features would be improved by this move?

Not trying to be facetious - just genuinely interested.

Did someone say customer service?
They now get to send mails like:

"Dear <name>,

It has come to our attention that the system you are trying to play Elite: Dangerous on is too damn old. We advise you ditch that ancient and likely yellow-beige technological monolith of near-religious importance in favour of something that hasn't been around since the Gulf War (and to be totally clear, we mean the first one) to continue to play after <2.4 release date>. Upgrading to an LCD screen would be a good idea too.

Sincerely,
Your support team at Frontier."

Interesting. I'm OK with this, and I am curious - what features would be improved by this move?
It frees up development resources that would otherwise be spent on maintaining the 32bit build, so "all of them" in some way ;) See also David's replies further up the thread.

Great, it's about time...

1.-To-Infinity-and-Beyond.gif

Top Bottom