Rift S...

Just Wow, i`ll buy 2000000 of them just for the lolz, Reminds me got to buy them not up to the standard Quatro Cards.

indeed... they are damn expensive which is why I personally am not getting one yet. Here is my hope (sorry if i already posted it elsewhere).

Index is essentially a paper launch to crap on the rift S launch.... with very limited numbers and therefore they can charge what ever they want.

with a bit of luck by xmas if they are in ready supply they may get a decent discount. Rift S at £399 I think is great value for a decent headset..... I am more than happy to push the boat out for a premium device like the index - to say £650 - and i could see this happening when there is a ready stock.

I stand by what I said.... Rift S is not about encouraging rift CV1 owners or vive owners to swap headsets... it is about making VR easier to get into, and cheaper to get into to expand the over all number of VR users. I may fall through the cracks of it and not be supported (my IPD is almost 70) but for most people i think it will be fine.

I do think the vive and vive pro are done for however.

I concur, well if your rich (speaking in general, not you mike) I guess they can do what you want with their money.

I guess life is getting read for looney tunes, Mortal Kombat 11 - $4000 to unlock every skin lolz. (just peek and poke to save money)

wow 70 IPD, now I know I got a small head @ 49 years, 32.5 * 2 = 65 for me.

Anyhoo good luck on the Index, may it bring you many years of enjoyment (y)

No contest there really. Almost tempted to order one now rather than waiting for my CV1 to break/become forced obsolete.
I am sure some company will make decent clip-on headphones. What I really need to know is if it will be possible to buy prescription lenses that clip in. Lets hope VR Lens Lab are up for it. Glasses wearers: it really is worth the extra expense of getting these lenses.

Through the lenses with elite dangerous Here

I just came on to link the same video.

I’m rather surprised how much better it looks. Think I’ll probably order one soon. Was waiting to see how the Reverb pans out but they can’t be bothered to sell it in the UK yet and it looks to demanding for even a 2080ti.

OK I get mine delivered tomorrow (Friday 17th) from Amazon (Canada), so the email said.

I haven't played in Elite for a long time so I'll put on my CV1 and mill about for a while, then setup the Rift S and do the same thing. Not expecting a lot, but will be interesting how it'll do against the CV1 in a comparison test.

OK I get mine delivered tomorrow (Friday 17th) from Amazon (Canada), so the email said.

I haven't played in Elite for a long time so I'll put on my CV1 and mill about for a while, then setup the Rift S and do the same thing. Not expecting a lot, but will be interesting how it'll do against the CV1 in a comparison test.

From those lens shots and comparrisons earlier this week I'd say the S has a resolution comparable to the Pimax 5k+, which is not insignificant.
Also, ED was a little oddly off in the gamma settings, I had no issues sitting with the 5k+ and it's lcd screen in a black void theater and whatch a movie, but ED seemed to lack punch, most of that was solveable by upping the gamma by one notch or two over default.

Still waiting for Oculus to send mine.

From those lens shots and comparrisons earlier this week I'd say the S has a resolution comparable to the Pimax 5k+, which is not insignificant.
Also, ED was a little oddly off in the gamma settings, I had no issues sitting with the 5k+ and it's lcd screen in a black void theater and whatch a movie, but ED seemed to lack punch, most of that was solveable by upping the gamma by one notch or two over default.

Still waiting for Oculus to send mine.
My feelings, from reading reviews, is that it won't be a "HOLY MUTHER! THIS IS FREAKING AWESOME!" moment. More a "Hmmm the text seems a little clearer, planets look slightly brighter, space doesn't seem as dark as before" moment. One thing which I hope is improved, which looks promising, is that it'll be more comfortable on the face. I have to take the CV1 off after about an hour because it irritates me so...

My feelings, from reading reviews, is that it won't be a "HOLY MUTHER! THIS IS FREAKING AWESOME!" moment. More a "Hmmm the text seems a little clearer, planets look slightly brighter, space doesn't seem as dark as before" moment. One thing which I hope is improved, which looks promising, is that it'll be more comfortable on the face. I have to take the CV1 off after about an hour because it irritates me so...
It wasn't massive between the 5k+ and cv1 either.
And both the 5k and S are 1440 in vertical resolution.
Horizontally it's lower on the s but so is the fov.

It might be it's somewhat 'tighter', in that you now have twice as many red and blue subpixels.

But yeah.
It's probably a far cry from massive, but also not insignificant.

Last edited:
Well my resolve to use my existing Rift for a while longer has just about crumbled - the video above shows quite a difference in screendoor and I’ve just found out I can get a 15% discount on a Rift S next weekend.

I should be able to sell my Rift & 3 sensors for half the remaining cost, looking at eBay.

So very tempted...

Rift S kickin some serious butt with that text legibility.

As a Vive Pro owner I can see it being semi retired when the S shows up next week.

Euro Truck is going to be really good in the S. I know from years of Rift use what I can expect performance wise and the new lenses and panels are a big improvement in my opinion.

Last edited:
It definitely worse than O+ and Vive PRO imho

Maybe it's your eyes that are the problem and not the headset :p

The colors looked infinitely better in the S, the cockpit brightness was way better, though the planet/ring brightness was lower. Text was far more crisp in the S, the only one where it looked to not be better was Asetto Corsa.

I really wasn't expecting much, it's lower res than either, and yet it seems better.
I would have been pleasantly surprised by just being on par.

Only problem I potentially see in the S is the fixed IPD.

But that's not an issue for me being 64.5mm myself, but much more and you would fall out of the focused are of the lens and nothing would make that look good.

Top Bottom