Ships Returning player - ship advice!

Hi!
I last played at launch (well before Horizons, Powerplay etc) —> On a PC with a Thrustmaster Hotas Joystick.
I’m NOW playing again several years on....on the XBox One.
I’ve progressed from Sidewinder to a Cobra Mk3 with 44T Cargo space, A rated FSD, Bi-weave shields and mostly D rated other internals. And 2 million credits spare for now.

Can I ask some for some advice on how to progress?
1) Hardware question first — is the Thrustmaster Hotas for Xbox One worth getting? (Bounty Hunting etc...)?
2) Ship —> should I stick with my Cobra —> A Rate it and aim to rush to unlock Felicity Farseer for FSD engineering? Or should I not be messing around with Engineers this early on?
3) Powerplay - how hard is it on unlock Prismatic Shields? This looks the only faction upgrade worth unlocking?
4) Imperial Courier - I want to try and unlock and mess around in this ship....which engineers are most needed to upgrade it well? And will it be easier to unlock them in the Cobra before I switch over? It’s this ship I’d wonder about a Prismatic Shield for....since it’s got such a nice looking shield for a small ship.
5) Weapon question - are engineered (Efficient) plasma accelerators x 3 a good option for the Courier? If so, how hard is Nemo to unlock?

Last time round I had two ships an Asp Explorer and a Type 9 heavy ..... This time round I want to try and Maxout the Cobra, Courier and Vulture. Small ships!

Thanks...and sorry for so many questions :(

Never too early to start engineering. The Cobra is fine for starting down that rabbit hole.

For the Courier I'd say the most vital engineers will be thrusters, shields and whichever weapons you want to mount. FSD is important too, but that probably goes without saying.

Engineering in PvE will make you overpowered and might even ruin the fun if you only want to fight NPCs. In Open, engineering will give you the ability to escape most PvP situations if you choose.

Prismatics: All PP weapons are equally difficult/easy to unlock.
  1. Pledge to power
  2. In week 3 farm 750 merits so you're rank 3 by week 4. I have a method for efficient merit farming I can share.
  3. Buy power's module in week 4

Yes, you may start right away.
Http://Inara.cz is a nice ressource to check what's necessary to unlock the engineers.
You need to craft some modules to level them up so you might theorycraft your wanted courier in http://coriolis.io. and use your Cobra to equip and engineer that modules you later put on the courier.
For example you level Felicitas with your class 4 FSD from the Cobra which also can equip and get engineered a class 3A FSD for the courier.
Hope this was explained understandable :)

Since your interested in small ships, I have a blockade Runner Dolphin build you might like.

It can take 46 tonnes w/ 4 tonnes corrosive resistant with scoop. Or 62 tonnes w/ 20 tonnes corrosive resistant if you don't need the scoop.

Endurance is 5 jumps at 45Ly with 46 tonnes or, 42.9Ly with 62 tonnes. And she can boost to just over 590m/s.

She is also not without teeth, packing a pair of Long Range Oversized rail guns.

Blockade Runner Dolphin

As a small ship pilot, I can really recommend the T6. I made a fortune (and ranked up well with the factions, which helped with later ship unlocks) using it as a light trader. With a sensible loadout it can haul 80T or so, enough for various trade missions, and can push it to 104T for local hops to take particular missions. With engineering it is fast, manoeuvrable, lands anywhere. Still use mine loads. And my main explorer is an Asp Scout, again when engineered it's a hoot. If you get the Guardian FSD booster then your range is enormous on some ships. I have one on the Asp - with that and an SRV bay it goes anywhere and quickly. Love my small ships!!

Hi!
I last played at launch (well before Horizons, Powerplay etc) —> On a PC with a Thrustmaster Hotas Joystick.
I’m NOW playing again several years on....on the XBox One.
I’ve progressed from Sidewinder to a Cobra Mk3 with 44T Cargo space, A rated FSD, Bi-weave shields and mostly D rated other internals. And 2 million credits spare for now.

Can I ask some for some advice on how to progress?
1) Hardware question first — is the Thrustmaster Hotas for Xbox One worth getting? (Bounty Hunting etc...)?
2) Ship —> should I stick with my Cobra —> A Rate it and aim to rush to unlock Felicity Farseer for FSD engineering? Or should I not be messing around with Engineers this early on?
3) Powerplay - how hard is it on unlock Prismatic Shields? This looks the only faction upgrade worth unlocking?
4) Imperial Courier - I want to try and unlock and mess around in this ship....which engineers are most needed to upgrade it well? And will it be easier to unlock them in the Cobra before I switch over? It’s this ship I’d wonder about a Prismatic Shield for....since it’s got such a nice looking shield for a small ship.
5) Weapon question - are engineered (Efficient) plasma accelerators x 3 a good option for the Courier? If so, how hard is Nemo to unlock?

Last time round I had two ships an Asp Explorer and a Type 9 heavy ..... This time round I want to try and Maxout the Cobra, Courier and Vulture. Small ships!

Thanks...and sorry for so many questions :(

Hey man. Welcome back. Sooo...
1)thrustmaster for xbox is crap. dont buy it. Go for an elite controller version 2 for the best xbox controller.

2) FSD upgrades are the most useful engineering so go for it.

3) its probably too early for PP but go ahead and pledge to Aisling Duval. There is a month waiting period before you can be eligible to start getting them anyway.

4) professor pailin. Thruster upgrades are the best for IC

5) yes and bill turner is who you want for PAs

Good luck o7

Hey man. Welcome back. Sooo...
1)thrustmaster for xbox is crap. dont buy it. Go for an elite controller version 2 for the best xbox controller.

2) FSD upgrades are the most useful engineering so go for it.

3) its probably too early for PP but go ahead and pledge to Aisling Duval. There is a month waiting period before you can be eligible to start getting them anyway.

4) professor pailin. Thruster upgrades are the best for IC

5) yes and bill turner is who you want for PAs

Good luck o7
Why is the Thrustmaster Hotas worse for the Xbox? It worked well for the PC? Is something different?

Why is the Thrustmaster Hotas worse for the Xbox? It worked well for the PC? Is something different?
After a few weeks the sensors inside the gimbal start to tear up. They begin dragging your ship one way or another and eventually it becomes useless. I believe the only difference between the two versions is just software; but for some reason you almost never see any PC players complain about it. My personal belief is because it's super cheap for PC users to buy one plus they loads of other options if it turns out to be crap. I have owned 3 xbox one hotas and all three failed within 3- 5 weeks. I've attempted DIY fixes on it that failed. Some people have reported being able to fix it however. By the time those fixes were discovered I had long since refunded and threw it to the trash heap so i cant personally attest to how effective it is. If you do fo the hotas route i wish you the best of luck. I really do. Some people have had one for years and never had a problem and maybe you'll be one of them. There is an entire thread devoted to just this topic which I will give a link here in just a moment.

There's no rush to start Engineers so early in the career, IMHO. Upgrade the Cobra for now, play naturally and acquire materials passively for later.

You can get access to enhanced thruster upgrades from Prof Palin IIRC, for Vipers and such, no engineering.

When you have the time and money, look at a Diamondback Explorer as a travelling mission ship, and a Keelback as a good little miner. I have an old time railgun DBS, which is a blast to fight in. Small ships are the most fun for me.

Most of my vessels are customized with Engineering but not necessarily to be uberpowered. Better FSD is a quality of life thing for all ships, and you might enjoy just making a standard ship tweaked to your taste. A cold running smuggle Cobra, a long range exploring Asp Scout, a shield tank Courier are ideas to look at.

Top Bottom