Newcomer / Intro Returning player now with VR headset. can't see keyboard

Hi, I'm back after a multi-year sulk waiting to learn if a bug got fixed, and it has, apparently, ages ago...

Anyway, I bought a cheap VR headset the OSVR HDK2, and, like WOW, VR is the difference between a picture of a thing and being there.

My headset came with no special controllers - it's "just" a head-mounted display, and I've been wondering how to configure the RL controls so I can play blind, as it were.

I already had my beloved (ancient) Sidewinder Precision 2 joystick. I have acquired a CH Pro Throttle thinking that would be good for my left hand to be able to do a lot. However - and remember I haven't played for years - I can't accomplish the simplest things. The mouse works in the game menus but not when I need to exit a hangar or launch or whatever. I've run out of buttons and hats on joystick and throttle and still it's a mess e.g. landing gear is stuck down :D.. it never ends. Also, I am concerned that the two controllers are actually sharing the same identifiers "JOY3" button is apparently on both devices - are they separate? Am I jsut doing it wrong?

I'm prepared to put the VR away and play on my screen; it was just an experimental purchase.

The mouse works in the game menus but not when I need to exit a hangar or launch or whatever. I've run out of buttons and hats on joystick and throttle and still it's a mess e.g. landing gear is stuck down :D.. it never ends. Also, I am concerned that the two controllers are actually sharing the same identifiers "JOY3" button is apparently on both devices - are they separate?

Yes most likely they are separate it's just one of those annoyances of the game.

I wouldn't recommend trying to start in VR with the mouse - some people have got on with it fine but most do not, mainly down to the way the galaxy map works (make sure you have grid lines turned on by the way).

Don't forget on your stick and throttle you can use modifier or "shift" keys i.e. you hold down one key whilst pressing another to gain extra functions. Just having two shift keys can significantly increase the number of functions you can access.

I already had my beloved (ancient) Sidewinder Precision 2 joystick. I have acquired a CH Pro Throttle thinking that would be good for my left hand to be able to do a lot. However - and remember I haven't played for years - I can't accomplish the simplest things. The mouse works in the game menus but not when I need to exit a hangar or launch or whatever. I've run out of buttons and hats on joystick and throttle and still it's a mess e.g. landing gear is stuck down :D.. it never ends. Also, I am concerned that the two controllers are actually sharing the same identifiers "JOY3" button is apparently on both devices - are they separate? Am I jsut doing it wrong?

I'm prepared to put the VR away and play on my screen; it was just an experimental purchase.

Inside the binds file the joysticks are correctly identified by name - in the menu screen they are not.

You should find that using the POV hat will move your highlighted item up or down by default and of course your fire button 1 is the default for "activating" that selection (same as the space bar).

I use the CHPro Throttle and you can bind a lot to that - I use their Fighterstick with it so my assignments would be of no use to you but you can have a look at the published bindings listed on EDRefCard site -there will probably be one that could suit you. https://edrefcard.info/

Welcome back.

P.S. Many VR users say that they find Voice Attack invaluable.

I have a small Logitech wireless keyboard for extras that aren't linked to my HOTAS. I use stick-on velcro to help find important keys when I'm playing blind. Of course I still have to lift headset if I need to do any real typing.

I'll take heart from the advice so far, and persevere with my setup. Cheers for the link to mappings and yeah, voice attack seems like a good thing.

Re the keyboard - does the OSVR HDK2 have a virtual keyboard like the Rift (Dash)?

Sounds like a good idea, but I'm not aware of such a thing for my setup.

I've just remembered that the OSVR HDK2 uses SteamVR so you might be able to use Steam VR's Virtual Keyboard to type in the galaxy map (unless that requires Vive-specific controllers).

You don'thave to worry about the button assignments where it says joy1 for both controllers. Somehow it knows the difference, thogh if you have two identical controllers and unplug one, they can switch sides when you plug it in, which makes flying your ship interesting.

Top Bottom