The Python was once used as a patrol cruiser, so now that ship launch fighters are in the game shouldn't the Python be able to carry a fighter as well? As one of the larger of the medium class ships and given its history it would make sense. Please consider this request. Thank you.

It can carry a lot of cargo, has 9 internal modules, has a big power plant, a big power distributor, 5 good weapons hardpoints and even a big internal fuel tank. And yet manages to squeeze onto a medium pad.

So where would it go?

The python can already do just about everything. It doesn't need more versatility. You gotta balance things. Hypothetically if you did give it the ability to launch a fighter then it should lose some of those internal compartments. There are other ships that fit that role. Get one of those.

As much as I'd love the Python to have SLF capabilities, it would make the Python very overpowered, and require a massive nerf elsewhere.

And I love my Python how it is, so I'd actually prefer a "military" variant on the Python. Less internals, but SLF capable, more tanky, and a bit heavier/less agile.

Some new ships have been introduced and I think the Python fell back a little bit. It does not feel that much overpowered as in the past. I still like it, but it should probably get a 5th utility slot for ED 3.0. The fighter bay btw is too big to be fitted I am afraid.

Love the python but its far from agile in the world of Elite. Would fly it all day long if it was as agile as a FAS[where is it]

To my mind every ship that has a big enough module slot should be able to carry a fighter bay. To be able to fit a fighter bay in a Keelback but not in a Python is just ridiculous and nonsensical.

I'm aware that there's an argument that it would make the Python overpowered, but I'm afraid I don't agree. There are good and bad ships in this game and some are very good and some are just very poor indeed. What, for example, is the point of the Asp Scout? Anyone? The Python would just be at the other end of the scale from the Asp Scout.

To my mind every ship that has a big enough module slot should be able to carry a fighter bay. To be able to fit a fighter bay in a Keelback but not in a Python is just ridiculous and nonsensical.
I'm going to have to agree with you, even though it may have serious implications for 'balance and roles' etc.

If a ship has the required slot you really should be able to fit a bay, This could have specific penalties in function or costs when installed to a particular ship. Perhaps the problem is the internal 3D design of certain ships?.

Sandro, or maybe that space loach could enlighten us...​We have biscuits!

The only issue I personally have with my Python and the missing fighter bay is that I can not use it with a human crew. The Python works best with any weapon except turrets and with no fighter hangar my crew has nothing to do, so I have to fly my Python alone which is sad. :-/

I'd be in favour of removing one of the Large Hardpoints in the Python and reducing one of the Size 6 Optional Internals to a size 5 if it would mean it could have an SLF :D

though, just for the record, I think if any ship deserves a SLF, it'd be the Type-7... that'd make it much more useful and explain why it can't be downsized to fit on a medium pad

Last edited:
If a ship has the required slot you really should be able to fit a bay, This could have specific penalties in function or costs when installed to a particular ship.

I think effectively additional mass should be the penalty, giving a ship carrying a fighter bay a shorter jump range and slower rate of turn. The fighter bay does have what 20T? Maybe that could be increased by way of balancing? Just a thought.

I would not be in favour of reducing the module slots or removing a hard point since this would reduce the Python's utility, and the great strength of this ship is it's multi-role capability.

The Python was once used as a patrol cruiser, so now that ship launch fighters are in the game shouldn't the Python be able to carry a fighter as well? As one of the larger of the medium class ships and given its history it would make sense. Please consider this request. Thank you.
No.

The Python's made with the same unobtanium Faulcon Delacy uses in the Anaconda - it doesn't need another advantage over every other medium pad ship.

No.

The Python's made with the same unobtanium Faulcon Delacy uses in the Anaconda - it doesn't need another advantage over every other medium pad ship.

it definitely isn't made of the same material as the Anaconda... have you seen how horrible the jump range on the Python is and how low the starting hull integrity is?

I agree, the Python should able to carry a fighter. In fact, how about two running at the same time? It has the slots. I'm having a blast with my Keelback + SLF. The wins aren't fast and I'm not making a lot of money, but it is the most fun I've had in this game from one of the updates. I understand the game balance issues, but as a solo player, that doesn't apply to me. Two SLFs is not much different than x3 overpowered Engineer weapons I currently carry. I would compromise with an increase in SLF energy demands which would inhibit much tinkering past the stock Python.

I wish I could ask the devs what was the exact imbalance issue? They've never seen me play. I'm a lesson for others not to follow. :) Keelbacks are cheap, replacing the lost pilot experience is not.

Top Bottom