Rift S...

I'm struggling to get my head around some of their decisions... can't be bothered to type it all out on mobile...

Last edited:
LCD, 80Hz and no mechanical IPD?. No, just no.

I won't be swapping my CV1 for an S, no matter what the resolution.

I was thinking the same. I also have my doubts about inside out tracking. Surely external cameras have less latency, and keep a track of your controllers better as well?

And the speaker system is open. I guess a headphone jack is a useful addition, but I quite liked the fold-down phones of the CV1. I'd have preferred they kept to the same system, but without that sliding contact nonsense which eventually stops working.

I'm trying to reserve judgement till we can hear from someone who's tried it with elite. Some are saying the LCD has better than expected contrast, and the sub pixel arrangement provides a nice visual enhancement. As someone who plays a variety of games in their HMD I wouldn't really consider getting a WMR headset as I won't compromise on the tracking (tempting as that new HP is...)

Honestly my biggest issue is the headphone situation. Not sure I can go back to having to plug in headphones for decent audio quality.

In principle, it's a disappointing upgrade. Inside out tracking solves a problem ED players don't really have, the reduction in framerate is worrying, and the increase in resolution is pathetic.

However.

The perceived resolution on the Rift is on the ragged edge of marginal for Elite Dangerous. I've found myself on occasion trying to land on the wrong pad because I misread the pad number message when I requested docking; I can't read all the text on the holo-ads; I sometimes have to lean towards the pop-up panels to read text on them; and the general appearance of the game takes a hit from the resolution problem. An improvement of less than 20% may not be much, but the difference it makes could be crucial. I suppose I'd have to buy a Rift S to find out.

Which I might just do. Because the telling advantage claimed for the Rift S is that the limited changes will mean that it will work with any system that runs the Rift. Which would mean I could have this modest upgrade for (I hope) four hundred quid, whereas the most viable alternative for me, the new HP headset, is only viable if it will work with a 1660 TI, the only modern card I might be able to fit in my current system - and even if that proves to be true that'll be a four-figure sum for what is intended to be an interim upgrade.

So, yes, the Rift S is a disappointing upgrade; but it may be the most practical one for me.

Last edited:
Oculus Lenovo Explorer Lite, what a backstep.

Its lower resolution than the Lenovo explorer which has been out some time and is cheaper. It's also lower resolution than the quest they're also releasing for the same price. I really cant get my head around that.

Granted the setup is easier than wmr, controllers are better and the optics might be really good, but I cant figure out why people would choose the rift s over some of the other options... I'll be interested to see some reviews!

In principle, it's a disappointing upgrade. Inside out tracking solves a problem ED players don't really have, the reduction in framerate is worrying, and the increase in resolution is pathetic.

However.

The perceived resolution on the Rift is on the ragged edge of marginal for Elite Dangerous. I've found myself on occasion trying to land on the wrong pad because I misread the pad number; I can't read all the text on the holo-ads; I sometimes have to lean towards the pop-up panels to read text on them; and the general appearance of the game takes a hit from the resolution problem. An improvement of less than 20% may not be much, but the difference it makes could be crucial. I suppose I'd have to buy a Rift S to find out.

Which I might just do. Because the telling advantage claimed for the Rift S is that the limited changes will mean that it will work with any system that runs the Rift. Which would mean I could have this modest upgrade for (I hope) four hundred quid, whereas the most viable alternative for me, the new HP headset, is only viable if it will work with a 1660 TI, the only modern card I might be able to fit in my current system - and even if that proves to be true that'll be a four-figure sum for what is intended to be an interim upgrade.

So, yes, the Rift S is a disappointing upgrade; but it may be the most practical one for me.

Unless you really need the 5 cameras for better tracking, the Odyssey+ seems like a way better buy for you than the S.

Unless you really need the 5 cameras for better tracking, the Odyssey+ seems like a way better buy for you than the S.

Noted. I'll have a look.

Edit: not currently available in Europe is what I'm seeing. I could order one from the States but I doubt I'd get much in the way of support if there were problems.

Last edited:
I was thinking the same. I also have my doubts about inside out tracking. Surely external cameras have less latency, and keep a track of your controllers better as well?
I've tried rift and have a Lenovo for wmr. Theres no tracking lag, it's super impressive. The issue is when you move your hands near your head it's not quite as accurate, but I've never found it an issue. I've even tried tricking it behind my head in robo recall.

The issue really is the wmr controllers are uncomfortable- I wish they'd copied the rift controllers!

You don't have "true blacks" in the current rift either unless you have a set with panels that work ok when disabling the spud setting, and those are few and far between.
Disabling this could induce heave amounts of Mura and off to on lag.

So all this "OH NO. MY BLACKS !" is a lot of headless chicken screaming from people who doesn't know anything.

And blacks are pretty much the ONLY benefit from Oleds compared to these recently developed fast switching LCDS, that didn't exist in 2015 when designs for the CV1 was finalised.

If it is uniform, blacks aren't going to be much of an issue, you adapt to it.

I'l wait my judgement until we actually have comments from people who actually have used it.

Last edited:
You don't have "true blacks" in the current rift either unless you have a set with panels that work ok when disabling the spud setting, and those are few and far between.
Disabling this could induce heave amounts of Mura and off to on lag.

So all this "OH NO. MY BLACKS !" is a lot of headless chicken screaming from people who doesn't know anything.

And blacks are pretty much the ONLY benefit from Oleds compared to these recently developed fast switching LCDS, that didn't exist in 2015 when designs for the CV1 was finalised.

If it is uniform, blacks aren't going to be much of an issue, you adapt to it.

I'l wait my judgement until we actually have comments from people who actually have used it.

Sebastien from MRTV has tried it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/b3j65w/i_tried_the_oculus_rift_s_for_1h_here_is_my/

"Unfortunately it is an LCD display so the blacks are not really black. It was very apparent when playing the games. The dark scenes and menus were more grayish overall. If your own a Go, you know exactly what I am talking about. People who love Elite Dangerous or Horror games will NOT enjoy the dark scenes anymore."

"People that are used to Rift and like to play dark games like Horror games or space sims like Elite Dangerous will not enjoy the blacks. They are simply not as good as OLED displays"

Its true that you adapt but i still much prefer OLED for Elite.

My Pimax5k+ (LCD) has better colours than my Rift CV1 (OLED,) and the blacks are about the same. I'd prefer the blacks of my Vive, but it really isn't the deal breaker that even I thought it was. I lost my 'blacks' when I started using a Rift CV1 instead of my Vive, and moving then to the Pimax LCD screen - really made no substantial negative difference, whatever very slight black I may have lost, I made up for with the better colours and less banding of the Pimax LCD screen. It's hard to make a decision without trying various headsets for a couple of hours, or just collect 'em all like Pokemon - that's my choice. I doubt that I'll get a Rift S, tho I'm not afraid of LCD in VR anymore. Give it a go if you can, try it out

Last edited:
My Pimax5k+ (LCD) has better colours than my Rift CV1 (OLED,) and the blacks are about the same. I'd prefer the blacks of my Vive, but it really isn't the deal breaker that even I thought it was. I lost my 'blacks' when I started using a Rift CV1 instead of my Vive, and moving then to the Pimax LCD screen - really made no substantial negative difference, whatever very slight black I may have lost, I made up for with the better colours and less banding of the Pimax LCD screen. It's hard to make a decision without trying various headsets for a couple of hours, or just collect 'em all like Pokemon - that's my choice. I doubt that I'll get a Rift S, tho I'm not afraid of LCD in VR anymore. Give it a go if you can, try it out

That is how I see my Pimax compared to my Rift.

Top Bottom