Reverse inductor/Additional Capacitor

I am stealing these concepts from a really cool and in my view, unique 4X game called Star Ruler.

A Reverse Inductor in the game was an energy weapon that sapped energy instead of dealing damage. When it struck shields or a ship it would sap it's energy and with some additional capacitors could fill these with the weapon.

In one of my play-throughs my navy was outfitted with only reverse inductors, a salvage laser, a refinery and an export bay. So instead of destroying my enemy I would disable him, extract the raw metals from the ships and put it directly into my bank. So, instead of destroying the ship you would render it dead in the water, as it were, allowing for scavenge operations or perhaps something mission-oriented, like taking a person alive instead of killing them.

Also an additional optional internal capacitor could prove very interesting and useful too with or without this weapon. To use for whatever, faster shield regen, additional weapons energy or whatever else.

Thanks for reading!

I am stealing these concepts from a really cool and in my view, unique 4X game called Star Ruler.
Your talking about Star Ruler 1. I use to beat Galaxy that had 1000 systems at a time.

A Reverse Inductor in the game was an energy weapon that sapped energy instead of dealing damage. When it struck shields or a ship it would sap it's energy and with some additional capacitors could fill these with the weapon.

In one of my play-throughs my navy was outfitted with only reverse inductors, a salvage laser, a refinery and an export bay. So instead of destroying my enemy I would disable him, extract the raw metals from the ships and put it directly into my bank. So, instead of destroying the ship you would render it dead in the water, as it were, allowing for scavenge operations or perhaps something mission-oriented, like taking a person alive instead of killing them.
As I remember the ship would be dead ship until you take control of the ship by repairing it. But your idea to take Materials would be like pirating. If we make it like the Seismic charges Indicator (Not Explosion) We can keep the person or NPC in the Ship alive and they can keep the ship without getting a kill squad attacking you.

Also an additional optional internal capacitor could prove very interesting and useful too with or without this weapon. To use for whatever, faster shield regen, additional weapons energy or whatever else.

Thanks for reading!
I not sure about a combat use for this device but savage usage out of it would be cool. In combat, it might be too strong.

I not sure about a combat use for this device but savage usage out of it would be cool. In combat, it might be too strong.
I understand what you mean in a way. But you are giving up something to have it. A size 5 internal means less hull points and resistance and chances are in order for it to matter at all for some of these big ships you will need to use a large internal for it just like with the shield cells, it only matters if they are in good ratio to the shield, you are always giving something up for it as you always do and there is still a way to exploit this and counter it as always. And if it's that big of a concern then limit the amount of extra capacitors to one just like with some other modules that the player would benefit from having more than one in an unfair way, like shield generators.

And yes, Star Ruler 1, which had far and away the best ship design functionality I've ever seen! I still fondly recall my 12,000 scale mega ships and the like.

Also as far as the reverse inductor goes, I'm not suggesting being able to take materials from the ship, it's just a weapon type, I was describing what the strategic goal was of the navy in that game but I do think salvage/scavenge operations would be a fun addition. Why kill him for materials when you can extract some of the undamage modules for big money? Anyway, I digress, this weapon type could be regarded as a 'non-lethal' type and could be added for a variety of missions and activities.

Last edited:
I understand what you mean in a way. But you are giving up something to have it. A size 5 internal means less hull points and resistance and chances are in order for it to matter at all for some of these big ships you will need to use a large internal for it just like with the shield cells, it only matters if they are in good ratio to the shield, you are always giving something up for it as you always do and there is still a way to exploit this and counter it as always. And if it's that big of a concern then limit the amount of extra capacitors to one just like with some other modules that the player would benefit from having more than one in an unfair way, like shield generators.
That why I use pirate type use, not a real combat type. To be able to take materials after the ship disabled.

And yes, Star Ruler 1, which had far and away the best ship design functionality I've ever seen! I still fondly recall my 12,000 scale mega ships and the like.
I was always into the smaller ships. I think that what hurt my game. Have a Dual core or Quad core and the game would hang after So many NPC running around and 1,000 systems. I might try it on my 6 core laptop.

Also as far as the reverse inductor goes, I'm not suggesting being able to take materials from the ship, it's just a weapon type, I was describing what the strategic goal was of the navy in that game but I do think salvage/scavenge operations would be a fun addition. Why kill him for materials when you can extract some of the undamage modules for big money? Anyway, I digress, this weapon type could be regarded as a 'non-lethal' type and could be added for a variety of missions and activities.
Well I think the idea needs to be talk about.

Top Bottom