Reverb review

Biggest caveat of his is the controllers, probably not a huge deal for us with Elite.

What I take from this is, it's really odd they are describing mura artefacts on the LCD's, it does exist on LCD's, but has been largely considered solved by now, yet it being present to a noticeable degree in an production level HMD, leaves thinking this is not really meant for gaming.

HP is considering this a business VR set anyways.

Yeah thats very unexpected. My Pimax (LCD) has no mura at all whereas the Vive Pro (OLED) has very noticeable mura haze in certain scenes.

Also mentions noticeable chromatic aberration, god rays, pupil swim and red smear. Fail.

I agree that their target demographic is definitely not entertainment. Seems like they are going for the budget enterprise market.

I think there are some issues with it. That would explain why they aren't releasing it yet.
I've emailed hp out of curiosity for some details.

Last edited:
Dont get too excited. Yes it looks awesome static but pushing that resolution at a decent framerate is going to be impossible.

as an Pimax owner I'm rendering 3750x 3120 in ED at my RTX2080ti so Reverb sholud run ok

I have a 2080Ti and a 5k+ and even in Small FOV at 72hz it reprojects heavily in a lot of scenes. For me ED has always been unplayable with the 5k+.

The Reverb with a 2160 * 2160 native resolution is going to need a render target of 3024 * 3024 when adjusted by the nominal 1.4 render multiplier needed by the compositor for distortion correction as it uses single element Fresnel lenses. Plus it's a 90hz only panel. That level of render workload in ED is going to rely heavily on reprojection to make frametime.

I guess it depends on what you define as "ok" experience wise.

Those images look awesome and will likely seduce people into buying the HMD who will then be super disappointed at the juddering mess that is the experience in Elite. I realise I'm being a party pooper but think it's important to temper expectations amidst all the excitement.

Conversely it will be exciting to see what it's like for sim racing with well optimised render pipelines like iRacing and Assetto Corsa. Although I think the Reverbs small field of view means the Pimax will still be the king as far as immersion goes. I am however happy to be proved completely wrong.

Last edited:
The distortion correction SS needed depends on the lenses, if the lenses have low distortion it might not need to render much larger than the panels.

The 5k practically need to render twice as many pixels as it needs to.

I now know why they call it the 5k+ cause you need to render at 6k per eye.
Resulting in balls performance.

The xtal for instance uses the same resolution as the 5k or O and get it's better than either and runs significantly smoother, cause the lenses can use the panels better.

I have a 2080Ti and a 5k+ and even in Small FOV at 72hz it reprojects heavily in a lot of scenes. For me ED has always been unplayable with the 5k+
Its playable even with 1080ti at normal FOV with modern i7 or i9 CPU. Ofcourse we need to do some trick like removing not vr friendly haze. Have you follow my thread in Pimax forum including edit 1 and edit 2 ?

Guide is a bit outdated becouse now we have conservative FFR and saturation slider in Pitool but a lots of folks like it. My current setting for exploration is Pitool 1.25 and steamvr 70%( in guide 60%) with FFR on and achiving 90 fps in space and planets except planetary bases. For sure I will have lower SS when return to bubble and will do other activity like combat in CZ or RES. But for now works great.
For me Pimax 5k is the best hmd to play ED so far.

I don't explore, I tend to spend my time mostly getting shot at and failing to make myself throw up in my Vulture.

And those settings are a few there I would consider "potato" settings that I I'd honestly not bother playing at.
Primarily shadows, that on anything less than high, and I just get pulled out of the immersion.
So I'm back to the rift for Elite.

Dont get too excited. Yes it looks awesome static but pushing that resolution at a decent framerate is going to be impossible.

Of course it's going to require reprojection, but that doesn't bother me. I had to turn on the framerate disaplay in Elite the other day when I finally upgraded to a 2080ti and was playing around with different settings. If I can get that kind of text readability in Xplane that's all I need, I'll turn down literally everything else to the lowest setting. Right now it's of no use as a training tool because of blurry text.

Read through some more of his posts. If he's getting 47fps on DCS World with textures on high and 200% SS with a 1080ti, I'm not worried about it.

For the uk players, I think we'll have the same issues as with the odyssey

Screenshot_20190513-095927.png

Top Bottom