COMPLETED CG Repel the Thargoid attack in the Witch Head Nebula (AX-Combat)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
You be safe enough vs scouts with AX multicannons but I wouldn't recommend taking on an Interceptor without heavy engineering and a solid build.

There's a reason they're considered "end game" content.

You may struggle to hit Top 75% for the GFSD unlock as scouts only pay 10k per kill vs 2 mil upwards for Interceptors but it'll give you some practice if nothing else.

Hull tank as much as possible and try and fit a decon limpet controller as you'll invariably get sp*ked on at some point.

An AX fighter (if available on ship) is also a handy addition.

I'll be looking for wingups Sun onwards on PS4 to help newer AX players out.

Is this CG something a CMDR in an un-engineered ship can get in on? I’m Elite in trade so have access to Jameson Memorial, but haven’t encountered Thargoids personally. Is taking part with available stock outfitting viable?

I caught rumor in this forum (can't find post now) that some CMDRs are offering a daily ferry service between the Bubble and Witch Head. I don't do Discord, so if someone could post the name of the fleet carrier(s) running this service, the travel times, and arrival / departure systems, that would be wonderful! Also, do these FCs have a shipyard equipped?

Summary
System: Onoros
Station: Golden Stag (Megaship, large pads available, 63.66 Ls from main star, 905.89 Ly from Sol)
Objective: Hand in Combat Bonds after fighting the Thargoids
Time limit: 22nd October 3306 @ 06:00 UTC

Description
Thargoid vessels detected in Alliance-controlled systems within the Witch Head Enclave.
The Thargoids have reappeared in the Witch Head Nebula, and are swarming in large numbers through the Onoros, Lembass, Haki, Wellington and Shenve systems.
Sixteen systems within the nebula were colonised last year to form the Witch Head Enclave, after a successful initiative to locate fresh barnacle sites. This initially triggered a hostile reaction from the Thargoids, but their presence was relatively low until now.
Captain Warren Lamar, head of security for the Alliance Expeditionary Pact, put out an urgent call for assistance:

The Alliance Expeditionary Pact has confirmed that it will offer generous rewards to all Commanders who assist with destroying Thargoid vessels.
The top 75% of contributors will have Guardian Frame Shift Drive Boosters unlocked and a size four module put into storage for them at the Golden Stag by the 24th of October.
To be eligible for rewards, you must sign up as an active participant before handing in Combat Bonds at the Golden Stag in the Onoros system.
Please note that if you have any crew members, a portion of your combat bonds will be automatically assigned to them. These combat bonds will not count towards your personal contribution total, and your crew will receive the reward for their bonds when they are handed in. The proportion of combat bonds assigned to your crew will depend on their rank.
Be aware that faction-state changes and other disruptive events can negatively impact markets and station services, and could prevent the initiative from running smoothly.
Notes:
  • Station services: Commodities Market, Outfitting, Refuel, Restock, Repair
  • Nearest Shipyard: Karian Vision, Onoros (45 Ls)
Last updated: 17 October 10:20 UTC - passed tier 1
Current Progress:
Current Participation Rewards:
Global Progress: 17,065,721,100 credits earned
Contributors: 2,091
Reward Tier: 1/5
Global Reward:
One system protected (second @ tier 2)
Top 10 CMDRs: 16,000,000 CR
Top 10%: 10,000,000 CR
Top 25%: 6,000,000 CR
Top 50%: 4,000,000 CR
Top 75%: 2,000,000 CR
Top 100%: 200,000 CR
CG threshold tracking

Inara (https://inara.cz/galaxy-communitygoals/) tracks overall progress, your contributions and estimates tier boundaries.
Journal data (used to track progress) can be submitted via various third party tools or by direct journal imports on Inara. For more details see https://inara.cz/inara-api/.

New &/or have questions about the Community Goals? Check out the Community Goal Guide ... click here[/SIZE]
This is some kind of joke.. a trap... I go there lots of Gankers.. and nobody helps each other... Lost my ship 2 times already once to gankers and 2nd to Thargoids. The big ones.. they let the little ones sacrifice and put your ship in to caustic death then they finish you. This truly sucks.. i'm out of Onoros not going back.

Okay, so 1 hour in to the building session and I have a Krait MkII and a Vulture on the go and loaded up with AX Multi-Cannon and HRPs. Just completed the material gathering and unlocked Guardian Gauss Cannon and Guardian Module Reinforcement so once those are equipped it's a trip to see Ms Jean to get some engineered hulls going on ... possibly via a Material Trader ... enjoying having a purpose!

This is some kind of joke.. a trap... I go there lots of Gankers.. and nobody helps each other... Lost my ship 2 times already once to gankers and 2nd to Thargoids. The big ones.. they let the little ones sacrifice and put your ship in to caustic death then they finish you. This truly sucks.. i'm out of Onoros not going back.

Yes ... I do have a concern this may be my fate as well which is why I'm probably going to try my Vulture first ... more expendable!!

I'm always offering to help folks with scouts. I'm not a "big game" hunter myself, but there are helpful people out there - you just have to use "side channels" like this forum or Discord to find.

As for gankers, block them all and let instancing sort them out ;)

I caught rumor in this forum (can't find post now) that some CMDRs are offering a daily ferry service between the Bubble and Witch Head. I don't do Discord, so if someone could post the name of the fleet carrier(s) running this service, the travel times, and arrival / departure systems, that would be wonderful! Also, do these FCs have a shipyard equipped?

iu

Ha! Killed my first Viper MkIV using Guardian Gauss Cannon / AX Multi Cannon ... and only got 38k!!!

Yeh, I know that's really not the point but wanted to get some quick practice in ... TBH, I found the Gauss Cannon pretty decent when they hit but quite tricky to hit little ships so I'm thinking I'll go all-out-AX-MC for the Scout Hunting and then maybe transfer the Gauss Cannon down if I decide to do anything crazy ...

Is this CG something a CMDR in an un-engineered ship can get in on? I’m Elite in trade so have access to Jameson Memorial, but haven’t encountered Thargoids personally. Is taking part with available stock outfitting viable?

Yes you can hunt Scouts in Threat 3 and 4 NHSS quite easily in un-engineered ships. From the AXI ship build Wiki - Decent Hull, Decent Shields, Lots of AX Multi-Cannons, Decontamination Limpets. Common ships are Vulture, Chieftain, and Kraits, anything that can fit a large Multi-Cannon and is fast and tough is a good start. I also put a repair limpet controller on all my Scout hunters.

Normal Scouts can fly ~282 so it helps if your ship can fly faster than that for when you need to get some distance to decontaminate and/or repair the hull. I usually just boost away Flight Assist Off (FAO) until 4-5Km away from the pack and fire the limpet and let it work while I drift FAO. My un-engineered Vulture can only go 237 so I need to keep boosting to maintain the distance and it can be more difficult to get the limpet to attach in that case, but not too much.

Okay ... pretty much exhausted my engineering materials now ... so ... shield wise ... 558 MJ Bi Weave or 719 MJ A-Grade?

An un-engineered ship could take on Scouts successfully if fitted with up to 4 AX multicannons but it is a long or expensive haul to get there and they can be damaging to fight especially with the corrosive enzyme missiles. But if you could hitch a lift with a carrier it might be worth a try.

Just thought apparently any old Thargoid bonds will do so you could get some AX weapons at Jameson and try your hand in the bubble and hitch or jump out to hand in your bonds in a ship built for travelling .

Great idea.... worthy comment.

What ship is this for again?
Can you engineer the shields?

Bi-weaves, reinforced, fast charge.

Krait Mk II. I've engineered the shields as much as I can right now so I either have my pre-existing 6A G5 Reinforced shields (719 MJ with a single booster) or new 6C Bi-Weave G4 Reinforced (558 MJ with a single booster). I've solved the question by adding a second booster so now I have 740 MJ from the Bi Weaves. :) That combined with 3200 hull is about as much as I can get to at the moment with out some serious mat grinding that would mean I miss the CG.

Also rocking 4x AX MC and a single G5 Overcharged normal MC. Not thrilled about them being turreted (why isn't there an option for turrets to only fire when I press the button, dammit?!!) but better that fixed with my skills, I would imagine.

Also have a 2E cargo rack full of limpets for my 1E decontamination controller to use.

What can possible go wrong ....

@ZAKALWEINC8876 @Achtung-Goomba @ADAMtheWELSHMANz

Okay ...

Anti-Xeno Krait Mk II "Vengeful Whisper" (740 Bi-Weaves / 3200 Hull / 4x AX MC / Decon Limpets) docked aboard the "Pride of Wales" ready to ship out for action!

Backup Vulture 'Tiny Dancer" (630 Bi-Weaves / 2380 Hull / 2x AX MC) in transit and will be aboard in approx. 15 minutes.

Also got a couple of Guardian Gauss Cannon transferring aboard just in case ... :)

Signing off the night but will disembark at some point tomorrow and find somewhere to park! Probably won't be on for actual fighting until Mon eve, though.

o7

Oh well, just got my first interceptor kill - a Cyclops of course - using gauss cannons and fa off mostly...
On PC - kb/m makes fa off so much easier than a controller on XB

Using this Challenger - the lr beam venting turret didn't see much usage - i hoped i can keep my ship cool enough, but well... heatsinks
And using all small gausses - just me being dumb and failed to unlock the medium gauss cannon - no idea what was i thinking back then when i did the guardians unlocking trip :D

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom