Ride Breakdowns

I've looked for this in another topic, and much like the on-ride photo's, I'm amazed that this hasn't been brought up!! (But please point me in the right direction if it has!)

I'd like to put forward the suggestion that there are different types of ride breakdowns. One that is a minor fault that stops the ride and needs a tech to restart it (e.g. a failed launch on an accelerator coaster)... and the queue does not empty, but closes to new guests joining (some guests might choose to leave the queue).. And then a more major fault where the ride has to close and the queue has to empty completely (like a break failure, chain snap etc). The ride could then require a part that is ordered and delivered, so the ride cannot open until it arrives.

Granted, that last bit might be OTT and prevent decent game play or cause frustrations, but certainly the 2 levels of breakdown would be good! :)

I like this idea, it means that breakdowns are not all equal and the major breakdown has more impact on penalizing bad maintenance has it means lost revenue from shutting the ride down

I like this suggestion too, because of the gameplay-affecting elements and for realism too. As an example, I heard that there may be some complications with faulty rollercoaster sensors, which blocks the train up the chain lift, but can be solved without spending any time, although with a minor impact on the game. Nevertheless, with more serious damage (as Aaron said, it could be a break failure) the impact on gameplay could be bigger, maybe enough to persuade people to go home without visiting the rest of the park.. I'm looking forward to this in the final game.

really nice idea , never thought about that.

in addition it would be awesome if we can see what exactly the mechanics are repairing. for example if a wheel is broken the mechanic will change it for a new one.

i like that u-have-to-order-a-missing-piece part very much too.

Last edited:
How about the good old station brake failure like RCT had... It made me so paranoid I used to check every time I rollercoaster would break down to see what kind of malfunction it was. Seeing '34 guests have died in an accident' because the car crashed into the other car at the station... :'(

How about the good old station brake failure like RCT had... It made me so paranoid I used to check every time I rollercoaster would break down to see what kind of malfunction it was. Seeing '34 guests have died in an accident' because the car crashed into the other car at the station... :'(

Yup! Nothing like flying into the station at 50MPH! [big grin] (of course, a pre-station break run would solve that)

I agree with having a more diverse set of malfunctions that can happen which would cause different levels of ride delays. +1 [up]

Last edited:
As rides get older, they should breakdown more and eventually, you should get the suggestion from a mechanic or someone else that you should probably close the ride and demolish it, or rebuild it with newer parts.

Last edited:
Yup! Nothing like flying into the station at 50MPH! [big grin] (of course, a pre-station break run would solve that)

I agree with having a more diverse set of malfunctions that can happen which would cause different levels of ride delays. +1 [up]

Yeah I eventually started doing that a few times. Or I'd make the ride long enough that the 2nd car would depart the station before the first one got back.

In the original Roller Coaster Tycoon, rides reliability depreciates, which just means add more mechanics to handle ride breakdowns on a more frequent basis. Would it be possible to shut down a ride for an extended period of time, and have some animation to show it's undergoing a major fix and then reset it's clock? The renovation could deter some park attendees because the ride is no longer available, and renovation could be an expensive option, and once it reopens an option to advertise a "new ride".

Realistic break downs would be awesome! I hope the guests use the cat walks if a breakdown happens while on the chain lift. I think they should stay away from breakdowns that have major injuries in them. For aging rides, I think you should be able to replace the track as a coaster gets older. Like giving a wooden coaster the iron horse (RMC) treatment.

Last edited:
Of course, if we want to be a bit more realistic..

The more major the fault... the more rare the breakdown is? Like, if it's a simple thing like for real amusement parks... a flipflop that fell onto the tracks can be detected by the coaster system and will shut the ride down.

Or how about this, Even something like a butterfly can stop a coaster from running the course. Maybe have that as a common break down, and it's only a minor one that lasts like a few minutes (in-game time obviously) And then something like a Chain break would be one of the rarest items around (Because it does NOT happen often at all. The only occurrence of a Chain break is Vortex @ Kings Island back in... 2013 I believe.)

Of course, there are all types of break downs that can happen (Labeled from common to rare)

• Someone holding a camera (And have this as sometimes people are caught and other times they are not)
  • Vomit (Simple enough, someone throws up on the ride)
  • Photo sensor blocked (The sensors on the rides that detect the trains)
  • Bowel Movement on ride (You know what I mean)
  • Stuck Restraint at Station (A larger guest gets stuck in the restraint... come on, you've seen it before)
  • Break Failure (Should be a Very rare occurrence, and one that shuts the ride down)
  • Chain Break/Failure (Should be a Very rare occurrence, and one that shuts the ride down)

There could even be some minor things that happen that don't cause a breakdown, but a delay of the ride.

• Lift Miscarriage (Where the Train misses the chain and it slips back)
  • Brake roll through (Train slips through the breaks slowly, maybe bumps the train ahead)

Of course, if we want to be a bit more realistic..

The more major the fault... the more rare the breakdown is? Like, if it's a simple thing like for real amusement parks... a flipflop that fell onto the tracks can be detected by the coaster system and will shut the ride down.

Or how about this, Even something like a butterfly can stop a coaster from running the course. Maybe have that as a common break down, and it's only a minor one that lasts like a few minutes (in-game time obviously) And then something like a Chain break would be one of the rarest items around (Because it does NOT happen often at all. The only occurrence of a Chain break is Vortex @ Kings Island back in... 2013 I believe.)

Of course, there are all types of break downs that can happen (Labeled from common to rare)

• Someone holding a camera (And have this as sometimes people are caught and other times they are not)
  • Vomit (Simple enough, someone throws up on the ride)
  • Photo sensor blocked (The sensors on the rides that detect the trains)
  • Bowel Movement on ride (You know what I mean)
  • Stuck Restraint at Station (A larger guest gets stuck in the restraint... come on, you've seen it before)
  • Break Failure (Should be a Very rare occurrence, and one that shuts the ride down)
  • Chain Break/Failure (Should be a Very rare occurrence, and one that shuts the ride down)

There could even be some minor things that happen that don't cause a breakdown, but a delay of the ride.

• Lift Miscarriage (Where the Train misses the chain and it slips back)
  • Brake roll through (Train slips through the breaks slowly, maybe bumps the train ahead)

This is a great list of potential breakdowns. I hope they stay away from really intense injuries. I don't know if it needs to be taken to that extent. Everything on this list looks pretty good. I would add "over heating" and roll backs for launched coasters. I also hope guests will use catwalks if a ride breaks down on a lift hill or launch.

Bowel movement more common than restraint failure?
Here locally restraint failure happens sometimes, however less common that people actually get stuck but more often that there's seats unavailable due to restraint problems. That is more common than BM and vomits here. Thank goodness. Because I hate seeing either. I have yet to see BM problem onride. I have seen vomit *on ride* but it was 20 years ago. I go to the park 3-5 times a year.

Sometimes I see vomit puddles but often it is like outside the candy shop or similar, likely being children overeating candies AND going rides combo.

Ok now this was much about bodily fluids!

Hid below due to gore(?) (just simple text no excessiveness and no photo)
Also adding to the list but too macabre for PC/RCTlike games: people doing stupid things/self hurt and get very hurt. Locally one woman rode the Flume ride (log flumes) and she decided that she did not want to go down the slope so she grabbed the side wall and tried to stop the log but she slipped and fell off and went down the slope and the log after went down over her. Very sad. It can be seen as stupid but I guess panic and phobia mode you are not thinking logical.

Also do not forget it is not all about rollercoasters. There are failures on flat rides too, and water rides.
Flat rides due to exhausted parts breaking down (oldies).

Also terrible one: metal wires snapping. (I read about one girl got her foot/feet pulled off from a loose metal wire!)

Last edited:
Hihi some years ago when i was on a wooden coaster 2 rows in front of me a person did vomit, thankfully just in the moment that the train was at the breaks (soon ariving the station) and all the innerbauty of that person was hitting the rows in front. Great picture... smelled really hard.
I was clean^^

(Colossus, Heidepark Germany)

I hope when the ride breaks down and closes a bunch of staff come around to the ride entrance and tell guests its closed, like in real life.

Top Bottom