Review: HP Reverb Pro - The Best VR Headset for Elite and Simulation Games

What steam resolution do you guys put your Reverb on ? I heard it needed to be cranked up to 180% to hit the native resolution. Is this true ? :eek:

I think I found the problem. A cable which is going to DisplayPort plug is loose (whole plug looks like really,really cheap) it seems that it’s causing bad connection on one or more pins. I can reproduce my issue just moving cable close to DisplayPort plug. I’ll try to use a short cable which was included with reverb and mini displayport extender and usb extender.

After an hour on the dog and bone this morning which included a fair bit of department hopping and general ballache they have agreed to collect mine and replace it with a new unit.

I spoke to them today again and I wasn’t able to force them to replace my hmd or even the cable. They should get back to me tomorrow morning and I hope they will finally decide to send me new cable or replace whole headset.

Ever since I bought an early HP inkjet color printer for all the money I had, and they wanted me to pay for a driver update, I haven't bought anything from HP. That won't change. Ever!

(And yes they probably still don't care ;))

What steam resolution do you guys put your Reverb on ? I heard it needed to be cranked up to 180% to hit the native resolution. Is this true ? :eek:
I was trying several options and i found 125% and everything on ultra (shadows Medium) looks really nice and it’s fast enough.
Motion reprojection works really, really good (if you will find this small file buried somewhere and edit it - I don’t know why it’s not just the option in the app) 150% is doable but with some sacrifices I didn’t find best solution yet coz I was fighting with my disconnecting headset, but I will try to find something. 60hz is no go for me.
I also heard that 188% is native resolution but it’s too much for 2080ti, so maybe with Volta. Anyway with 125-150% ED is absolutely beautiful for me. Additionally I noticed that SS in range 1.0-1.5 makes almost no difference in picture quality (jagged lines looks just barely better) and have massive impact on my frame rates, so I left it on 1.0.
There is no SDE (just a really fine mesh) so even if it’s not in native resolution it looks a waaaaaay better than oculus rift.

I was trying several options and i found 125% and everything on ultra (shadows Medium) looks really nice and it’s fast enough.
Motion reprojection works really, really good (if you will find this small file buried somewhere and edit it - I don’t know why it’s not just the option in the app) 150% is doable but with some sacrifices I didn’t find best solution yet coz I was fighting with my disconnecting headset, but I will try to find something. 60hz is no go for me.
I also heard that 188% is native resolution but it’s too much for 2080ti, so maybe with Volta. Anyway with 125-150% ED is absolutely beautiful for me. Additionally I noticed that SS in range 1.0-1.5 makes almost no difference in picture quality (jagged lines looks just barely better) and have massive impact on my frame rates, so I left it on 1.0.
There is no SDE (just a really fine mesh) so even if it’s not in native resolution it looks a waaaaaay better than oculus rift.

Yeah i found 1972 x 1928 (150%) at 90hz was doable with my 2080Ti + 9900k and it looks awesome.

I have ordered the Reverb and will get it in 1-2 weeks. I also have the 2080ti but only a 7700K. Do you guys think its wort upgrading to a 9700/9900k ?

9900k is awesome, ive got mine clocked at 5GHz and it runs so much cooler than my old 8700k because the thermal interface is solder not bubble gum.

I can run my case fans at really low RPM = quiet.

Performance is awesome. Make sure you get a decent board that can pump out sufficient voltage as she is a thirsty old girl when you run 1.35V All Core - im using the MSi Meg Z390. Cooler is a Corsair H150i Pro.

I have deltided my 7700k so it runs very quiet already at @5ghz. Did you notice any performance Bump with the 9900k vs your old 8700k ?

To be honest nothing significant. Even the best games are only optimised for 4 core 8 thread architecture at best so you are already in the ball park.

After having major display issues where no image would appear on my Reverb I contacted HP, their Global VR Quality Manager quickly organised a conference call for me along with several of his team.

We discussed all of the issues that I've had at length and they are organising over night shipping for my headset to get back to them for diagnostic checks. I've been promised a replacement quickly so fingers crossed no further issues from here! I was also promised an updated cable which keeps things much more secure.

In all the years I've been buying tech I can't think of even one time where any company went to such efforts to help me! I really am blown away by the level of customer service I've recieved!!! They have been superb :D

I have deltided my 7700k so it runs very quiet already at @5ghz. Did you notice any performance Bump with the 9900k vs your old 8700k ?
I also run my 700k de-lidded cool at 4.9GHz. As already stated most games are optimised for 4/8, I doubt that the 7700k would bottleneck a 2080Ti with elite. personally I'm looking at a upgrade to AMD for my next CPU requirements, Intel chips need a freezer to run in at max frequencies.

I also run my 700k de-lidded cool at 4.9GHz. As already stated most games are optimised for 4/8, I doubt that the 7700k would bottleneck a 2080Ti with elite. personally I'm looking at a upgrade to AMD for my next CPU requirements, Intel chips need a freezer to run in at max frequencies.

Is it worth upgrading a 6700k to 7700k?
Anything above that means a new motherboard for me

A quick Google says it's about 7% faster, so probably not, depends on what overclock you run. Really depends on what deals you can get on the two CPUs and how much the upgrade costs... but I doubt it's a good bang for buck.

Last edited:
I wouldn't upgrade and not to any thing that intel has to offer right now, I've learnt from my 7700k that heat is a big issue with intel cpu's when overclocking, I spent time and money getting my 7700k temperatures reasonable when overclocked, I had to buy a new motherboard due to spillage of liquid metal into the cpu socket of the previous motherboard.
My 7700k chugs along at 45% usage with the occasional spike to ~70% with Elite in VR, that's with the terrain slider all the way to the left (less work for the GPU).

My next cpu will be something that will provide the horsepower required without overclocking, even if that means spending a few bucks more on a higher end cpu. keep a eye on what the next generation console cpu's will have re- cores and threads, use that as a rough guide.

See below for performance comparisons, 6700k~7700k~8700k at stock frequencies.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZyHSqrVb_E

Last edited:
I got a faulty Reverb as well. As with many others the display was flickering/turning off after a couple of minutes. I realised it was the connector at the back of the headset that's the weak spot. Expecting a replacement hopefully from the new batch that has this issue fixed.

The sharpness of the image is super amazing - and I'm coming from Odyssey+ I was already quite pleased with. The text is now so sharp that it finally feels like I'm looking at a 1080p display.

However the very first thing that popped up as I exited my first station inside HP Reverb was the lack of deep blacks from Odyssey+ OLED display. Dark grey "black" levels couldn't be missed. Personally I don't mind too much as I'm willing to sacrifice the OLED higher dynamic range in favour of high resolution with practically no screen door effect LCD panel, not to mention considerably reduced god rays. But I don't quite understand how come some people see Reverb having the same deep blacks as O+ and Rift CV1. I guess our eyes are build in a different way :) I'm sure you could find someone still complaining about the Reverb's screendoor effect ;)

Dark grey “black” is not an issue for me but colours. I found them a little bit washed out. I can use to it coz resolution but anyway they are not as good as in cv1.

I'm a long time CV1 user and the Verb is getting me pretty interested.... Is the overall experience worth upgrading to the Reverb from a CV1, given I like many cockpit games AND some 360 small roomscale? What are the controllers like?

I'm a long time CV1 user and the Verb is getting me pretty interested.... Is the overall experience worth upgrading to the Reverb from a CV1, given I like many cockpit games AND some 360 small roomscale? What are the controllers like?
From what I understand is that there are two strong points for the Verb, the resolution and sweetspot. Excluding those the CV1 is better or the same in all other areas?

Top Bottom