Return to Jurassic Park: Retrospective

Having had time to obtain and play a copy of Operation Genesis while my laptop was out for repairs, I started to understand why some of the responses to the expansion were mixed.
Even though, there are aspects of Evolution that succeed where Genesis lacked for constraints (of the time that the game was released), I would say that the building diversity and functionality of Genesis was far more impressive than what we received in the Return to JP expansion.

While I now understand that the majority of the buildings in the game are actually spiritual successors to ones featured in Genesis, I feel like their exclusivity to the Jurassic World theme is unfounded and makes the Jurassic Park theme almost frustrating to revisit. Sure, only having the Land Rover tours is more of a challenge but, where is the line drawn between creative liberties/design choice and cut corners (though I would like the believe that the devs didn't intentionally leave JP mode lacking in some areas).

The areas I'm referring to of course (as all of the OG community are probably well aware at this point) are the lack of the Viewing Platform and the Viewing Vent in Jurassic Park mode.
When it comes to JP mode, I don't know how the devs expected the replay value of the expansion to share that of the vanilla game with just the Land Rovers and the Aviary once the novelty/nostalgia for the story mode wore off.

Sure the Land Rovers are cool but, we can't be expected to maintain a park on those alone. Until you realize that you're stuck with the equivalent to a model train set under an Xmas tree as an attraction for the first quarter of your 1993 challenge mode playthrough, you probably took the presence of the Viewing Platforms and the Observation Galleries for granted (I know I did).

qNBbSyM.jpg
If you really think about it, the fact that you need to risk scrapping an entire Safari track to add more sections every single time you want more dinosaurs is extremely inconvenient and time consuming (considering you have to shut down your main source of income in order to continue building your park).
Prior to playing Genesis, I was under the impression that the JWE devs were just uncertain as to how to design the viewing buildings to make them fit into the 1993 theme but, I didn't know that the buildings in JWE were directly inspired by Operation Genesis.

BifC29o.jpg
aU5tHPU.png

Being directly influenced by OG is one thing but, actually seeing the designs of them in-game, Frontier could honestly, just replicate them as they appeared in OG with little to no change in their designs.
To be honest, when it comes to the OG Viewing Platform, I kind of like the idea of having 4 available viewing areas because it almost mirrors how the aviary had multiple camera feeds.

While I would like to see these features come to JP mode in a future update, the pessimist in me is sadly doubtful that we will get it since its not tacked to a priced DLC.
My thoughts on the lack of the core game mechanics in JP mode are somewhat split because part of me believes that we COULD have got viewing areas in the expansion but, didn't because they weren't worked on during the development window in favor of alot of the bells and whistles that padded out the expansion (all the alternate dinosaur skins, the useless East Dock sign, all those blueprints that were supposedly looked at to make the Visitor Center accurate) and thus we won't get the viewing areas. Basically, I'm speculating that the content in the expansion was a matter of quantity over quality.

There's definitely some areas where you can see that some corners may have been cut though it could have simply been an oversight.
On the 1993 Sorna map, the mountains on the right half of the map (outside of the playable area) isn't textured.
TwEY0vZ.png

There's also no pre-placed Redwoods on the map but, that's just a nitpick.​

HOWEVER, I'm not saying that no care went into the development of the expansion, far from that. I'm just saying that it seemed like the allocation of resources seemed a bit near sighted when compared to what we could have had in-game because they COULD have been working on the viewing areas but, they might have not been completed on time and (using modern game developer logic) won't come later if they can't be profited off of.

The other side of me believes that, we COULD still get the viewing areas for JP mode if they are worked on in conjunction with a new priced dinosaur pack to justify the cost of working on something we already paid for as a free DLC. There hasn't been a time that I didn't pay for more dinosaurs so far. So there is some hope that we could get viewing areas for JP mode.

One other aspect I wanted to touch on was how..."meh" the Sandbox starting areas were made for Jurassic World mode. I get there was an implied underlying story for why the Operation Center (the Security Center model) was used for starting area on Nublar North but, why is it just tacked onto all of the 1993 maps?
lFKtwAQ.png
When it comes to Sorna 93, it looks like there was a very obvious place for the monorail station but, instead we get the Op Center just plopped off to the side with no real context for why we have to use this ugly cluster of blocks as our park entrance. If we were allowed to place the entrances freely around the park, I might be able to forgive it but, there isn't even a real explanation for how guests are coming out of it (no helipad or anything). With the Claire's Sanctuary expansion, it was implied that it was a covert operation for a recovery team (kind of like in Lost World) but, for just making park, it just doesn't look like any real thought went into it. But, for some reason, when playing Pena on JP mode, the docks are removed (so you can't even pretend that the East Dock sign could be used there).

It's also kind of odd that there isn't any actual functionality for the Raptor Pen outside of story mode. I thought maybe there would have been a difference between JP mode and JW mode where you could only incubate Velociraptors and Deinonychus from the Raptor Pen (which isn't the case). Its purely decoration outside of the story mode.

I mentioned this in another post already but, I think its pretty weird that the ability to airdrop in new dinosaurs is exclusive to the story mode. It seemed like something that would have been perfect for sandbox mode but, ultimately turned out to be a big missed opportunity to have the option between hatcheries and airdrops.

Additionally, the limit to one helipad also seemed off. A limit of two would have been nice but, not something I would lose sleep over.

I also thought it was odd that there's an option to change the paint job of the Rangers (despite there only being one available).
rh1N7oB.jpg

There IS an official design for a blue color swap of the Ranger but, I guess its another thing that either didn't cross anyone's minds or potentially could be part of a paid DLC.
Maybe something that could come as an addition for both JW and JP mode down the line.
I also don't see any reason for why we can't have all dinosaurs available for JP mode outside of sandbox mode. It takes away so much replay value from 1993 challenge mode (on top of the lack of viewing areas).
One last thing that I won't go too in-depth about since I dedicated a whole topic to it, I really hate that the devs flexed how authentic they made the Visitor Center and yet they didn't make the front door functional.
OpjKXib.jpg
How does one let that slide? I mean...if they couldn't get the guests to walk up the stairs and just couldn't be bothered to program it in, that's one thing but, to just not allow any connection to the front door is just mind-boggling to me and the more I play the game, the more glaring and frustration it becomes to me (especially since they gave the Innovation Center like a dozen different entrances to connect).

To be honest, the expansion was okay but, having seen what we could have had coupled with what could have been executed differently, the expansion could have been better.​

Well, in regards to the viewing structures, I don’t believe there were anymore in development beyond the Park Tour because Frontier, from what I’ve gathered since last year, strive to provide the best film series authentic style experience, this wanted to give a tangible recreation of that the original park’s experience was meant to be.

The original Park was made to be like a purely made safari attraction, whereas the new Park was made to be like a gigantic modern zoo.

But if they do decide to add more viewing structures in the JP era, which they can, I guarantee you they will want to go for their own designs. They are not affiliated with other companies that make other JP series games, meaning won’t intended to copy any exclusive trademark design from another game that isn’t theirs. They can take inspirations from them, but they won’t copy and paste in that sense.

It is worth noting the gameplay per era is different in the management sense. Dino visibility dosn’t matter too much in the JW era if you wanted a high park rating, but the JP has a huge emphasis in dino visibility over everything else if you wanted a high park rating. The cars themselves can do only so much, but with the binoculars researched, you can cover up a huge range that can move around.

Also, I don’t think it’s because they have a hard time making guests walk on elevated structures, as I think that existed since day one with the Innovation Center, something that I tried to vaguely tried to say in that other thread of yours, I think it was just a design choice to make it look more like what it did in the film. Still, that doesn’t mean they won’t ever decide to add that feature to it.

Well, in regards to the viewing structures, I don’t believe there were anymore in development beyond the Park Tour because Frontier, from what I’ve gathered since last year, strive to provide the best film series authentic style experience, this wanted to give a tangible recreation of that the original park’s experience was meant to be.

The original Park was made to be like a purely made safari attraction, whereas the new Park was made to be like a gigantic modern zoo.

But if they do decide to add more viewing structures in the JP era, which they can, I guarantee you they will want to go for their own designs. They are not affiliated with other companies that make other JP series games, meaning won’t intended to copy any exclusive trademark design from another game that isn’t theirs. They can take inspirations from them, but they won’t copy and paste in that sense.

It is worth noting the gameplay per era is different in the management sense. Dino visibility dosn’t matter too much in the JW era if you wanted a high park rating, but the JP has a huge emphasis in dino visibility over everything else if you wanted a high park rating. The cars themselves can do only so much, but with the binoculars researched, you can cover up a huge range that can move around.

Also, I don’t think it’s because they have a hard time making guests walk on elevated structures, as I think that existed since day one with the Innovation Center, something that I tried to vaguely tried to say in that other thread of yours, I think it was just a design choice to make it look more like what it did in the film. Still, that doesn’t mean they won’t ever decide to add that feature to it.

So true.

And also if you want these features just play the JW era. Don't know why people bring this up...

Maybe the other viewing buildings can be added in if they go for a '97 dlc. And if they do add that, hopefully it will be merged with the '93 mode and not it's own third standalone era. I've said before I can see them making the high hide as a viewing tower. And those camo mercedes cars as a skin swap for the jurassic tour would be awesome. Add the ingen hunter jeeps as ranger skin swaps. Maybe make the double trailer the new visitor center.

So true.

And also if you want these features just play the JW era. Don't know why people bring this up...
I mean, I used to not get why people kept bringing that game up but, now that I've played it, I get it.
also, I stated that I didn't like the JW era in some aspects because there's details that could have been executed better but, simply dropped the ball.
Namely how bland all the starting areas are after the Sanctuary expansion; they just plopped the Security Center building in random places on the map instead of adding monorail spots or a helipad equivalent to make JW sandbox more freeform and less restricted to where the Op Center is.

Also, I like the JP era more than JW but, they restricted what dinosaurs you could make. I get the Indos and the hybrids would have to be cut but, aside from them, there was no reason to really cut the other dinosaurs.

Furthermore, this doesn't change that I need to make a Xmas train track as the one real means of playing Challenge mode until you're financially stable.

Last edited:
If all dinosaur get added to jp era challenge mode i don't see any reason why hybrids need to be restricted, and personally rather they didn't. They are on sandbox mode in that era like all the other dinosaurs. That said i barely use hybrids, so it wouldn't be the end of the world if they excluded them.

What you see in RTJP is what you saw in the movies. There were no viewing galleries in the movies. Just the safari tour.

Also none of the doors on any of the buildings open. Why should the JP visitor center be different? I think it's kind of a let down that we can't have a path that connects to the vistor center and the guest can go up the stairs. I don't really need the doors to open. I don't pay that much attention to the doors. But having the guests enter and leave through side doors is a bit odd looking.

What you see in RTJP is what you saw in the movies. There were no viewing galleries in the movies. Just the safari tour.

Also none of the doors on any of the buildings open. Why should the JP visitor center be different? I think it's kind of a let down that we can't have a path that connects to the vistor center and the guest can go up the stairs. I don't really need the doors to open. I don't pay that much attention to the doors. But having the guests enter and leave through side doors is a bit odd looking.
The movie does show the river tour as well during the meal/meeting right after the raptor pen, on one of the display screens.

Well, there were barely any dinosaur in the movie either, weren't they? What a ridiculous point, really... no offense intended, but it's pretty clear not even JP could expect living long with just the Safari Tour, which on top of that didn't work that well (no dino was easily visible from it).
Besides, the movie was inspired by the novel, and both observed further Park attractions and designs for it's future. No reason why they shouldn't be worked on. The Park is open ;)

There was still no mentioning of viewing galleries in either the movies or the books. The DLC is based on the movies. So of course no viewing galleries. You can use the JW era for that.

I'd actually use the mixed era mod for that, but I still don't have the dlc. Anyway, 'viewing galleries' need not be named such. Both JP and Isla Nubla were intended for beatuiful sights. I bet there were several places on the island designed for having some looks at both the natural landscape and some dinosaurs, hotels for instance: the novel does mention about the Pteratops Lodge. That also sounds as a viewing gallery to me.

Top Bottom