Rift S and Software IPD

I've spent over 25 weeks in ED peering at the game world through a monitor, and I'm eager to take it to the next level and invest in VR.

I've spent about an hour before in VR using a Vive but sadly didn't get to try ED. I've got an RTX 2080 card, so I'm all set. I had hoped to wait for a VirtualLink HMD but it looks like that's not for this generation still and I'm tired of waiting :)

I'd sort of decided on the Rift S because while it's certainly not perfect, it's [1] available in Australia and [2] reasonably priced compared to others. So it seems like a good compromise for a first VR purchase.

I was just about to hit the buy button when the whole Rift S IPD issue occurred to me. I did a rough measurement in the mirror and I came out at around 58mm. Knowing that the Rift S has software IPD adjustment, I just wondered if there are any ED Rift S users that are using it outside the 64mm design average and what their experience has been with regard to the inferior software IPD adjustment system. Does the IPD adjustment actually work for us non-average people?

My IPD is 67, so not as "out" as yours. I do sometimes get eye strain with the Rift S, which is something I never get with PSVR. As first taste of Elite in VR, the Rift S is good enough. But the black levels - which are important in this game - are poor. So I'm already keeping an eye out for future developments whereby an affordable HMD comes out with OLED screens,

Based on a similar rough measurement, I think my IPD is around 60mm - in my Rift CV1 I did have the manual adjustment set at the minimum, this seemed to offer the best clarity in that headset for me.

I replaced my CV1 with a Rift S a couple of months back, in this I have set the IPD to about 59mm, I do have to adjust the headset on my head slightly to achieve the best clarity, the best way I find to check is to close one eye, check that the image is clear and then do the same on the other.

I'm not convinced the software IPD adjustment does a great deal, not like a manual adjustment where you actually can see the lenses moving. That said, for me, setting it to the low end and moving the headset to align it correctly offers a good clear image, certainly when comparing it to the CV1 - text is clear, you can tell the type of planet you are approaching in SC from a distance (the CV1 always seemed a blur until you are comparably close) and eye strain is very much reduced. The Rift S headset is very comfortable to wear.

It's a shame the audio offering is a bit pants, but I have found that under sound properties, setting the Bass Boost and Loudness Equalisation to on has made a huge difference, and there's always earbuds (but that's more bloody wires to get tangled in!)

My IPD is 67, so not as "out" as yours. I do sometimes get eye strain with the Rift S, which is something I never get with PSVR. As first taste of Elite in VR, the Rift S is good enough. But the black levels - which are important in this game - are poor. So I'm already keeping an eye out for future developments whereby an affordable HMD comes out with OLED screens,

Yeah, going from the CV1 to the Rift S, I did notice the blacks to be grey'er than I'd hoped they would be. I have adjusted, but if I could have the reduced SDE and resolution for the Rift S with the blacks of the OLED of the CV1... that would be the best.

Thanks for your replies Nighteyes and Kemo. I'll probably end up holding off (again) due to the IPD issue of the Rift S. The black-level problem does appear to be a major negative for Elite, however the price is a probably an offset for this, but basic stuff like lack of real IPD adjustment is a deal-breaker I think.

You read about so many negatives in current and previous generation HMDs that it is easy to get turned off the whole thing, however my brief 1 hour try in the Vive was enough to give me an idea of the incredible positives. I'l have to find a way to try the Rift-S or other current gen HMDs. It's going to be a while before they all get anywhere near 'perfect'.

Rift S was my first headset so I don't really have experience with any proper IPD adjustment, but my feelings echo the idea that the software adjustment seems to be doing nothing that I can detect. I measured and set mine, (about 61, in my case) but I get much more impact from moving the headset slightly left or right than I do from moving the IPD slider fully in either direction in software.
For me, I'm feeling like the Rift S is enough of a detail improvement over previous headsets from resolution alone that the clarity is very improved even if the IPD isn't perfect. The black levels, yeah, could be better, but it's good enough that I just can't even stand to go back to gaming on my flat monitor. I truely haven't played a single non VR game since this headset came out back in May.

I don't think it's as bad as some say, but my IPD isn't too far from their average so, maybe I'm lucky.

I know better blacks and better adjustment would improve things, but I feel good about where I am. And if I had a 2080 to replace my 1660ti.... Oh man, I'd never take the headset off, since I'd be able to get some super sampling in there and it would be just stunningly beautiful.
Short answer, I think people are too negative. The inside out tracking and comfort are great. Use surround speakers instead of the built in headphones.
That's my 2 or 6 cents.

I have had cv1 pimax and now the 's. For me the 's is the game changer simply because of its ease of use. I have limited amounts of time and 2 kids so being able to literally put it on my head and play makes up for any short comings. The pimax fov is awesome but its a royal PITA to just plug and play. The quality is good but only marginally over the s. Quality issues are present. And the pc you need to run it. Top of the range only. The cv1 was decent but the picture quality is not up to scratch for elit simply because of text legibility as much as anything.
For elite the s is a decent step up from cv1. No increase in the fov is a shame.

IPD. I am 59 and have played a maximum of about 90 minutes in 1 sitting with no problems.

Top Bottom