Renovation/Reopening/Advertisements.

So i was playing RCT2 and i noticed something that might be of use in Planet Coaster.
I was doing the "build your own Six Flags" scenario and after i gathered 40k i started constructing this super massive coaster, it had a whole mountain around it and i spent ages making the surroundings look good.
When it opened it was completely full, the waiting lines could not handle the amount of people wanting to go in the coaster but as time went on the popularity began to disappear and eventually my big rollercoaster got left into the dust, it can barely fill a train.

Anyway, after this i started to think of the idea to renovate a ride in order to appeal it again for visitors. Basically what you have to do is take a existing coaster, either rebuild a part to refresh it or change the entire theme of the area (i assume the game knows what theme is being presented in the area) and then the game would notice the coaster as "new" since you changed a big part of the coaster. This would boost visitors again to visit the coaster since it has been reopened and its "new" again. Kinda like how Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain in Disney have big renovations which result in a whole new experience.

What i currently do in RCT games is, is that i always create this one big ride. Sort of like Alton Tower's Secret Weapon program. Basically this big expensive coaster with a whole theme around it, the true spotlight of the park but through the logic of RCT1/2/3 the ride is just another ride. It doesn't even get recognized as being the highest coaster or the coaster with the most loops or the coaster with the most air time.

tl;dr, being able to change the tracks existing of coaster or changing the theme surround the coaster in order to appeal it again to the public, like a real world renovation.

Last edited:
Great idea, I also think that a coaster with perfect stats should remain popular so that it encourages coaster designers to build perfect coasters to make money, poor coasters on the other hand could have negative effect and end up loosing money and scaring peeps off. [squeeeeee]

Indeed! As my park grows i personally would like more challenges overtime, coaster decay/loss in popularity could exactly be this.
Imagine that at the start of the park you only had 3k to spent on a coaster so you ended up with a fairly easy coaster which got popular because it was the only coaster but now you build this 50k coaster with a million loops the other coaster is just out of the picture because other coasters are much better. Could give you a reason to demolish the coaster and to rebuild one over there since otherwise it would just go on making a loss in profits and eventually costing money.

Great idea, I also think that a coaster with perfect stats should remain popular so that it encourages coaster designers to build perfect coasters to make money, poor coasters on the other hand could have negative effect and end up loosing money and scaring peeps off. [squeeeeee]

This and the original post are perfect. This is what happens in real life too (assuming Frontier are looking for as much realism as we suspect).. A well built coaster will be popular for a long time - look at Nemesis at Alton Towers.. It still gets quite a queue when it's busy.. but also rides popularity fades after a while and you have to make the decision to either revamp and refurbish it; but not always change theme, layout or anything that requires major intervention - just a simple paint refresh would also do the trick (**cough cough, Colossus cough cough**) and that would raise the profile... Or even change the trains on the coaster like Rougarou at Cedar.. OR demolish and build something new in it's place

But, just like all the other time related suggestions, there would need to be careful consideration for how this plays out.. There are players that like to just sit back and watch a park.. If you're designing a new ride that might take you 9 hours (as can be the case in RCT3), you don't want to have to micromanage ageing rides too.. Especially in massive parks.

This and the original post are perfect. This is what happens in real life too (assuming Frontier are looking for as much realism as we suspect).. A well built coaster will be popular for a long time - look at Nemesis at Alton Towers.. It still gets quite a queue when it's busy.. but also rides popularity fades after a while and you have to make the decision to either revamp and refurbish it; but not always change theme, layout or anything that requires major intervention - just a simple paint refresh would also do the trick (**cough cough, Colossus cough cough**) and that would raise the profile... Or even change the trains on the coaster like Rougarou at Cedar.. OR demolish and build something new in it's place

But, just like all the other time related suggestions, there would need to be careful consideration for how this plays out.. There are players that like to just sit back and watch a park.. If you're designing a new ride that might take you 9 hours (as can be the case in RCT3), you don't want to have to micromanage ageing rides too.. Especially in massive parks.

I am assuming that in Planet Coaster we will have something like a scenario editor where you can switch on and off gameplay elements, i think it should not be too hard to make this aging ride thing a module so it can be switched on and off.

Top Bottom