Renown GANKER ERADICATOR / BOUNTY HUNTER - This is what I want to be when I grow up!

But, not under the current system. I want to be well paid for each and every psycho kill, according to his/her skill and danger level, and I also want a title that shows how proficient I am at ridding the galaxy of the antisocial elements.
I think it may prove to be a wonderful emergent gameplay for all the good (as in both skill and morality) PvP oriented CMDRs.

This is what I envisage:

• The player killers should get high bounties assigned immediately, proportional to their player kills/ rank/ value of the player goods destroyed.
  • Their killing should make the subject of a mission broadcasted galaxy wide, along with their location. A section of “Most Wanted” should exist everywhere, listing these antisocial elements, along with the associated bounty and the current/ last known location.
  • On the radar reticle they should appear as red hollow boxes by default, with a tag called… let’s say “Terrorist”. This should also give a welcomed heads up to all the good players that jump to the system, giving them the needed advantage to escape from possible destruction. Right now the friendly players are at a disadvantage. This red marker on the reticule should persist vor a couple of days or more even if the ganker is destroyed and the bounty reset. Because old habits die hard.

I, as a would be Ganker killer/ bounty hunter, would be very attracted to the increased challenge they provide, the good pay, but also by the boost to another rank meter… something like what “CQC” wants/ or was envisaged to be. That rank alone should be incentive enough, being a real indicator of how “DANGEROUS” you really are. With one trick: only the good guys get to rank up this meter, not the psocho ganker that gets killed. No matter how good he is.
In the presence of such a system I predict that the gankers would build up in numbers, waiting for the bounty hunters sent for them. As I said, old habits die hard, and they would want to have the upper hand thus banding together while their “TERRORIST” rank increases, putting them higher and higher on the “MOST WANTED” list across the galaxy. They’ll try to set traps for the bounty hunters. But, based on the “TERORISTS” bounty and notoriety, they’ll know it is not a ones man job, and should prepare in groups, larger hunting parties. Creating the potential of spontaneous, epic battles. With all those involved knowing that this is one of the most dangerous thing you can get involved in. Custom tailored for thrill seekers.
It would open a myriad of possibilities, with traps… baits, ambushes aso. And most of all… meaningful rewards:

• Fast and dangerous PvP for those attracted to such endeavours.
  • Credits.
  • Notoriety for villains (Most wanted list) and a sense of accomplishment for the good guys. LATER EDIT: As it was pointed out, indeed, it is not for the fame the good CMDR does this, is about doing what is right. Maybe just announcing the galaxy that a known dangerous terrorist was put out, but not giving the name of the bounty hunter who did it, as it could also turn against the player at some point. Maybe it will be a generic name, the name of a man who doesn’t exist. Or who is long dead. But we are the ones continuing his “work”, helping the helpless … under his name, rendering him immortal.

The good guys should have their name broadcasted galaxy wide in the news bulletins, after defeating a high ranking TERRORIST. And there should also be a hall of fame, with the most proficient bounty hunters. An opposite to the “MOST WANTED” list if you will. Maybe even side by side with “MOST WANTED” with “BOUNTY HUNTERS HALL OF FAME”.
It would NOT be an end to ganking. But a reduction. Ganking with purpose… Of engaging in PvP that is. Elite in the open remains DANGEROUS as it should be. But not inviting senseless killings for the sake of it. Rather creating the “magnetism” between those who like PvP, outside of Powerplay.

Just my 2 cents. It would be kind of an end game.
Would you like for something similar to this system to be implemented?

Last edited:
The good guys should have their name broadcasted galaxy wide in the news bulletins, after defeating a high ranking TERRORIST. And there should also be a hall of fame, with the most proficient bounty hunters.

The above turns me off to your idea immensely. Player bounty hunting isn't about the fame or the rewards lavished upon your ego. It's about the thrill of the hunt and challenging yourself.

There's also a ton of resources in and out of the game right now you could already be using to hunt player bounties. Are you not familiar with them?

There are fundamental technical aspects that would need to be resolved, along with Frontier having to enforce rules more consistently, before such a system to be practical. As long as people can easily block each other (either via in-game tools or otherwise), log off mid encounter to save a vessel, or sever their or another's connections and reasonably expect to not be punished, this is sort of thing wouldn't work.

I'm also not keen on the game dictating who the "good" and "bad" guys are...that's entirely subjective to the situation and probably the participants. Law and criminality are more objective and any such systems should be phrased in such terms.

Bounties being used to exploit credits an issue, but it's solveable by making sure any credits are not created out of nothing by the game, that the bounty comes from someones credit balance.

At least, then it could only be used to transfer credits... (which FD don't like) and not, actually generate large amounts.

There's also a ton of resources in and out of the game right now you could already be using to hunt player bounties. Are you not familiar with them?

Do tell.

The above turns me off to your idea immensely. Player bounty hunting isn't about the fame or the rewards lavished upon your ego. It's about the thrill of the hunt and challenging yourself.

You have a valid point. Indeed, it is not for the fame, is about doing what is right when it comes to the good guys. Maybe just announcing the galaxy that a known dangerous terrorist was put out, but not giving the name of the bounty hunter who did it, as it could also turn against the player at some point. Maybe it will be a generic name, the name of a man who doesn’t exist. Or who is long dead. But we are the ones continuing his “work”, helping the helpless … under his name, rendering him immortal.

I’m only interested in what I can find in the game. I’m not a fan of ALT+TAB.

There are fundamental technical aspects that would need to be resolved, along with Frontier having to enforce rules more consistently, before such a system to be practical. As long as people can easily block each other (either via in-game tools or otherwise), log off mid encounter to save a vessel, or sever their or another's connections and reasonably expect to not be punished, this is sort of thing wouldn't work.

I'm also not keen on the game dictating who the "good" and "bad" guys are...that's entirely subjective to the situation and probably the participants. Law and criminality are more objective and any such systems should be phrased in such terms.

No one is innocent. I hear you. Indeed, it is about social and antisocial here. Good and evil doesn't exist... There must be some rules, in order to have what to enforce. It is not an easy feat, I know. But it could be something that solves the problems some have out there, while creating fun, engaging game-play for others. As close as I can imagine to a win-win... but it does need a lot of work and balancing.

No one is innocent. I hear you. Indeed, it is about social and antisocial here. Good and evil doesn't exist... There must be some rules, in order to have what to enforce. It is not an easy feat, I know. But it could be something that solves the problems some have out there, while creating fun, engaging game-play for others. As close as I can imagine to a win-win... but it does need a lot of work and balancing.
If it doesn't exist, it wouldn't hurt if somebody wanted to try to make it exist then

I really like this idea.

It would be cool if bounties could only be issued by squadrons. It would give more of an incentive to join a squadron. 😉
When word gets out not to mess with squadron members only the really dedicated would gank.

Last edited:
Simple. If a commander kills a non-wanted npc then the notoriety expires in 2 hours for each point as is.
But if a commander kills a non-wanted commander, then they get notoriety that is bound to the commander that does not expire and after they reach a higher notoriety then they can’t block players.

You only get this kind or notoriety for killing nonconsensual commanders, that seems fair to me

Whats in it for the gankers to participate and not just hiwake?

Also what about solo?

The red marker you refer to is the wanted tag that is alredy there...

Last edited:
Simple. If a commander kills a non-wanted npc then the notoriety expires in 2 hours for each point as is.
But if a commander kills a non-wanted commander, then they get notoriety that is bound to the commander that does not expire and after they reach a higher notoriety then they can’t block players.

You only get this kind or notoriety for killing nonconsensual commanders, that seems fair to me

Exactly! When you kill peaceful and law abiding CMDRs you forfeit your blocking rights. Also, you become visible to everyone you've blocked before. All in all, you become fair game for everyone.
The pressure is on and building up! Far less time for ganking at your disposal. No more time to kill peaceful low skilled pilots (or running trading/ exploration builds).

Whats in it for the gankers to participate and not just hiwake?

That's the point, the heat is on and building. The environment becomes more and more hostile, with a target painted on them. From illusive predators they become hunted, with high levels of pressure, knowing that highly trained combat pilots with formidable builds roam the area looking for them. Less time to gank, more fear factor for them... hiwaking is the desired result. Not basking relaxed in the coldness of space, waiting for the next helpless and unsuspecting victim.

Perhaps the "punishments" for criminally aligned CMDRs shouldn't be that harsh, but anything to encourage more healthy vs. in "player vs player" would be very much welcome. Nowadays "PvP" is more like "Player mopping the floor with a helpless and disabled wheelchair-bound player who has no hope in avoiding death at all."

Still, at least give the criminal CMDRs a reason to participate instead of making them all run off to make their own Mobius in private.

That’s a great concept have all the gankers/griefers start their own PG. How wonderful, They can all be in the same PG to fight it out.
How much fun it could be for all

Top Bottom