Returning player... worth grabbing oddysy now?

Ive been playing since the release but i took a long break when oddssey released, but this new narrative update has got me interested again but seems you need the new expension to witness it all properly. With what FDEV say about merging the code and ED becoming a PC game only, is it still worth getting? Has the game got plenty more life left and way more content coming?

The DLC is currently not on sale hence plunging £30 i want some consideration and opinions. I assume this thread will also help others in the same boat as me

Itll be good what you guys think.

I've not gone back to playing Horizons (apart from moving my FC on my laptop) since EDO was released, so it has given me plenty of hours play already, it just depends on the player's choice, I like the variety of on-foot play, the new lighting and tenuous atmosphere bodies, others don't.

At least Horizons 4.0 will enable you to take part in the non-EDO specific narrative, as well as indicate if your PC might run EDO smoothly (EDO is more demanding on hardware)

I like Odyssey so much, I have three CMDRs. And I was the guy not interested in on foot stuff, but the day before release I took the plunge with my main CMDR and not regretted it.

I like being able to do stuff on foot, like restoring power to bases and taking out the criminal occupants of settlements. Many like the covert thefts and heists. Then there are the assassinations. Do you walk up to the target and draw your silenced weapon, then stroll without a care in the world to your off planet transport? Or do you find a high spot with your silenced sniper rifle? Ground combat is less forgiving then ship combat. Make a mistake or get unlucky and you get casevac'd to return once patched up.

Team play also feels much different on foot. You get to rely on your team mate(s) more.

I recommend Odyssey, but then again, I am biased as I like it and have had few problems.

Steve 07

Ive been playing since the release but i took a long break when oddssey released, but this new narrative update has got me interested again but seems you need the new expension to witness it all properly. With what FDEV say about merging the code and ED becoming a PC game only, is it still worth getting? Has the game got plenty more life left and way more content coming?

The DLC is currently not on sale hence plunging £30 i want some consideration and opinions. I assume this thread will also help others in the same boat as me

If you have waited this long & still have to ask I'd say the answer is no. Try out the Horizons 4.0 client when it is released, you'll be able to see what the performance is like on your hardware. Odyssey has more planets to land on, and more gameplay loops. If they appeal & cost isn't a factor you won't lose anything by getting it.

I am out exploring & the plant scanning activity and extra landable planets mean that many more systems have more things I could choose to do in them for example.

Honestly, I haven't checked in a while, but I doubt it, leastwise not for my niche setup. 🤷‍♂️

And... 27 FPS in the main menu hanger. That's with SLI though, so you'd likely be better off unless you're running 660s or something.

🍻

Last edited:
I bought ED and Horizons in September 2020 and played nearly every day for the 9 months prior to Odyssey release. I preordered Odyssey the day before release and started playing a day or two later. In the first few weeks I may have gone back to Horizons a handful of times as many of the QOL and optimizations we were used to were missing in Ody.

Since the first few patches came out I have not loaded Horizons and have been playing Odyssey exclusively for over a year now.

I really enjoy the game and the variety of things to do all around, both in space and on foot, but it does still have some bugs and it does require stronger hardware than Horizons. I have a Ryzen 3700X, 16 GB DDR4 3200 RAM and an RTX 2060 and I play on a G-Sync compatible 1440p monitor using Ultra graphics presets and I get over 100 fps in space and usually 30 to 60 on foot depending on location. A VR setup will require more horse power.

It is expected that the v4.0 Horizons client will have similar performance.

The performance/lack of performance has caused FDev to drop releasing Odyssey on consoles, both previous and current gen. Console account players have the option to transfer their account's content, nearly completely from what I understand, to PC and will receive a free license for PC Horizons, and will still be able to play on their console accounts.

The planetary graphics have been redone which is one of the areas of contention between Horizons and Odyssey for some number of players. The on foot implementation and game loops are another and there are other areas of contention as well.

The suggestion above about waiting for the v4.0 Horizons client is a good one. It should be out within the next few weeks and then console account transfers will begin in earnest in September. The v4.0 client shoud give you a good indication of what Odyssey will look like and how the performance is on your hardware.

Update 13 changed some things in the game and its narrative, and I'm not sure we know the full extent of it yet. After console transfers, the next part of the current narrative begins in November. And there is a planned "Feature Overhaul" coming in 2023, but we don't know what that is yet, suspected to be Ship Engineering game loops, but again nobody outside of FDev knows.

FDev have also recently released some ship kits for the first time in forever.

There is also a somewhat reasonable rumor that another DLC may be forthcoming next year or the year after but nothing has been officially announced and the only indication is a line in a financial report/filing IIRC.

Last edited:
The game is definitely worth it now. If you liked Horizons, I you will definitely like Odyssey as it has everything that Horizons has, plus "space legs" and all that entails (planetary surface settlements and associated missions, on-foot exobiology, station concourses, etc.). I find all the new Odyssey content adds to the immersion quite a bit. The only caveat is performance: Odyssey is a 2021 release, so its minimum hardware requirements have been boosted quite a bit from the base game's 2014 requirements. Frontier have made some good progress with optimization, but the game is still more demanding than Horizons and will probably remain so. Fortunately, Frontier has put EDO on Geforce Now, so if your hardware struggles you can run it via that cloud gaming service where it plays just fine on high settings. Lastly, we don't know what the future holds, but U13 seems to be the start of some good things for EDO. My gut tells me that Frontier finally has a grip on the game and are now ready to start having some fun with it. 🤞

Long short: it's a "buy" from me. Perhaps wait for a sale but definitely get it at some point.

Personally, I'd wait for a sale. Odyssey has improved a lot since launch, but the content included is not worth the full price.

The FPS component of Odyssey is a mediocre. The ground combat zones feel and play like a 1990s Unreal Tournament match. The "open world" missions from the mission board are repetitive and cannot hold a candle to a purpose-build game (e.g. sneaky stuff: Cyberpunk, Loot&Shoot Fallout etc.). There's the argument that no other game includes those missions in an open world scenario and within the BGS dynamics...but still, I'd rather play a purpose-build game for that experience than Elite (not to mention the RL time I need to invest in Elite to actually get where I need to be to play the content when compared to Cyberpunk or Fallout)

Exobiology comes with a set number of different plant types and their color variants. After a while you're just scanning the same plants in a different color on a different planet. That being said, it's not that bad, because at least it adds some content to exploration. Planets with atmosphere are nice to look at and open more space for exploration.

Walking in Fleet Carriers is a nice gimmick, but I feel FDev missed an opportunity here (more customization options for the interior spaces and crewmembers etc.).

The grind to improve your Space Legs gear is even worse than the grind to engineer your Space Ships. Luckily, you can purchase pre-engineered equipment (if you're lucky) at some Pioneer Supply shops and that g2 to g3 equipment is sufficient for 95% of space legs content.

There are no new ships included in Odyssey and even the Scorpion SRV has been moved to the non-Odyssey 4.0 version of the game.

----

With all that said, there is a chance that there might be Thargoid/Guardian related Space Legs content coming eventually. Maybe as part of the HIP 22460 aftermath, maybe with the narrative November update, maybe next year....or maybe never, since FDev has nothing announced or hinted at when it comes to Space Legs and Thargoid/Guardians.

Long story short: If you have money to spare, buy Odyssey during a sale. If you rather want some pizza, you're not missing much and you can wait to see if the new narrative includes new space legs content.

As others have said, use Horizons 4.0 to check performance when you get access to that: Odyssey-in-space is much less intensive than Odyssey-walking-around but if you're not getting solid performance on the space bits in Horizons 4.0 you probably will struggle to use the ground stuff at all.

Assuming you can get decent performance - and if you're at the recommended spec or above you'll probably find it at least tolerable - I'd say it depends how you feel about being able to get out of your ship and walk around:
  • Enthusiastic: why haven't you bought it already? Having waited this long you might as well wait for a sale, but go for it.
  • Neutral but like the idea of "more Elite Dangerous" (this is where I am): worth picking up in a sale as it'll give at least a few months of variety and diversion trying out the missions, engineering up some suits and weapons, and doing a bit of exobiology. Whether you end up incorporating any of it into your normal "routine" is less certain - most of it doesn't fit with mine but that's going to be quite a personal thing [1].
  • Neutral but looking for something that's not "more Elite Dangerous": you're not enthusiastic about the concept and you're not going to enjoy the implementation either. Maybe pick it up in a much later sale for a fiver just to get flight access to atmospheric worlds.
  • Entirely unenthusiastic - this is a game about flying spaceships: as above, maybe pick it up when it's in a really deep sale for more places to fly the ships, but otherwise don't bother.

[1] The bugbear for me is that no Odyssey mission works on an A->B basis (as e.g. Horizons courier or many Horizons trade missions do) - they're all A->B->A which really doesn't fit with my playstyle. Obviously that may be a complete non-issue for you!

I only log into Odyssey when I really have to, which is rare thank goodness. I would definitely wait for a sale, and as others have said, wait for 4.0 to see if you like it.
If you are not into mobile-app quality first person shooter gameplay then you can go without. If you want to follow the upcoming narrative, the free 4.0 will be enough.
Anything else just stick with Horizons 3.8.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator

I have been playing on foot settlement missions content almost exclusively since Odyssey launched, I´d say it is worth it, but sales happens now and then so getting it now or waiting a bit are both good options.

Source: https://youtu.be/aQsf4GMPyx4

Roadmap shows no more new content until 2nd half of 2023, but that's where roadmap ends - so no garantee their will be more content.
The current "content" they added in update 13: they turned off Guardina Tech in one star system - if you want to call this " Content ", i guess that's content.
Also few messages spread out in few systems. All the story is in text format on Galnet.
Most of this " Content " you can catch on youtube, will take you a few minutes.
With Update 13, they are downgrading Odyssey to " Optional " status - meaning buying it or not, no longer matters. If you want to step down from your space ship and walk about, than buy it. If you are just in to SpaceShip - than no need, you won't miss much.

Top Bottom