Rift S...

Longer tether (and i like the HMD with tether), higher resolution per eye, no sensors needed... Sounds just like what i want. First tests (by tested in youtube f.e.) sound promissing. And at 399, i will get one for sure.

That remains to be seen.
Hardly anything is known at this point.

But unlike HTC, valve isn't broke and can afford to gamble on recouping a loss on a device through leveraging the fact that they have the steam platform.

HTC is only building the vive on valve's patents, in such no more affiliation to valve than Pimax at this point.
And HTC has been desperate to build their own software distribution platform.
Honestly surprised HTC is still a brand.
I'm half expecting them to get bouht by Amazon at this point.

I'm thinking Oculus.
Either has a second set coming for the pc.
One that actually pushes some limits and the S will be the budget HMD.

It they are focusing on pushing it to as many as possible through making a cheaper and less complicated device.

So in stead of actually going for VR 2.0 they are simply polishing 1.0.

That's honestly not going to be good enough and leaves them competing with masd WMR devices rather than the more serious devices.
Seriously partnering with Lenovo?
The maker of the least comfortable HMD in existence..

Gamers and especially people interested in VR are not afraid of complicated things and trying to make VR for those who simply aren't interested to go through an involved adjustment period from regular media is more likely to back fire than anything.

As for Oculus eco system.
Only titles I have there are robo recall and lone echo.

And I haven't played those for over a year.
No big loss there.

Indeed, I am hearing bad things about HTC support especially about the light houses and seeing many complaint of them just milking things for all it's worth right now. Now comes the "Index" which I hear HTC wont be involved in and hopefully we see better pricing, hope we get more details in May.

Last edited:
ASW is what attracts me to this HMD: My Oddysey+ prob has superior screen to this, but WMD counterpart sucks in comparison.

What is attracting me, is by the sounds of it much improved lenses.
And a simplified and polished user experience.

Steamvr is still a mile and a half behind Oculus in regards to user friendly UX and that's where VR really looses adoption.
People doesn't necesarrily want to spend three days tweaking something.

Rift S - lack of built-in headphones is an immediate killer for me. Sorry Oculus. The Rift S should be Oculus Quest + CV1 headphones + HDMI lead / wireless interface.

I'm certainly disappointed in the lack of headphones, but it's not a deal breaker for me since it has the headphone jack. Should have kept the CV1 setup, though.

I have been forced to use external cans for years anyway, and that immediately improves the audio quality, seriously the rift audio solution would be beat by a Koss Porta-pro.

That's honestly a rather scrawny horse to settle on.
It has audio, It's just not on ear.
And unlike the Cv1 it has a audio jack.

Unless you really need the 5 cameras for better tracking, the Odyssey+ seems like a way better buy for you than the S.
I have not tried it but all the reviews I have seen are really complementary about the tracking . I would never buy a windows MR device but this seems a step up from that. Just remember us existing VR owners are not the demographic for riftS. RiftS is about getting new people into VR. IF you want an upgrade buy the £920 valve index. Oculus is trying to expand VR numbers and in that I think the rift S is a big improvement

I have not tried it but all the reviews I have seen are really complementary about the tracking . I would never buy a windows MR device but this seems a step up from that. Just remember us existing VR owners are not the demographic for riftS. RiftS is about getting new people into VR. IF you want an upgrade buy the £920 valve index. Oculus is trying to expand VR numbers and in that I think the rift S is a big improvement

Problem is.
It is a replacement.
This is the only PC rift they now make and offer for sale.

Sure some stores might still have left-over stock, but this is it for CV1.

And a three year old OLED device is now starting to hit serious degradation, I doubt my unit is anywhere near initial brightness and colour fidelity which was honestly not that good anyways.

That's honestly a rather scrawny horse to settle on.
OK, that would be a fair comment if the Rift S had significant improvements over the CV1 in the visual department, but it doesn't. The resolution is barely higher, it uses LCD and has no hardware IPD adjustment.
Problem is.
It is a replacement.
This is the only PC rift they now make and offer for sale
Yes, this is exactly my worry.

Again, if the LCD screen is to similar quality as it is on my 5k+ you have nothing to worry about there.

The blacks on the 5k+ is about the same as the blacks in the rift cv1, unless you deactivate the pre pixel driving of the panels using the spud setting you manually add to windows registry.

All in all the LCD variant is less blurry, less laggy and feature better colours. Especially compared to older devices.
We can't really say much of everything here, until we actually start getting hands on devices ourselves.

I figured what the hell, why not so pre-ordered one.
There is something to be said for a VR device that just works.

And truly if it is pants I'm sure to let you know.

Last edited:
But thats just not true. In elite wmr reprojection is rock solid.
Its very much true. Unless the Fps is 100% steady 90 or 45 FPS, you see a lot of artifacs and vibrations in the picture. This side effect is much less notisable with Oculus ASW

IF you want an upgrade buy the £920 valve index.

Just Wow, i`ll buy 2000000 of them just for the lolz, Reminds me got to buy them not up to the standard Quatro Cards.

Hang on what were they called.

Ummm £1500 price..

Ah thats it RTX 2080Ti, got to buy 100 of them to Nvlink them to a ZX69 with 1k memory, then i shall rule the world..

Anyhoo could build a nice budget PC for that price and an AMD Radeon RX 3080 GPU with few pounds left over for chocolate goodies.

Top Bottom