Removing the TMTK 8m x 8m x 8m might rejuvenate the community, so why hasn't it been done yet?

Hey all, personally I use TMTK a lot in making technical models for the community, yet am limited by this pointless volume limit in TMTK objects. I'd sincerely like to ask Frontier if this is a technical limitation or an intentional design choice. The last time a dev spoke about this issue on the forum was in Mid-2019, so if someone at frontier could clarify some things about this that would be great. In an ideal world, this pointless limitation could be removed for the community to design more creative and limitless objects.

Since my specialty is adding detail pieces I am pretty agnostic on this, but I do think it would be interesting to see larger things.

It’s a good thing people made dinosaurs on the workshop because there are no dinos in the default game, just some dragons. RCT 1-3 has dinosaurs in the default games.

It’s a good thing people made dinosaurs on the workshop because there are no dinos in the default game, just some dragons. RCT 1-3 has dinosaurs in the default games.
My suspicion is that it has to do with the Jurassic World Deal going on with Frontier. But that is not based in any fact, just a hunch.

My suspicion is they wanted to do something else instead of making a RCT1/2/3 clone. ;)
Yes i agree there too. Even though i myself would have loved to see a "Jurassic" Theme. But i think everybody has their own idea what Themes should be included and this list could go on and on.

Last edited:
  • Like (+1)
Reactions: LN
My problem isn't , what theme I want. It's that every single theme frontier releases feels incomplete and working on different mechanics sometimes.

It's incredibly infuriating the 15 some odd Western signs provided, but 2 pirate, 3 fairy tale.

There is no balance between the themes, and as far as I'm aware I can't go grab these existing assets, mod them, take their bumps and finish what I think are some holes in the theme.

Roof systems feel incomplete, columns (you give me one painted wood pillar but not the other, why? Just use the same damn model and swap textures.

One of my biggest gripes about Planet Coaster is that Fronteirs themes always seem like a half finished attempt and never reflects on what's already been created.

/End rant

My problem isn't , what theme I want. It's that every single theme frontier releases feels incomplete and working on different mechanics sometimes.

It's incredibly infuriating the 15 some odd Western signs provided, but 2 pirate, 3 fairy tale.

There is no balance between the themes, and as far as I'm aware I can't go grab these existing assets, mod them, take their bumps and finish what I think are some holes in the theme.

Roof systems feel incomplete, columns (you give me one painted wood pillar but not the other, why? Just use the same damn model and swap textures.

One of my biggest gripes about Planet Coaster is that Fronteirs themes always seem like a half finished attempt and never reflects on what's already been created.

/End rant

This is my main complaint with the game, beyond performance issues. I really wish we could get the ability to use in game textures so we could complete sets and make some damn off grid walls.

I'll concede that the only reason I've outright refused to play the game and make custom scenery for the community is because of the size restrictions. I guess I understand the restrictions for performance/technical reasons, but it is very much frustrating to say the least.

This is my main complaint with the game, beyond performance issues. I really wish we could get the ability to use in game textures so we could complete sets and make some damn off grid walls.

Yes I'd like that too... but the esthetic of planco is pretty straight-foward when it comes to textures - sorta ''stylized-realism-with-smooth-noisiness/gloss''... is my totally unhelpful description of it. hahah! The master texture files would be easier, for SURE! But it was fun making my own baseline... I had used some avocado picture, vectorized cracked and... all kinds of weird stuff. All gone now... gone gone gone with the cleanup! sniff....

Can someone explain this process, please?
So usually your 3D model would look like this in "rest position". But as you can see, it is way bigger than the 8x8x8m limit.
Capture d’écran 2020-04-29 à 14.55.12.png

So in reality the base mesh look like that to fit in the 8x8x8m limit:
Capture d’écran 2020-04-29 à 14.52.39.png

You then rig it and use the bones to unfold it back
Capture d’écran 2020-04-29 à 14.57.13.png

Because the limit doesn't apply to animation, only to the base mesh (rest position).

Now there is 2 main issues with this.
-The lights in the game are based on the base mesh. Meaning that if you fold it too much, there will be lighting issues like here (the tail):
I may i found a solution for this but didn't have time to test it yet.
previewfile_1867024744.jpg

-2nd issue is that LODs are calculated on the base mesh too. So if you look at the head, it would be LOD 1 or 2 and not LOD 0 since technically you are far from the base mesh.

And voilà.

I basically came here to post about this same thing. I don't need it to be infinite but just make the size large enough to make custom trees, for example. 32x32x32 maybe? Now that they've basically finished updating the game it doesn't seem like too big of an ask for these restrictions to be expanded or lifted completely. Please Frontier! Let us have fun!!!

Since the game is about "making parts", to "make structures"... Why don't you use that to "all of our advantage"?

For instance, the dinosaur. It could be three individual parts. (That would also resolve the LOD issue.) Having the head, the body and the tail as three parts, built into a "blueprint". You could make a short neck, a medium neck, a bent neck, a fat neck, a thin neck... and/or tail... matching the body. Then, for more flavor, various bodies... One with a leg-up on a rock or "nothing". One rearing-up. One laying down, sleeping. One bent to the left and another bent to the right.

You end-up with more than 100,000 potential shapes, from about a dozen "individual parts".

This is where creativity comes to light. Large trees, buildings, cars, animals, etc... all gain from this process.

Not sure if it is possible, but if the "bones" can be "scaled" in the game, after loading... You can simply add ONE bone to the whole object and "scale it down", before exporting, then when in the game, have it scripted to "scale the bone up", on XYZ axis. (I wish a few items used that feature, like trees, for size variations.)

Top Bottom