Rift S...

Did a 5 hour Euro Truck session in the Rift S last night.

Maintaining 80fps with the in game scaling at 200% (the equivalent of 1.5x Pixel Density) was not a problem for my 2080Ti and on the rare occasion that the scene got poly-heavy (i was driving through some of the most intensive parts of Italy) ATW would keep things very fluid (I have ASW disabled in the debug tool and Pixel density set to 1).

For me maintaining a fluid reprojection free experience is the most critical part of the immersion. The tracking works fine but i was sat in a sim rig setup and not doing roomscale.

The S lenses are a huge step up from the CV1 with a sharp full field and very little scattered light. On the software side the distortion profile and the world scale are perfect. My IPD is 68mm.

Panels are outstanding. The stripe means that SDE is gone, you can see pixel structure if you really look for it but compared to pentile OLED and its lego brick tower effect its just not there. Color and contrast are very nice, not as saturated as the OLED in the Vive Pro but considerably more punchy than the 5k+ LCD. Blacks are black in high contrast scenes but in a dark, low contrast homochromatic scene (night driving down the motorway in the truck) backlight bleed is obvious and there is a distinct grey glow.

The halo design works really well as it takes a lot of the weight off your cheekbones. It took a bit of fiddling to get it right and i want to replace the gasket with a firmer one but thats no biggie. The fact i was able to do 5 hours without discomfort is testament to a good design.

In a nutshell its a very polished software and hardware experience and the result is truly immersive VR.

gg Oculus

I have the original Rift and now the Rift S - there is a marked difference in the graphix (in favor of S), the S is without earphones but sounds are more robust (for me). The fit is better in the S and the fact I dont have to use the 2 or more sensors is incredible. The S has what I would term as a look through - in other words I can see through the S to my keyboard and surroundings.
Overall the S is well worth the $$$.
As it relates to ED - the look and feel is more realistic as if I'm in the cockpit. I havent tried it on the surface yet - will try it tonight.

Great reviews so far! I sold my CV1 in February and I’ve had a few regrets since. Looks like I’ve given myself an excuse to get the S!

Further to my last post on some of the problems I was having with the S, I did a few trades and constantly swapped the CV1 with the S at each trading station. That planet which I previously noted was looking like a star, was also the same in the CV1. But what I didn't note before was that it was very close to the system star, so made sense...

Long and short, by constantly swapping the 2 HMD's I have to say that the S is way sharper, I notice the pixels in the CV1 all the time, but in the S not noticeable in play at all. The sharpness alone I think makes up for any colour/light differences between the 2, which based on the trading test I did is actually quite marginal.

So in all, in my case at least, I think the price was worth upgrading from the CV1. I am however very close to deciding whether to buy an Odyssey + as well. Should I??

The glasses problem I solved by finding an old pair of specs where the bridge wasn't so prominent.

I'm happy enough now not to do ANY more comparisons. Unless I get an Odyssey.

Please will you compare FoV? Maybe sit in the ASP E cockpit and see how much of those two side lights you can see either side of the HUD?

I have tested the FoV in the AspX. When looking to the front, i can´t see both lights. You need to tilt the head a handful of degrees, to see one of them. The side FoV seem quite close to the one of the original Rift after checking more focused. The up and down FoV has improved though. You actually see your jacket collar now, when looking a bit down at your VR body.

Also the nose gap is almost unnoticeable now.

Just got my S.

Displayport for a touch finicky, got it working.
Try my hand at some Robo recall as a method of checking differences in a well tuned VR game.
Very nice panels.
Improvement in everyway really, and the image and lenses are significantly better than the 5k+, seriously, it looks like pants compared to this unless you are running a 3kx3k per eye image.

Blacklevels, on par with the CV 1, if you don't disable spud.
But none of the problems that makes you need spud in the first place.
Haven't tested ED yet, just barely taken a look in the AV8, and it's silly how much easier things are to see, even when comparing with the pimax.

Problem though.
After I was about to try something a little more serious than robo recall, all I got was black screen.
But after I tweaked around a bit, I pulled the face mask off and unplugged replugged the cable in the HMD and presto, it lived again.

I am also getting my Logitech cans over the strap and cable, it's finicky getting on, but honestly once it's one it fits better than with the cv1 where the band would run behind my ear, and cause some leakage.

Doesn't compute. Just turn your head - this is what VR is for!
(Did you not know that your peripheral vision lacks detail?)
It's not really about turning my head, it is more about mah'immershun! When I first got my DK2, VR felt... oppressive; like wearing scuba gear. I would personnaly rather it felt slightly less like I am wearing scuba gear than it does now.

Obviously I am not arguing one second for not increasing resolution!!!! Bring me it! I am excited about the Rift S boost in resolution. I don't play room scale so this device isvery appealing to me

I have tested the FoV in the AspX. When looking to the front, i can´t see both lights. You need to tilt the head a handful of degrees, to see one of them. The side FoV seem quite close to the one of the original Rift after checking more focused. The up and down FoV has improved though. You actually see your jacket collar now, when looking a bit down at your VR body.

Also the nose gap is almost unnoticeable now.
Thanks!!
For me in CV1, I remember the lights also being just out of FoV. Now logging in to see how much I need to rotate....

Last edited:
As for fov.

It's about the same in general.

It might be more in the vertical.
But it's different in that instead of in the cv1 where it is rounded.

The edges are vertically just cut off, since I think that's simply the panel ending there.
One thing to note though is I perceive the same fov regardless of how I use the eye relief function.
So with this I can actually use my new glasses without issue.

As for fov.

It's about the same in general.

It might be more in the vertical.
But it's different in that instead of in the cv1 where it is rounded.

The edges are vertically just cut off, since I think that's simply the panel ending there.
One thing to note though is I perceive the same fov regardless of how I use the eye relief function.
So with this I can actually use my new glasses without issue.

Are they touching the lenses tho? Afraid of scratches 😕

I'm trying mine tomorrow, was away for a week, but it's there, waiting for me.
I have to say from what I read here I think I'm going to love it

I’m eagerly awaiting the arrival of my S today. I’m quite fed up with the CV1 sensors cutting out and not playing ball with my USB3.0 extension cords, so I’ll be happy to mothball them.

Quick question though for those who already have it: does the S work at all on Windows 7?

I have two rigs, one with 7 and one with 10. I’d prefer to run it on 7 since that rig is my main living room PC, and I can’t upgrade to 10 on that one since many of my older games will not work with 10 (Flight Simulator X, for example).

Oculus requires DirectX 11 which is compatible all the way back to Windows 7.
Yeah, but it’s always whining about the fact that I don’t have 10, and there are a myriad of glitches and hiccups with my CV1 (mostly with connectivity) that I suspect are related to the fact that I’m running on 7. Plus, the system requirements for the S don’t include 7.

Are they touching the lenses tho? Afraid of scratches 😕

I'm trying mine tomorrow, was away for a week, but it's there, waiting for me.
I have to say from what I read here I think I'm going to love it
Nope, nice and roomy, compared to the vive even, especially compared to the pimax that lulled me into thinking it had room, but ended up scratching my left lens in half a beat saber song.
Luckily it's outside the main fov for my specs.
Oculus requires DirectX 11 which is compatible all the way back to Windows 7.
It runs, but anything that has to do with asynchronous processing will not.
And that is considered such a beneficial feature in VR that they no longer consider win 7 as a supported OS.

I could also mention that I have an ipd in VR, at least the setting for old I have had the most success with.
Is 64.5mm

So I couldn't be more ideal for the S in that regard.

There is no sweet spot for me in these lenses.

It's all sharp, maybe like the last few pixels towards the edge it blurs a little.
But that could also be my glasses.

At 1x pd it's sharper and more legible than the 5k+ with an almost surprising margin.

Scale is spot on.
Things has always seemed a touch small to me in the cv1.

There is no motion blurring in the panel, which just seems to make everything feel more real as well.
Honestly been so used to the blurry sludge that has been the oled panels this was rather surprising.

What do people with measured IPDs 70 or greater think about the Rift S?

It varies.
On reddit I'm reading comments of people with 70mm IPD, and it ranges from "it's awesome and sharp" or it's a "a blurry mess, I'm returning it."

I would definitely try before buying, or at least buy somewhere with a non hassle returns policy.

Top Bottom