Rift S...

Good post, I was doing some back to back testing myself yesterday switching between the 5k+ and the Vive Pro and the difference in the warmth and saturation of the colors is striking.

I am going to get a 5k+ OLED and sell my 5k+ LCD when Pimax sorts it's supply chain out in the coming months.

Bear me in mind for your 5K+ when the times comes. my Pro is resting on the results of the Lens Swap (Hopefully this week. Lens now in UK)

I was under the impression that the 5kBE resolution is the same as the 5k+, but the OLED screens use a PenTile pixel arrangement that causes increased SDE?

Yes, the screen door is more pronounced with the Pentile sub pixel layout but VoodooDE says its the roughly the same as the Vive Pro so im happy with that.

The more I hear about rift s the more interested I am. If it were not for my right headphone snapping off and me gluing it I would probably be selling my rift this week ready for rift s.
I am disappointed oculus played it so safe but I do "get it". As a full package (HMD, controllers, infrastructure and software ) imo oculus are miles ahead of the rest, but their HMD is "adequate" I think.

I could do without having the three cameras stuck on my walls. If the Rift S matches the CV1 in all other respects, I'll upgrade on the basis of inside out tracking alone.

The Rift-S seriously looks like it could provide a significant upgrade in clarity/resolution while maintaining similar or (hopefully) better in-game graphics detail utilising current graphics cards.

Clarity is the key feature for me. My 1080ti does not allow all max settings in the CV1, even with ASW running. While I change settings depending on activity, I can currently achieve almost ultra across the board with SS 1.25 and HMD 2.0, shadows High, etc. if relying on ASW, but still the CV1 is lacking due to the irritating SDE, inadequate screen resolution and (presumably) the sub-pixel design.

I see higher resolution OLEDs etc, are available, but I don't believe current graphic cards could drive these screens without reducing ED in-game graphics options. The Rift-S appears to be pitched correctly to get the best out of ED until foveated rendering or other graphics-power-saving technology is ready for release.

I am tempted to jump into the Rift-S ASAP, and eagerly await other reviews and it's eventual release. My eyes are slowly deteriorating (macular degeneration), and I want to see as much detail while I still can! Loss of the CV1 integrated headphones is likely bearable with a workaround.

Ultimately, I hope a Rift-X (CV2) or whatever is released soon with foveated rendering - I see that as the ultimate near-term solution for my needs (detail) as I'm really only an ED and PC-2 player.

o7

CMDR Quo

The Rift-S seriously looks like it could provide a significant upgrade in clarity/resolution while maintaining similar or (hopefully) better in-game graphics detail utilising current graphics cards.

<snip>
o7

CMDR Quo

Have you tried an Oculus Go? I have seen a YouTube video that states the Rift S uses the same LCD screen as the Go but has software IPD adjustment.
Be aware though, the Go doesn't have any IPD adjustment , and is set at an average of 64. My IPD is 68 so everything looks slightly blurry in the Go and makes it very uncomfortable to use.
If you don't have any IPD problems it might give you some idea of what to expect with the S.

I was initially disappointed with the s, but blacks in my rift have always been more like grey, so for me this is going to be a fairly significant increase in pixel density, possibly less Ray's based on lenses, and it was cheap to upgrade after selling my cv1. The fact that it'll run on basically the same specced pc is very nice, really the only thing I'm sad about is the lack of fov increase....if they'd bumped that then the s would have truly been a worthy successor, as of right now it's a medium, inexpensive step up.

I was initially disappointed with the s, but blacks in my rift have always been more like grey, so for me this is going to be a fairly significant increase in pixel density, possibly less Ray's based on lenses, and it was cheap to upgrade after selling my cv1. The fact that it'll run on basically the same specced pc is very nice, really the only thing I'm sad about is the lack of fov increase....if they'd bumped that then the s would have truly been a worthy successor, as of right now it's a medium, inexpensive step up.

You say the blacks in your Rift have always been grey, do you want them even greyer? Let's get it right. This is a REPLACEMENT for the Rift, not an upgrade.
I'd buy one if my Rift breaks but that's it.

Have you tried an Oculus Go? I have seen a YouTube video that states the Rift S uses the same LCD screen as the Go but has software IPD adjustment.
Be aware though, the Go doesn't have any IPD adjustment , and is set at an average of 64. My IPD is 68 so everything looks slightly blurry in the Go and makes it very uncomfortable to use.
If you don't have any IPD problems it might give you some idea of what to expect with the S.
I've not tried the Go, but it's also very difficult to judge relative LOD capabilities within typical VR games that might be viewed in a demo (ED is unlikely to be found in a demo headset opportunity), but you make an important point that relates to clarity of fine detail/textures - IPD is so important and lens adjustment is another missing feature from the Rift-S, presumably for cost and ease of adoption (I have seen many first time users have difficulty setting the IPD in the CV1 - getting it a bit wrong can really spoil it for them). I may be fortunate with my IPD of 62 - I might get away with it....
The CV1 is great and I have literally spent thousands of hours in it over the last couple of years (i.e. it's well-made and reliable), but skybox stars should be small points of light, not small strangely-pixelated splodges! I'll hold off from buying the Rift-S as long as I can, but any significant gain in fine detail without loss of performance may be too tempting.

I've not tried the Go, but it's also very difficult to judge relative LOD capabilities within typical VR games that might be viewed in a demo (ED is unlikely to be found in a demo headset opportunity), but you make an important point that relates to clarity of fine detail/textures - IPD is so important and lens adjustment is another missing feature from the Rift-S, presumably for cost and ease of adoption (I have seen many first time users have difficulty setting the IPD in the CV1 - getting it a bit wrong can really spoil it for them). I may be fortunate with my IPD of 62 - I might get away with it....
The CV1 is great and I have literally spent thousands of hours in it over the last couple of years (i.e. it's well-made and reliable), but skybox stars should be small points of light, not small strangely-pixelated splodges! I'll hold off from buying the Rift-S as long as I can, but any significant gain in fine detail without loss of performance may be too tempting.

It's all a fine balancing act at the moment. I'm happy that we got the chance to be pioneers/guinea pigs. But I am not getting any younger, just more impatient. :)

You say the blacks in your Rift have always been grey, do you want them even greyer? Let's get it right. This is a REPLACEMENT for the Rift, not an upgrade.
I'd buy one if my Rift breaks but that's it.

I'm just saying I might not care that much about the greys, and as for it not being an upgrade, we'll see! I might be back on here in a month saying "yep, it's not even better than cv1", or I may be happy with it. Sold the cv1 and the upgrade cost is fairly negligible, no turning back now! ;)

Lestat

Banned
Note I don't own any VR headset other Tracker IR or Tobii eye tracker. My brother has the Oculus Rift Go. I tried it and like it. I am on the fence right now and its a wait and see before buying a real VR headset until Spring.

Note I don't own any VR headset other Tracker IR or Tobii eye tracker. My brother has the Oculus Rift Go. I tried it and like it. I am on the fence right now and its a wait and see before buying a real VR headset until Spring.
The Rift S will be a good choice for you then. If it is slightly better than the Rift, as a first 'proper' VR headset, for the price it can't be beaten. I hope they sell loads of them and force game developers to take VR more seriously, and not just as a passing fad.

As someone who has not gotten into VR yet other then with PS VR which I must say has surprised me a lot with the quality you can get out of it.
Main downside being the PS MOVE controllers that are just madly expensive for as old tech as they are.

Inside out tracking appeals to me in terms of setup and moving my playspace around , that said I find it quite difficult to find the proper sweetspot for VR, and a question to those people with oled VR on that.
OLED has the general problem with black/purple smearing if the switch from black to colour is too sudden, and that is very jarring to me when having attempted to use such things as Gear VR, how do you deal with that? Or have they found a way around it?

Personally Oculus Rift S seems to be decent, yeah it isn't OLED, so 'deep' blacks might be a problem, but LED black's aren't bad in my book, especially if I can avoid smearing with movement, horror games + smear is just not a great thing to me. But still waiting and watching.

I personally would consider inside out tracking a major step up, if anyone has the talent to do that right its oculus.
Not having to deal with those cameras etc. love the thought of that.

I'm more disappointed in terms of the single screen, and fixed IPD, sure you can adjust using sofware but it would put high demands on the lenses.
How can the lenses perform equally good for someone at 60ipd as someone with 70ipd?
I'm guessing for the majority they will be just fine, for a few who isn't in the majority it can end up performing very poorly.
Compared to a system with mechanical IPD.

From what I've gathered so far, this new S model is more of a replacement for the existing CV1 than an upgrade. From what I've read, once the current stocks of the CV1 are sold out, the S will be the only one you can buy. Apparently existing CV1 owners will still be able to get repairs and replacements etc.

For me personally the lack of a physical IPD adjustment is a big no, as my IPD is 67.5 and according to this article https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-rift-s-supported-ipd-range-fov-quest-go/, the fixed range will only suit those with IPD's in the range of 61.5mm to 65.5mm. Also the swapping of the headphones for speakers in the head strap is a turn off for me. So here's hoping my CV1 lasts for a while longer and that they develop a Rift 2 without those problems.

Or we could rather look into the valve index.
Yes they call it that.

So far they have only posted one photo saying May 2019.

But the only thing truly prominent in that photo is a large mechanical ipd slider.
So far what I hear of it is vive pro pixel density, at a 135 degree FOV.

If that is true it's going to be Oculus who?

My main issue with the Vive stuff so far has been the price. As in it's all been very expensive. If they can get the price of this new HMD down to a competitive level, inc sensors and controllers etc, then I might be interested. If it's going to cost £800+ for a HMD and sensors and knuckles, then that's going to be a much harder sell for me to jump ship from Oculus.

That remains to be seen.
Hardly anything is known at this point.

But unlike HTC, valve isn't broke and can afford to gamble on recouping a loss on a device through leveraging the fact that they have the steam platform.

HTC is only building the vive on valve's patents, in such no more affiliation to valve than Pimax at this point.
And HTC has been desperate to build their own software distribution platform.
Honestly surprised HTC is still a brand.
I'm half expecting them to get bouht by Amazon at this point.

I'm thinking Oculus.
Either has a second set coming for the pc.
One that actually pushes some limits and the S will be the budget HMD.

It they are focusing on pushing it to as many as possible through making a cheaper and less complicated device.

So in stead of actually going for VR 2.0 they are simply polishing 1.0.

That's honestly not going to be good enough and leaves them competing with masd WMR devices rather than the more serious devices.
Seriously partnering with Lenovo?
The maker of the least comfortable HMD in existence..

Gamers and especially people interested in VR are not afraid of complicated things and trying to make VR for those who simply aren't interested to go through an involved adjustment period from regular media is more likely to back fire than anything.

As for Oculus eco system.
Only titles I have there are robo recall and lone echo.

And I haven't played those for over a year.
No big loss there.

Unsure of this. The specs of the Rift S certainly don't wow me so I'd be tempted to wait - except that my CV1 is falling apart and out of warranty. The faceplate foam is disintegrating, I've got the headstrap damage that means I need headphones over it and just yesterday the cable started showing the first signs of failing. Replacing those bits is pricey for what they are, so now I'm wondering whether it might be worth waiting for the Rift S to turn up. Or maybe just see if I can get a cheap refurbed headset only? Whichever route feels like a waste of money when significant improvements are starting to look like they're an option.

Top Bottom