Rift hdmi port users

I dont really get what you mean... Your Rift is plugged into the adapter via HDMI and the display connector goes into the graphics card with what type of connection?

What exactly is changed? Still got the massive (and annoying) dynamic contrast?

I bought a Display port to hdmi adapter (2k/4k) and plugged the rift into that so its using a display port instead of the hdmi port on gfx card. The picture quality is far better than just using rift to hdmi output on gfx card.

Damn... got a Mini-Display-Port-Adapter not a Display-Port-Adapter. But out of interest, i ordered a 2K/4K Adpater for 10 bucks... need to test at least and will report. Every ounce of extra quality is quite welcome.

Had rift about a mth now... just got a display port adapter to plug tv in too but decided to try rift in it first - picture quality is FAR FAR FAR superior to using hdmi port!! Try it.

How exactly is the image quality better?

I don't quite understand how this should be, given that the output from the display port is still being converted to HDMI through the adaptor. Also you can't change the resolution of the HMD, so is it just colours and contrast that is better? Not to be honest that I have any issues with the Rift in that department currently anyway.

Its alot clearer and seems smoother, im running a 1080fe/ i7 4770k /32gb ram and it was smooth and clear before but i noticed a hell of a difference as soon as i put the rift on using a display port adapter to hdmi. Hard to explain but it really did make a big difference.

From what ive read, display ports are faster than hdmi ports - could be this making the difference - being able to send more data through the port itself.

Last edited:
Its alot clearer and seems smoother, im running a 1080fe/ i7 4770k /32gb ram and it was smooth and clear before but i noticed a hell of a difference as soon as i put the rift on using a display port adapter to hdmi. Hard to explain but it really did make a big difference.

From what ive read, display ports are faster than hdmi ports - could be this making the difference - being able to send more data through the port itself.

I find it hard to belive. I will try it out but it's still not technically possible. First of displayport has hdmi compatibility built in to it. It can send hdmi signals. However a displayport can't magically boost the transfer rate of a hdmi signal. There's a hard cap because of the hardware. Displayport generally have more pins than hdmi and thus higher transferspeeds. Those pins are not used when using a display to hdmi cable.

So imo. You're just experiencing a placebo effect.

Could possibly be due to color profile used. Perhaps the HDMI is using 4:2:2 color, or YUV maybe, and the displayport is using proper 4:4:4 color. Many TVs have this problem when used on computers because the driver tries to be 'too smart.' The way the Rift is hidden from display adapters doesnt help the situation.

Slightly intriguing, but I never had a problem with how my Rift looks... except for the horrible aliasing in games. Which has nothing to do with this.

Could possibly be due to color profile used. Perhaps the HDMI is using 4:2:2 color, or YUV maybe, and the displayport is using proper 4:4:4 color. Many TVs have this problem when used on computers because the driver tries to be 'too smart.' The way the Rift is hidden from display adapters doesnt help the situation.

Slightly intriguing, but I never had a problem with how my Rift looks... except for the horrible aliasing in games. Which has nothing to do with this.

if that is true, its back to dark night sides on planets... Just picked up the adapter. Cant wait.

Okay people... here comes a big one... Y2K is absolutely right.

I got deep black space all the way back to infinity, vibrant colored nebulae... the backdrop is stunning... gone are the days of washed out color soup. The first thing i tried, was landing on a dark side of the planet. Elite still brightens it up with ambient light a bit, but far less, than before... i actually needed to use lights to see the terrain features i was touching down on... Did i mention, that the dark side was actually deep black on approach from space? Didnt i? Well it is... The extra details you can suddenly see are remarkable, especially in the nebulae. The cockpit shows much more depth and HUD is better to read. And not only in Elite of course... the Oculus shop is already looking much sharper.

Much higher contrast and absolutely brillant colors. People... get this thing.

And you @Y2K, have some +rep... you deserve actually a 1000 more, but hey... this is an honest one... A whole new Rift experience, thanks to you. o7

Last edited:
Hi Commanders!
I'm ordering one now. Worth a shot at £7.
Thanks for the feedback Frank_G. It will take a day or two to arrive, but I'll report back too when installed.

o7

I just tried this but all I get is a blank Oculus. Tried re-installing drivers but still blank screen. Oculus set-up thinks it's all working fine though.

Top Bottom