Rift S...

OK just got mine, and set it up, really easy job. Then stuck my CV1 on and went into Elite, in and out of a station and a trip around the nearest planet.

With all settings exactly the same I donned my new space goggles. I wear glasses, at first the bridge of my nose hurt, but with a few adjustments of the front part (has a button you press to adjust) they fitted and felt ok.

So initial feelings are, yes it's a few notches up in the graphics department, particularly the text, much clearer. I checked my eye distance (IPD) on a phone app, 56mm apparently, so on the low end, but it didn't seem to have any effect on my viewing experience, at least in the short term.

The thing which was apparent from the start was how the colours seem a bit 'washed out', very pastelly (not a word is it). It can be sorted a teeny bit by changing the gamma slider up a few notches, but it then gets brighter. I really prefer more contrast and overall more darker than I see here. Maybe I'll work on that in some way.

I was only playing for about ten minutes so haven't got to grips with it yet in any depth, nor have I played any other VR titles. But I have to say what I've seen it's enough for me not to bother with the CV1 anymore.

Yeah LCD does not have the same levels of color saturation as an OLED panel and the blacks are on the bright side because of the backlight.

The flip side is that the OLED pentile has very pronounced SDE and Mura which the LCD stripe does not suffer from.

Plus, As Tor said, the lower res LCD stripe panel looks sharper/crisper than the higher res OLED pentile (when comparing to the Pro/O+)

Last edited:
OK just got mine, and set it up, really easy job. Then stuck my CV1 on and went into Elite, in and out of a station and a trip around the nearest planet.

With all settings exactly the same I donned my new space goggles. I wear glasses, at first the bridge of my nose hurt, but with a few adjustments of the front part (has a button you press to adjust) they fitted and felt ok.

So initial feelings are, yes it's a few notches up in the graphics department, particularly the text, much clearer. I checked my eye distance (IPD) on a phone app, 56mm apparently, so on the low end, but it didn't seem to have any effect on my viewing experience, at least in the short term.

The thing which was apparent from the start was how the colours seem a bit 'washed out', very pastelly (not a word is it). It can be sorted a teeny bit by changing the gamma slider up a few notches, but it then gets brighter. I really prefer more contrast and overall more darker than I see here. Maybe I'll work on that in some way.

I was only playing for about ten minutes so haven't got to grips with it yet in any depth, nor have I played any other VR titles. But I have to say what I've seen it's enough for me not to bother with the CV1 anymore.

Thanks for the report Galaxias - I've got a few concerns on the S so it'd be great to hear your opinions..!

1. - sound, whats the internal speakers like? I have a CV1 and liked the headphones that came with them, but one side seems to have failed so now use my on ear HyperX headphones, do you think these types of phones will work with the S - the big headband looks like it could be an issue?
2. - That headband - playing ED, sometimes it's good to just kick back in the chair, but do you think the adjuster at the back is going to be an issue?
3. - resolution - i'd love to hear your thoughts on that compared to the CV1

Thanks for the post, much appreciated.

Kemo!

..seriously... adjuster kn0b not allowed!? :)

Thanks for the report Galaxias - I've got a few concerns on the S so it'd be great to hear your opinions..!

1. - sound, whats the internal speakers like? I have a CV1 and liked the headphones that came with them, but one side seems to have failed so now use my on ear HyperX headphones, do you think these types of phones will work with the S - the big headband looks like it could be an issue?
2. - That headband - playing ED, sometimes it's good to just kick back in the chair, but do you think the adjuster **** at the back is going to be an issue?
3. - resolution - i'd love to hear your thoughts on that compared to the CV1

Thanks for the post, much appreciated.

Kemo!

..seriously... adjuster kn0b not allowed!? :)
Sound is atrocious, no low frequency to speak of, sounds like something you hear from someone else's earphones in a bus. Needs headphones. I haven't tried headphones yet but will at the weekend.

The adjuster [ k - n - o - b ] on the back is no problem in my view, it's heavily padded on the back of the head so I tried leaning back and wasn't uncomfortable, for me anyway :)

The S beats the CV1 in overall resolution, don't know if it's my eyes getting better or what but those red pixels I'm always aware of in Elite aren't there any more. The planets look gorgeous!

Unfortunately I haven't been able to have a long play of it (or the S...) but hopefully this weekend I'll spend an hour or more in Elite to get a better picture, so to speak.

Me wearing Rift S using standard open headphones. The headphones head band sits against the Rift band at the back, so actually stops the headphones from slipping off. Which is good when excited and moving your head around at high speed. As it were.
As you can tell I have a small face with a narrow IPD (56mm), despite this I have no vision problems to speak of.

Attachments

• s_headphones.jpg
    s_headphones.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 194

Thanks for the report.

How are the God rays?

Thanks for the report.

How are the God rays?
What god rays? :)

Unfortunately, owing to major stuff to do over the weekend was unable to spend no longer than 30 minutes in Elite. Mainly to test the headphones issue, which turned out fine with a standard pair. I'm still unhappy with the bland washed out colours, but maybe others won't notice it so much, depends on person I guess. I do intend to look at the Elite config files to see what I can do about it. Anyone else who tries this out when they get theirs may have some luck, maybe.

I used a display port monitor to change the colour settings in the Nvidia panel, then put the goggles back on, but no changes in the Rift S, only on the external monitor. Used to be able to do this with HDMI back in the old days with the CV1, Nvidia took that function away a while ago though.

The main cable is longer than the CV1 cable, which is good news, although it tends to fall in front of me, resolved that by using a hook on a nearby cabinet, hanging it from that taking the cable above and behind me.

I only searched briefly, but I read you can change the IPD setting in 'software', There was nothing I saw in the setup application which mentions it, and I can't find anything when I search on the Oculus site. Maybe someone can point it out to me ? :)

Last edited:
Just a quick question for you guys who already received the Rift S: is it correct that the Rift S will include a DisplayPort cable?

Just a quick question for you guys who already received the Rift S: is it correct that the Rift S will include a DisplayPort cable?
An adapter connector for a mini display_port (port shown in attached image) to connect the full size Display Port Rift cable comes with the Rift S.
As Heavy Groovez said, it's one cable from the head piece which forks of to a USB and Display Port connector.

Attachments

• Mini_Display_Port.jpg
    Mini_Display_Port.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 180
How does the FoV feel compare to the CV1?
Haven't had time to make too many comparisons as yet, which includes FoV.
I'm sure by the end of this week there'll be many more people in this forum sharing their Rift S stuff. I'm particularly interested on views on the overall image quality compared with other VR units.

It is only Display Port, and no, you also cannot use an adapter to change it to an HDMI port.
It will not work on anything else.

I know that the Rift S won't work with HDMI. But I wanted to know whether a Display Port CABLE is part of the Rift S. Because at the moment I do not have a DP-cable. I assume that a cable is included, but I'm not 100% sure.

I know that the Rift S won't work with HDMI. But I wanted to know whether a Display Port CABLE is part of the Rift S. Because at the moment I do not have a DP-cable. I assume that a cable is included, but I'm not 100% sure.
It does have the Display Port cable, and is hard wired to the head display. And it's about 15 feet long, I know this because I keep getting tangled up in it (not really, but I imagine some would). :)

Well just fired up ED for a quick look with the Rift S and OMG I cant believe how clear it is. For me i honestly didnt really notice the blacks to be that bad. Coming from the original Vive this is an amazing upgrade in clarity.

Top Bottom