Retreat: BGS guide best current thinking

Say you were trying to put a faction into retreat after they have had a war, will their pending take place after the cool down or during?

Say you were trying to put a faction into retreat after they have had a war, will their pending take place after the cool down or during?

You'd need to have the cool down timer pass, and then add another 24h at least to see the Retreat go pending. If you instantly equalise with another MF after the previous conflict is over you won't see a Retreat happen, even if the MF in question is at 1.0%.

If I want to stop a retreat in a system where a faction is already pending retreat (or in retreat), without creating a conflict in another system, then...

...I can raise their inf in the system they are pending retreat in. But, if doing that causes a conflict in that system, what happens to the retreat?

Does it stay pending and then resume pending after the conflict is over?

Jane Turner

Volunteer Moderator
Once pending the retreat will go ahead (though I expect you can cancel it the same way as expansion can be). If you are over 2.5 it will just come and go.

Jane Turner

Volunteer Moderator
and because of the varying tick times for different systems, sometimes its the tick before the last one that matters.

Update for 3.3, having gone through a few months of Census data, Retreat in 3.3 seems to be very straightforward:
- 1 tick pending (caused by going below 2.5% influence when at least four factions are present)
- exactly 6 ticks active
If the influence on the 6th active tick is < 2.5% the faction leaves the system at the end of that day, otherwise it stays.

Update for 3.3, having gone through a few months of Census data, Retreat in 3.3 seems to be very straightforward:
  • 1 tick pending (caused by going below 2.5% influence when at least four factions are present)
  • exactly 6 ticks active
If the influence on the 6th active tick is < 2.5% the faction leaves the system at the end of that day, otherwise it stays.

This.

I have experimented something strange by retreating two MFs. Maybe someone can help me to understand what was wrong.

There is a system very close to the one where we are going to expand. This system is small (20k population) and it is easy to force the retreat of MFs.
I tried with with several factions at the same time, and finally I managed to put two MFs in retreat but not at the same time.

After the first day in retreat, the behaviour of both factions was similar, going to 5-6% INF.

One faction got the boom state in the second day. And the other faction in the 6th day.
At the end of the 6h day, both factions were at 1%.
On the 7th day, the both MF have the same behavior. The going to retreat recovery and the next day to retreat pending again. But the Boom state is still there.
It means:
MF1 : Retreat --> Retreat + Boom --> Retreat + Boom --> Retreat + Boom --> Retreat + Boom --> Retreat + Boom --> Boom --> Boom --> Retreat + Boom
MF2 : Retreat --> Retreat --> Retreat --> Retreat --> Retreat --> Retreat + Boom --> Boom --> Boom --> Retreat + Boom

Can Boom state interrupts the retreat?
Does it make sense Boom at 1%?
Should I keep the inflence below 2.5% for the whole period or it is needed only the 6th day?
What could be done to avoid this?

Thank you

Should I keep the inflence below 2.5% for the whole period or it is needed only the 6th day?
1. Nope. Boom is an economic state, retreat is a... err... "movement" state. I don't know what the generic term is... but it's not an economic state.
2. Sure. 1% influence means 1% of the systems population support a faction. There's no reason that 1% can't have a strong economic system.
3. Afaik yes.. you need to keep influence below 2.5% all the time.
4. Avoid boom you mean? Good luck. Negative economic effects are next to impossible to achieve. Can be done, if there's nobody else supporting. If they move to boom, that means someone is actively supporting them, directly or indirectly. You're SOL trying to compete against that because antagonistic activity is broken, especially against economic strength.

3. Afaik yes.. you need to keep influence below 2.5% all the time.
Ok. This might be the reason. Thank you.

I have wrongly understood the point: "If the influence on the 6th active tick is < 2.5% the faction leaves the system at the end of that day, otherwise it stays. "
I've thought that <2.5 % was only relevant in the 6th day.

Now, both factions are in 2.6% and 2.5%.
Does it mean that I failed again?

It is quite hard to force the retreat in small systems. The MFs go easily to <2.5% but continuously for 6-7 days means a lot of work.

I experienced MF in Retreat state for over a week because they were present in another system in a state of Civil War or Boom. Can't remember which but it was one of these 2.

Prior to this, the same MF retreated from another system but somehow expanded back into the system - idk how.

Prior to this, the same MF retreated from another system but somehow expanded back into the system - idk how.
Retreat makes expansions back into the system lower priority, but if they're already present in every other possible target, they'll go for ones they've previously retreated from.

Hi,

A faction I'm trying to retreat is at 3.1% inf on tick 6. Retreat is still active though. Is this the normal behaviour? Or do I maybe have one more shot to get them below 2.5%?

A faction I'm trying to retreat is at 3.1% inf on tick 6. Retreat is still active though. Is this the normal behaviour? Or do I maybe have one more shot to get them below 2.5%?
If it's tick 6, then there's probably nothing you can do but try again - any earlier, and you could have pushed them back down this time.

(Though people have occasionally reported anomalous retreats lasting 7 ticks instead, so you may as well give it a go - worst case, it gets them started on the next one sooner)

Top Bottom