rift s and elite for existing user

I was thinking of getting the rift s for elite dangerous, which I current own, have played for years and launch using the standalone version - not steam.
Can I 'enable' my existing account.
Do I keep my existing progress - which after several years is well beyond 'endgame'.
Can I then play in either pc or VR mode on the same acccount or does the account have to be either pc or VR.

Probably these are not unique questons, but I looked around and failed to find unambiguous, or not quite specific, answers.

While I don't have the specific answer, I hope that it's the answer I assumed would be true.

I'm a Kickstarter player having been in on PC since before commercial launch. [despite now playing on a PS4Pro second account]
I just bought a brand new PC and am planning on buying a Rift S - on the sole purpose of playing Elite in VR (and as a by-product perhaps trying other titles - but this was an Elite-oriented investment...)

That said, I'm subscribed to see if anyone says that this can't be done!?

Cheerz

Mark H

Ryzen 2600X
Gigabyte B450
Vega 56 Pulse
Plugged into a Sony Bravia 43" LED 1080p TV as primary display :) (via a DENON AV receiver!)

I was thinking of getting the rift s for elite dangerous, which I current own, have played for years and launch using the standalone version - not steam.
Can I 'enable' my existing account.
Do I keep my existing progress - which after several years is well beyond 'endgame'.
Can I then play in either pc or VR mode on the same acccount or does the account have to be either pc or VR.

Probably these are not unique questons, but I looked around and failed to find unambiguous, or not quite specific, answers.
I’ve been playing ED since the first beta - I bought a Rift just over two years ago and all you need to do with your existing install is select “HMD with headphones” on the graphics menu.

Your save game is stored with FDev’s servers so you can switch between VR and flatscreen at will.

It's just an in game graphics setting. I start ED from the Frontier launcher, which then loads the game in the Oculus Rift. (no S for me)

Thanks that is good to know.
Been looking for a way to revitalise my love for ED. The rift s could be it.

I would say it would do. If you've not experienced VR before, it's a blast, and ED in VR is probably one of the best VR experiences available (although I may be a little biased :) )

Got the rift s; and set it up.
But cannot get it to work with ED.
Cannot find the "HMD with headphones" option anywhere in the ED settings menu (Graphics).
Any help appreciated.

Got the rift s; and set it up.
But cannot get it to work with ED.
Cannot find the "HMD with headphones" option anywhere in the ED settings menu (Graphics).
Any help appreciated.
On the main graphics settings (not under display) there is a 3D options mid way down, change this to HMD Headphones.
(This setting won't be there if you've started from EDProfiler with No VR selected or have the shortcut with -novr extension.)

Edit: highlighted here:

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Thank you !
Wow... just wow. What a difference.
'Resolution' is worse, but the 3D makes the game 'chalk and cheese'.
Galaxy map is a challenge and my keybinds have disappeared, but all in good time I guess.

Top Bottom