Rift S...

Slopey

Volunteer Moderator
Ditto. The Pimax is soooo much better than the Rift/Vive (unmodded), that the blacks aren't an issue.

(but the ergonomics do still suck).

My issue isn't with the riftS. I think it is a product far more likely to help vr take off than the pimax or vive pro.
By keeping min specs the same , making it easier to set up and more practical to use this is all good stuff and is more important to vr than a hmd which costs £1000 or more and needs a 1080ti.

For the market it aims for the only worry I have for it is the price. Let's assume £399 I think it is a bit pricy. I predict 349 or 299 for Xmas.

Those who say it's the same as windows MR I politely say you are wrong (this is the popular opinion on another forum I frequent) It has the oculus infrastructure behind it, and soon will have ASW2. Oculus had ASW for years before anyone else got it and that is being kind and assuming the others are as good as ASW... And it has five tracking cameras and high quality passthrough

But no. The RiftS I think is great news for VR. What dissapointed me tho is that there is no higher end equivalent. Am not talking about pimax 5k levels of FOV but given oculus are not even making these themselves why not dual launch a rift X along side rift S for an extra £200 and don't tease is with "we could support external sensors to augment controller tracking" just do it already as an optional extra . Only 2 needed and usb2 will be just fine so no usb issues, and it's just an option.
I think the oculus line up is fab (tho tbh I think the Go could be dropped now and go with quest . it's just 1 highish end device short . I *hope* this is still coming

The rift S is not for existing VR users imo

Last edited:
Nate Mitchell clearly stated that the goal was

"To get as many users as possible into this eco-system"

Thats what "S" is all about.

Lets not forget that Oculus has John Carmack and Michael Abrash leading the technical evolution there. Those guys are pure voodoo. Magic will happen if they have anything to do with it. Remember Quake ?

Yes the current product line status quo is dissapointing for the enthusiast but you can see the intense focus on making the HMD equivalent to a mobile phone in terms of adoption and usage.

Think of that. If every one that owned a mobile phone owned an HMD.

Technological paradigm shifts come from cumulative incremental improvements not overnight revolutions.

Last edited:
Lets not forget that Oculus has John Carmack and Michael Abrash leading the technical evolution there. Those guys are pure voodoo. Magic will happen if they have anything to do with it. Remember Quake ?

True but Carmack did also state, post CV1, that resolution was more important than FoV. I really have to disagree with him there.

True but Carmack did also state, post CV1, that resolution was more important than FoV. I really have to disagree with him there.

From an engineering standpoint resolution trumps all. Automotive/Medical/Aeronautical test domains in VR require super high res. Immersion is secondary when you are trying to resolve detail.

Enterprise will drive the evolution of VR because it will generate the revenue required for R+D.

Last edited:
From an engineering standpoint resolution trumps all. Automotive/Medical/Aeronautical test domains in VR require super high res. Immersion is secondary when you are trying to resolve detail.

Enterprise will drive the evolution of VR because it will generate the revenue required for R+D.

For me.....Give me resolution over FoV anytime. If i want to see 120-150 degrees to either side i'll turn my head, but when i do turn my head i want to see everything clearly!

Except HP is using LED too. Let's wait for Samsung Odyssey 2019 refresh

I'm not overly bothered about it using LED tech since that has come quite a long way. Samsung QLED is very similar with black levels to OLED (though not quite as good) but when within +- ~5 degrees viewing angle. With a VR headset you are at near 0 all the time.

For me.....Give me resolution over FoV anytime. If i want to see 120-150 degrees to either side i'll turn my head, but when i do turn my head i want to see everything clearly!

Yeah, it is resolution that bothers me over FOV too. Better FOV would be great but SDE and blurred writing are the things that damage my VR experiences over it being like I'm in Ski googles. I can imagineer my way out of limited FOV; I can't imagineer my way to seeing more clearly.

Last edited:
The status quo is quite frustrating right now.

Why ?

None of the games we love - Elite specificaly - support the VR Apis that Nvidia has provided.

Its all there. Simultaneous Multi Projection, Lens Matched Shading.

So my question is, are the Cobra engineers watching ?

Are you going to implement the Nvidia Apis ?

Last edited:
The status quo is quite frustrating right now.

Why ?

None of the games we love - Elite specificaly - support the VR Apis that Nvidia has provided.

Its all there. Simultaneous Multi Projection, Lens Matched Shading.

So my question is, are the Cobra engineers watching ?

Are you going to implement the Nvidia Apis ?
I feel this issue is for vr games in general, not just elite. Maybe there are games I'm forgetting?

I feel this issue is for vr games in general, not just elite. Maybe there are games I'm forgetting?

Absolutely, even the best performing games would benefit from further optimisation from dedicated VR Apis to enable us to crank it up and still hit frametime.

Last edited:
For those interested in the tests that I've done last night.

I tried elite with my GO and RiftCat.com.
I wanted to see how it does with the Rift S display.

I used RiftCat because it is easier than ALVR to setup and it works very well with a lot of options to tweak the stuff as hell.

And so what I was worried, happened, with the GO's LCD Display compare to my rift, everything is definitely clearer and more readable for sure, and bye bye godrays but all of my colors are gone. It gave me the impression of "washedout" or "pale color" and the worst are the blacks. I can't see anymore the variations of black in the space as before like with my oled display in the rift.

So, for the moment, it is just an impression because it can be the codec of riftcat which compress too much the flux and remove as much all the colors. I hope is that, because otherwise that does not look good for the rift s and Elite dangerous with the rift S LCD display.

Last edited:

We're all different. :)

I'd like a bit more resolution, apparently the Rift S is pretty solid. But I think with just a bit more I'd be looking for increased FOV. Doesn't have to be loads but CV1's FoV is just a bit too narrow for me.

We're all different. :)

I'd like a bit more resolution, apparently the Rift S is pretty solid. But I think with just a bit more I'd be looking for increased FOV. Doesn't have to be loads but CV1's FoV is just a bit too narrow for me.

Using a Lenovo as a reference. Priorities would be

Bigger sweet spot
Resolution
Frame of view

Honestly though if I had a budget to build a new headset I'd split it pretty equally all three ways. I don't think the current headsets are a million miles off feeling like a no compromise toy.

I used RiftCat because it is easier than ALVR to setup and it works very well with a lot of options to tweak the stuff as hell.

And so what I was worried, happened, with the GO's LCD Display compare to my rift, everything is definitely clearer and more readable for sure, and bye bye godrays but all of my colors are gone. It gave me the impression of "washedout" or "pale color" and the worst are the blacks. I can't see anymore the variations of black in the space as before like with my oled display in the rift.

So, for the moment, it is just an impression because it can be the codec of riftcat which compress too much the flux and remove as much all the colors. I hope is that, because otherwise that does not look good for the rift s and Elite dangerous with the rift S LCD display.

To fully enjoy elite dangerous on oculus go you need connect it to PC through ethernet and use ALVR.

Good post, I was doing some back to back testing myself yesterday switching between the 5k+ and the Vive Pro and the difference in the warmth and saturation of the colors is striking.

I am going to get a 5k+ OLED and sell my 5k+ LCD when Pimax sorts it's supply chain out in the coming months.

Good post, I was doing some back to back testing myself yesterday switching between the 5k+ and the Vive Pro and the difference in the warmth and saturation of the colors is striking.

I am going to get a 5k+ OLED and sell my 5k+ LCD when Pimax sorts it's supply chain out in the coming months.

I was under the impression that the 5kBE resolution is the same as the 5k+, but the OLED screens use a PenTile pixel arrangement that causes increased SDE?

Top Bottom